Name that Poomsae...

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you see the poomsae moves and what poomsae they are. Practice your poomsae everyone. Poomsae makes you better in the ring. I tell all my students this but none of them every listen. -___-

I like Taeguek 8's half mountain stance, Many don't know it is a throw.

[yt]gvZZzqGHaek[/yt]

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Which is half mountain stance in Taegeuk 8? I don't remember any technique in that form designated as a throw but I could be wrong.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Also so far I see Taebek, Taegeuk 5, Taegeuk 7. Koryo and Taegeuk 8 as well.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I get what you're calling half-mountain. At the top of Pal Jang, it's been described to me as an angled front stance with a low block and a high section in-to-outside block...makes more sense as a throw than anyting else. It's not designated as a throw, but it's not a big stretch to see the movement as one.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks ATC, the application of moves in poomsae always interests me. Its probably something we could do more of in tkd in my opinion. I usually find the students who excell at form are generally good at sparring.

Marcy Shoberg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I started reading a book once about secret grappling moves in Tae Geuk forms. I think it was called "the Tae Geuk Cipher." I got frustrated and gave up on the book when I decided if the tae geuk forms contain secret grappling moves, they did not successfully teach me to do these moves since I did not know I was learning them.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
At what time in the attached is the half-mountain stance?

Last edited by a moderator:

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It feels like the awakening of the taekwondoin.
I've been seeing and reading a lot about this in karate, and I don't see why poomsae and kata would be used for different reasons. I know this has been overlooked in karate as well, but I've mostly found info about it only in karate (but I know there are a few sources in taekwondo, anyway). It is good to see taekwondo people now working on poomsae applications, I do believe they were made for that (among with other finalities). The video seems to show still only very basic uses for the movements, but I believe it's already a great improvement compared to a sequence of movements students often learn only as a requirement for grading.

Anyway, I believe who studies poomsae applications should probably be better with self defense uses, but as for "in the ring" it becomes problematic. At least for WTF rules (the only rule set I know better), it doesn't seem very useful, once so many techniques are forbidden and other are not recommended for not awarding points.

Last edited:

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just adding to the previous comment:

I would like to say I have the impression that some great martial artists are making a valuable work of retrieving and reconstructing the historical and traditional techniques and methods of martial arts. If there's room for every good use of taekwondo (sport, fitness...), I believe this is a very welcome effort.