Technique Q: Palm Strike

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Palm attacks are one of those techniques that I just can't seem to improve. Anyone got some advice as to how it should be done?

I'm interested in the nitty gritty details: how you practice the palm strike, and how you use it, for sparring, self-defense, or even board breaks.

If you like, feel free to also discuss when you would use one or why.

S

ShaolinWolf

I love doing palm heel strike on boards...I could do that all day. It's such an easy technique to break with. But seriously, I just practice the technique in the air ALOT...That's how I've gotten better at it.

G

Gary Crawford

Palm strike has the same basics power wise as punching,hip movement

OP
Zepp

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gary Crawford said:
Palm strike has the same basics power wise as punching,hip movement

That's how I usually throw one, like a punch. But it doesn't seem to have the same power as a punch. I know that a palm strike can become as powerful as a punch- what I'd like to know, if anyone can tell me, is how to make mine as powerful as a punch.

G

Gary Crawford

dificult to say,I've never had any problem getting punch like power out of it,maybe my punches suck!lol but seriously,could it be your elbow position?Could it be something that is holding you back mentally?Try this:find a breakable target,hold your arm as rigidly as possible with elbow down and slightly bent then concitrate your leg and hip motion only,when that feels good,allow you arm to extend.Maybe you are extending your arm too much before contact.I hope this helps

R

RHD

Palm strikes, are often misunderstood. and even more often executed incorrectly. Most Chinese systems use palms extensively. They are not done with the palm heel, but rather the center of the palm. They are launched with a variety of different types of energy...a wave like motion, short power, slapping, slicing, etc...The delivery method varies with the type of palm you throw. Palms are typically viewed as easier to deliver power from than fists, because they're structurally superior. They can take a lot more force because it's distributed over more surface area. They are also delivered in a relaxed fashion, tensing the palm dampens the kinetic force. a palm should crack like a whip or drive through with a heavy pushing motion. If you're looking to increase the power of your palm strike I would suggest some cross training with a system that emphasizes the plam as its main weapon. Good luck!
Mike

Zepp said:
Palm attacks are one of those techniques that I just can't seem to improve. Anyone got some advice as to how it should be done?

I'm interested in the nitty gritty details: how you practice the palm strike, and how you use it, for sparring, self-defense, or even board breaks.

Aim 2-3 inches deeper than the surface of your target and tilt your hand slightly inward still using body rotation as if throwing a punch

M

Matt Bernius

couple other quick tips (note that these are coming out of a CMA point of view). RHD already pointed out a lot of great things. Hree are a few more:

1. The palm is never rigid. In fact, if I had to describe it's feeling, its like its made of wet clay. Cupped wet clay. One way to see this is to check if your finger "fan foward" slightly, .

2. Is that when the palm hits, it hits inward using a wave like motion and then recoils like a whip.

When done correctly, the palm can be a far suppior weapon to a fist (though there are many situations where a fist works better). What the palm has going for it is, once praticed, that it can be delivered in a very powerful and relaxed fashion. It's also much more difficult to break your hand stiking with a palm.

- Matt

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Zepp said:

The two different ways have already been outlined. Palm heel vs. entire palm.

The two ways I practice are in the air and on a heavy bag, single and double strikes. My arm position is similar to a punch, from the waist, extend it out palm down and a couple inches from the target I turn the fingers up.

Use in sparring is difficult because of the gloves. A MMA glove or wristwrap glove would allow you to that strike but there isn't a lot of padding in the middle so use caution.

Self-defense wise it's nice because you don't tear up the hand as much as when you hit with a punch. The structure of the hand seems to absorb striking a hard surface better. The palm heel is the classic jam the nose into the brain, instant kill, women's self-defense move.

Palm strike is the required break for a couple of our lower belt tests.

This is a good all around strike. I use it when hitting to the body, it works best for that. I have also seen spinning techniques to the face that look effective.

When you say you want to make your palm strike powerful like a punch what do you mean? Speed with the arm? When it hits a target?

When you are hitting a target remember that the power dissipates really quickly. It hits and the target absorbs it, that is why palms generally don't bruise but they hurt like hell. Punches hit with about a quarter size target, depending on which knuckles you hit with. Regardless, even if you hit with all four knuckles the surface areas are very different with the palm being much larger.

Finally look at the structure of the strike. With a punch the wrist is aligned with the fist. Your arm absorbs the impact. A palm doesn't have a lot of support up near the fingers so when you the target it can bend the wrist back. The wrists need to be stronger than with the punch, IMO.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pam strike if used similar or practiced like a punch won't reach is potential. It will almost be a reaching technique. The footwork will be off as well. A good palm strike should be executed with ones feet about a half a step closer to your target than a punch. Theres no "wind up" or torque like we get from a punch.

Its used effectively in the intercepting/trapping range. Used in combination with footwork the power comes up from the ground without the "windup or torque. Your hands are in front of you. Not at the hip or by your head (like a boxer).

If you were to punch from the head, your energy would flow from the shoulder which approriately calls for a punch. A palm strikes energy is closer to that a the strike coming from the hip but the focus is on the an in-close short strike.

If you were in kicking range, you kick, and in punching range, you punch. So a bit closer (half step or so) calls for a shorter strike. Palm, shoto, eyejab etc.

I use an Iron Palm to the side of the head which leaves a ringing in the head. The fingers must be inverted backwards so that only the palm makes contact or it will be a slap.

For practice, a sand bag or bean bag or even a bag of rice in a canvas bag (not a wrapped in plastic). Place the bag on a table (at around waist height) and just hit it from about chest height down to the bag. Work your strikes lower to shorten the distance to eventually be able to use more power from a shorter distance. You can also develop your shoto this way.

Differant styles practice the palm strike differantly and if you disected your kata it would probably come from your hip. But you have to ask yourself. Are you developing your kata or and effective palm strike? It is said that in ancient times the Iron Palm Strike was used on the battle field to crush the skulls of their downed opponets. If that is true then the method of training with the sand bag is closet to that motion. :asian:

G

Gary Crawford

So many interesting concepts to palm strikes!I wish we all could get together and explore them all.I know that I don't articulate things very well sometimes and sometimes some of you do the samething I do.I assume that the person questioning is doing some things.In a real student asking the question situation,most of us do the same thing,start by asking the student to demonstrate what they think is right,then we correct and adjust.It's always just a shot in the dark when we try to diagnose through text.

M

moving target

well one thing, palm strikes are a slightly closer range technique than a punch (as akja pointed out). From working on focus mits I noticed my palm strikes though connecting with body weight realy didn't have any snap to them, they didn't have that rapid acceleration that my punches did. I was just to tence with it, now I usualy throw palm strikes with my hand very relaxed and pull the palm back into position right before impact (I'm referng to palm heal strikes here).

G

Gary Crawford

using "focus mitts" ,they should be held to your holders chest,not like regular punching,you'll be able to understand the type of power they deliver that way

OP
Zepp

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thank you everyone who has replied so far. You've given me a few new things to try out. I'll let you guys know if I find something that works particularly well.

I figure I should probably mention, that I've successfully done a 2-board break with a palm strike before, thrown like a punch. I didn't say that earlier because I was looking for responses of a more basic nature to help me improve. I'm trying to turn my hands into more versatile weapons overall.

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
kenpo_cory said:
That is physically impossible to do.

Yes, I know. That is why it is so ridiculous that it's taught in self-defense seminars as being possible. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jkn75 said:
The two different ways have already been outlined. Palm heel vs. entire palm
I have noticed no one has mentioned the third method. I'd tell you what it was but then I would have to kill... :asian:
Sean

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
I have noticed no one has mentioned the third method. I'd tell you what it was but then I would have to kill... :asian:
Sean

You didnt say what you would have to kill. Maybe we can work out a deal. :cool:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpo_cory said:
You didnt say what you would have to kill. Maybe we can work out a deal. :cool:
Well OK, There are actualy four if you count the two I'm mentioning. Create a cup with your fingers long or short(thats two). By doing this you trap air between your palm and your target. The concussion can really do some serious damage to internal organs.
Sean :asian:

Latest Discussions