need a creit card

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
hey just got a captial one card and they suck anyone know where to go to get a good card . I need to get a new one cause I am flying to reno soon.

thanks

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a "good" credit card.

They are evil: EVIL.

Do yourself a favor and swear them all off before it is too late.

Instead, get a debit card.

Don't let the law of compounded interest destroy your finances.

Save into a checking account and spend out of it with a debit card.

Once again, just in case the message is not getting through:

CREDIT CARD = EVIL

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Save up the money for the trip. If you are looking for a good fare to fly to Reno, then shop around for a good price. Find some quick temporary work or do service to earn some money. Ask your neighbors or friends what you can do (repair work if you are skilled at that or yard work, etc.) to earn money.

If you must have a card, then debit card is probably the best way, since you can only spend up to what you put in there.

A credit card can be a good thing for emergencies only, but with the caveat that it should all be paid back, preferably before next use. These should strictly be true emergencies (such as new tires to replace blown ones), not pseudo-emergencies or wants (a run to the store to buy another six pack of beer for tonight's party or the latest stereo system that just came out on the market).

The main problem with a credit card is the temptation to spend is there--thinking "I have a bit of money available (on credit) and I have to have (whatever item desired); I can pay it back later and do it easily." Sometimes life happens and the ability to pay back could be interrupted. The spending of borrowed money tends to add up and if you're not able to pay it off in full each time, the amount accrues in interest. THe longer you postpone in paying while still spending, the higher the interest rate tends to climb, until you're paying almost everything to interest and little to principal. Not a good thing. Avoid credit cards (or at least minimize use) whenever possible.

- Ceicei

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a "good" credit card.

They are evil: EVIL.

Do yourself a favor and swear them all off before it is too late.

Instead, get a debit card.

Don't let the law of compounded interest destroy your finances.

Save into a checking account and spend out of it with a debit card.

Once again, just in case the message is not getting through:

CREDIT CARD = EVIL

AMEN Brother...The evil cards put me in bankrupcy court...Read and Heed this post...

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
hey just got a captial one card and they suck anyone know where to go to get a good card . I need to get a new one cause I am flying to reno soon.

thanks
Never had a credit card, and I never will. Grandpa always taught me not to buy anything unless I had the money to pay for it. Wise words. :asian:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
take travel checks and forget the CC man, pass on them they are the devil in disguise.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
PURE EVIL. Concentrated evil. Like in the movie "Time Bandits."

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Get one issued through your bank.

Capital One sucks is right. http://www.cap1sucks.com/

I tried using their protection plan once. They kept losing the papers, and socking me with fees as a result.

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
the reason i want to get a card is cause I am going to reno in 2 weeks for the police test and so it is last min. Anyways yea I was just wondering what one was the lowest intrest rate.

adam

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the reason i want to get a card is cause I am going to reno in 2 weeks for the police test and so it is last min. Anyways yea I was just wondering what one was the lowest intrest rate.

adam

Discover Card has a good rate and is a good card. I didn't know Capitol One was such a bad card, I use mine all the time. (Yes, you all are right, credit cards are the devil. Unfortunately, I use the devil too damn much.)

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
hey look like i will try to get a master card college card or airfair one cause i will be using it for airfair mainly.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
Credit cards are evil, but if you have to have one, I would say go with MBNA, you can probably find one from them with 12 mons no interest, giving you a bit of time to pay off the trip to reno. I have chase cards too, but chase pissed me off by drastically raising my interest rate without warning and for no good reason. But if you want something with points chase has a lot to choose from with no annual fees, like airline miles. If you want best interest rate then you might have to call around and try to play companies off each other.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PURE EVIL. Concentrated evil. Like in the movie "Time Bandits."

I filed banckrupcy in Aug of 96 I was discharged in Oct 96..I got mt first credit card application a week after the discharge...Go figure...

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
I filed banckrupcy in Aug of 96 I was discharged in Oct 96..I got mt first credit card application a week after the discharge...Go figure...

I loose my job and most any opportunity to stay in my industry if I file for bancruptcy....good incentive to keep a reign on my expenses

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
...but chase pissed me off by drastically raising my interest rate without warning and for no good reason.

because....

(wait for it....)

credit card companies are EVIL!

Get a small personal loan from your bank: at least the interest rate will remain the same while you pay it off.

They used to have a name (and laws!) for the type of credit that credit card companies offer: usuary.

It is an abomination. Did I mention "evil"? ;)

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Believe it or not South Dakota and the few states your statements come from do not have laws to protect consumers, that is why the devil is there in his offices.

I am certainly no innocent, just a messenger.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I loose my job and most any opportunity to stay in my industry if I file for bancruptcy....good incentive to keep a reign on my expenses

Thankfully I had no business to worry about and the laws up here had not changed so it was a good thing...I think my wfe and I have one card for emergency purposes..I take when I travel to seminars just in case...

Eternal White Belt

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No one needs a credit card. Pay cash for everything. If you don't have the cast, you don't buy it. Have an emergency fund in a savings account that you can dip into for . . . emergencies . . . because, hey, life happens.

Here's one reason not to have a credit card:

(1) First time offense gets LIFE at Providian.
Each time you default… we may increase the APRs on your account up to a maximum of the Default APR (31.99%)
Providian has a couple of class action lawsuits (on that topped 400 million). If big tobacco started a credit card company, they'd call it Providian. If there's a poster child for CreditCard.org Lemon Award nomination, it'd be Providian, the first bank ever to charge you for a credit card credit line.

Read more here:
http://www.creditcard.org/CreditCard.org-Lemon-Award.htm

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unfortunately credit cards often are needed. Trying to book a hotel, or even a campsite without one? Good luck.

Latest Discussions