Soto Uke, or Inner body block practical applications.

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I was doing a defensive drill, and thought to try the above named deflection. I had watched a number of videos and learning the move was not hard. In fact the movement is very similar to a defensive movement I already new. I was using what is called the Inside Parry, here is a video of it. http://www.myboxingcoach.com/boxing-techniques-parry-punches-lead-hand/

Now having done the soto uke,(inside body block in TKD I think) in my drill I encountered a similar problem that I have with my parry. When I employ it, it tends to redirect my opponent, making it more difficult to counter attack with my rear hand. SO far the only real counter I can use is a rear straight(right cross) to the face. I thought about employing a Long hook off the rear side, but I don't have enough practice on the rear hand hook to employ it effectively.

Now, im adding the block to my defensive skill set because I like the attributes of it. Sure im having problems using my skillset to deal with the forcefull redirection of the opponent, but seriously that's a good thing. My opponent was off balance and no threat for that moment. Secondly, its like a hammer strike to the forearms. I would imagine using that at full speed, in self defense or in a cagefight would hurt a lot(or worse) for my opponent.

So, I am in need of training suggestions. Are there other tactics I should be considering over just employing a rear straight? How about trapping with the rear hand and going for a throw? I know I will ultimately have to sort this my self, but having things I can try in my defensive drills is a great thing for me. Im wide open to suggestions.

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, figured I would add this. I was just reading Dan Djurivics blog, and apparently I butchered this deflection... While I got the motion correct during my defense drill, I impacted with the wrong area. Apparently it is sapposed to impact with the single bone in the forearm. I just went with my instinct when I used it. Impacting with my hammer fist felt natural, and powerfull. I hesitate to use any block that only employs the single bone. When I used the hammer part of my fist it was more of a damaging redirecting strike to the forearm.

Hmm, what do you guys think? The hammer fist is already there, when doing the technique properly.(albeit its upside down) If I am infact doing that particular move incorrectly, have I just stumbled into a different move with a different name?

I like the move, I guess I need more practice. which is ok because I love defensive drills.

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
They are variations of the same move. I believe that most styles do teach to use the bone of the forearm, as Dan does, because it gives you a much wider margin of error than trying to hammerfist their attack. Also, the bone of the forearm is plenty strong enough for this deflection, so don't worry about that. That said, if you CAN use a hammerfist to strike a pressure point when you deflect an attack with it, then there is nothing stopping you. Technically, you could call the hammerfist version by another name--maybe osae-uke (pressing deflection), otoshi-uke (dropping deflection), tetsui-uke (hammerfist deflection), or some combination of those--but I don't think it really matters that much.

With regards to following up this deflection, are you looking for a combination for sport fighting, or self defense? Also, are you going to the inside or the outside when you use this technique?

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Primarily for Self defense. Most times I have employed it, I ended up going to the outside of the partner. Which increases the distance between us. Basicly im hoping for self defense applications, as a cage fight is a long ways away for me, mostly a bucket list item.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, you can use it as a way of passing an arm and grabbing the elbow/shoulder, or crouching down and initiating a low-line grapple like a double leg takedown or bodylock.
Or you can use the block/parry as a forearm strike to the neck from behind, or a stab with a downward held pointed weapon.
Or if you block on the inside of the arm you can come back with a hit to the head or neck, or you can switch arms and hook punch over their arm.

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Cyriacus thanks for the suggestions. Im going to try those when we do our drill again. Im especially intriqued by the thought of grabbing the shoulder or arm and going for a takedown.. Going for a double leg(or single leg depending on the angle of entry) from that deflection sounds like a nice combination to set up ground grappling..
Tho im still not very skilled on the ground, it would be a viable self defense technique, to use if I wish to finish a attacker on the ground. Say with a khimura or maybe a lapel choke.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cyriacus thanks for the suggestions. Im going to try those when we do our drill again. Im especially intriqued by the thought of grabbing the shoulder or arm and going for a takedown.. Going for a double leg(or single leg depending on the angle of entry) from that deflection sounds like a nice combination to set up ground grappling..
Tho im still not very skilled on the ground, it would be a viable self defense technique, to use if I wish to finish a attacker on the ground. Say with a khimura or maybe a lapel choke.

Personally, i use a double leg sort of thing, only ill exploit the offset to lift them up a bit first, before tossing their legs and taking them down. Then from there you *should* land sideward on top of them. From there i normally crouch and start punching, but i can see a whole assortment of other more grapply things working too.

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep, that is one the ways im taught to do a double leg takedown. Apparently there are more then a few variations of ways to do it. I have not tried it from that angle. We do have a "modified side mount" that we use for our rear takedown. We have a haymaker defense drill, were we duck under the haymaker, and come to the rear and do a rear takedown, landing in a modified side mount. Its modified because the opponent is on his side, and were ontop of him. Its a weird looking thing, but it works because we have lots of control over them.

Latest Discussions