My martial art is better than your martial art

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Rook said:
Why would this matter? .

It shows you have knowledge in the subject of which you speak beyond casual observer, and I can only assume your avoidance of the question means you do not have said knowledge.

I have asked that question several times in similar conversations both on and off MT and you would be surprised that never once did I get the answer "I train MMA", which I can only assume you do not train either.

Rook said:
It is a fighting system created in China origionally for military use. Its top proponents utilize modern western boxing punches, modern kickboxing kicks, western wrestling takedowns. While Sanda competitions are open to traditional CMAists, modern San Shou competition bears little resemblance to anything but kickboxing with takedowns.

Yes and no, it exists in 3 versions, which are all a bit different, see my previous post. And it is very Chinese to be honest.

Rook said:
Lee trains in a modern manner in a modernized style.

And it is still not MMA training, how then do you explain his success?

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
<<< sung in my best falsetto >>>>>

All we are saaaayyiiiinngg...

Is give peace a chaaaaaance

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you cant fight, than you are not practicing martial arts. I dont understand how this can even be debated. The word martial does have a meaning, maybe some people should look it up.
If you cant fight, your art is not martial. Or maybe it is, but you just suck.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rook said:
Ok. Let me try and clarify. Stuff without video or any sort of independant confirmation from reliable sources relies purely on the word of the person telling the story. Sometimes people, myself included, just take them at their word because it isn't worth debating whether something actually happened. However, when something is trotted out as the premises for a conclusion, there should be some sort of verifiable truth to it - a police report, a credible journalistic account, court testimony, video, things of that nature. They still aren't foolproof, but I don't think that a situation in which one side presents extensive evidence and the other presents nothing but their conclusion on the grounds that they say so, who to believe is an easy question.

To say that the only way is to have something taped is biased at best. Again, there have been many cases of people defending themselves and these incidents are most likely not taped. If you choose to not believe something due to this, that is your choice. I'm interested in seeing these fights that take place outside of the ring without any conditions. A fight on a beach with a group of people circled around hardly counts IMO due to the fact that its a preset location, and no other involvement from bystanders, no weapons, etc.

You mean exist as in used on the streets? I am not aware of any style that has more than one or two videos of actual street attacks with knives... the literature and training in this area is pretty speculative. Concluding the efficacy of BJJ or Sambo or MMA counterknifetraining vs. any other style would be problematic.

If MMA is superior to TMAs, that would mean that its versed in all areas, weapons and mult. attackers included. I have not seen a BJJ or MMA curriculum that addresses this. As for my reference to video: There are countless BJJ tapes put out by a number of Brazilian guys, addressing the guard, mount, side control, etc., but I have not seen a BJJ knife defense tape.

It might or might not have happened. Without any verification, we have no reason to believe it did or did not. That doesn't make much for convincing proof.

See above.

Mike

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
If you cant fight, than you are not practicing martial arts. I dont understand how this can even be debated. The word martial does have a meaning, maybe some people should look it up.
If you cant fight, your art is not martial. Or maybe it is, but you just suck.

I don’t think I would have put it that way, but you are right direct and to the point, and I can appreciate that.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
I don’t think I would have put it that way, but you are right direct and to the point, and I can appreciate that.
That might not be the most political correct way to say it, but this is a topic that requires people to be a little more blunt.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
That might not be the most political correct way to say it, but this is a topic that requires people to be a little more blunt.

It has much less to do with politically correct (I am far from being that myself) and more to do with being direct and to the point (blunt), I tend to be way too verbose.

The problem is that I tend to be much nicer and tolerant on MT in responses and posts than I am in real life so I get a bit wordy from time to time.

As I said I appreciate the bluntness.

Latest Discussions