My kicks video plz critique

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
big thanks for typing that out. can i do a video of my slow motion technique to see if im doing it good ? it doesnt seem like the way they teach you will get any power with that "bring your knee up, turn it over, flick your leg out, being i back down" thing

There are great people here, but our typing words can't be the same as your instructor on the floor. We can't fill in enough words to cover all the detail you get face-to-face as you train. Because of that, the more you learn, the more the discussion here will make sense and be helpful because you'll be able to fill in gaps yourself...and your questions will get more specific. BTW, welcome to a great forum. Keep training and have fun!

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kicks may be done differently depending on purpose. For spoarring, the optimal roundhose kick is done in the shortest elapsed time. For power breaking elapsed time takes a backseat to power. (Note: Shortest elapsed time - from initiation to contact does not neccessarily translate to kixck which has the foot traveling at the fastest speed at impact.)Similarly, for power breaks the Ball of the foot is optimal, but with sparring gear footwear this is difficult to accomplish. Now, for specific critique:1. Ditto on the illadvised dropping the kicking side hand. This is an invitation to getting clocled in the face. 2. Your motion starts with the lead foot stepping and turning. A definite "telegraph" to the turning kick coming. This also requires a weight shift to the lead foot and lifting the rear foot to kick. 3. Your rear foot is facing sideways and flat. It should be on the ball of the foot facing forward this allows you to initate the motion with a push off of the rear foot, without the lead foot step and weight shift telegraph. 4. The back kick has you facing away when the kick extends. An invitation for the opponent to close the gap and be on you like ugly on a dog. See: http://371078645507472465-a-1802744...ogB-rrQpOhjleI3nNf0JkncFGrPxs=&attredirects=0

OP
I

Iwannakick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
in a few hours im going to post a new video when im using these tips and then you can tell me if its better plz

OP
I

Iwannakick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I feel like im still not doing that great =/

Last edited by a moderator:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just keep practicing, and like StudentCarl alread stated, you need to just listen to your instructor in class. At white belt you simply need to do what you instructor is teaching you and let that grow or advance. Anything else will only hurt you at this stage. Go to class, do what is taught and use this forum as entertainment for now and enjoyment. I know that if I were teaching a kid as a white belt and he kept having what I taught changed or altered, I might release that student from class if he did not stop doing so.

Each school is different and teach differently. One schools methods may not be the methods of another and to go outside those methods could slow down your progress or growth.

Just go to class and get better under your instructors guide.

OP
I

Iwannakick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know =/ my instructor just doesnt really teach me or doesnt ever tell me what to change on roudhouse kicks he usuall is just walking around when we're doing roundhouse kicks, I would goto a diff school but I am on a 1 year contract and have to pay to leave

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know =/ my instructor just doesnt really teach me or doesnt ever tell me what to change on roudhouse kicks he usuall is just walking around when we're doing roundhouse kicks, I would goto a diff school but I am on a 1 year contract and have to pay to leave

What has your instructor taught you about stance? Nothing in martial arts is independent. The way you stand before, during, and after the kick will have an impact in how successful/powerful/accurate/effective your kicking technique is.

How long have you been training? If you're a white belt, it seems awfully fast to decide you'd rather be somewhere else. What specifically has made you think about leaving your school? It takes a lot more than a few classes to know what you're getting yourself in to, and unless you're getting regularly injured or treated with extreme disrespect my general suggestion would be patience. But I'm not there. So what is it about the classes you've attended that makes you want to leave?

-Rob

OP
I

Iwannakick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I geuss i dont want to leave i just feel like we do more workouts then actually learning kick technique

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I geuss i dont want to leave i just feel like we do more workouts then actually learning kick technique

That's fair. That may also be a reflection of the fact that you are in the beginner class. My beginners do more calisthenics because I need to help them get in to better training shape. My intermediates train a lot harder, so they don't need as many pushups and jumping jacks.

Often with beginners instructors will allow their technique to be sloppy because they recognize that beginners are only ever going to be so finely tuned. So they'll make small corrections over time, slowly cleaning up your technique, while you continue to train and improve. If they told you the fifty things you're doing wrong all at once, most students would just implode and give up. So they let forty nine things slide and just focus on one at a time.

Look around at the upper belts. What does their technique look like? Is it still sloppy and uncoordinated? Or is it significantly better. If there's a big difference between the beginners and the advanced, and there should be, then you just need to be patient. You'll get there too. But it takes time. I've been doing karate for fifteen years and I'm still working on my roundhouse kick. You'll get there, but you won't get there over night.

Approach your instructor after class. Ask him if he'd watch you do some kicks in the air and on the bag and see if he has any pointers for you. Ask him for specific drills and activities you can do at home to work on your technique. Maybe he isn't focusing on you because he doesn't know you are desperate for individual attention. So speak up, politely and respectfully. As an instructor, I always appreciate the students who want more homework. If you're practicing, and hungry, and doing what you're told first, there's a good chance your instructor will be happy to give you more to do.

Give it time. My students train for almost a year before they first start sparring. Sometimes I have students who want to start earlier, but there's a reason I teach things the way I do. Hopefully, there's a reason why your instructors do what they do too. But getting good at karate takes more than a map. It takes a lot of hard work on your part.

Your kick looks like it's getting better. Keep training.

-Rob

OP
I

Iwannakick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, I never thought about looking at the black belts. Yeah they're good they can do the double kick stuff which is awesome :D and alos tornado kicks and hook kicks

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks, I never thought about looking at the black belts. Yeah they're good they can do the double kick stuff which is awesome :D and alos tornado kicks and hook kicks

Ok. That's good. Then you know that the method of instruction they are using at your school works. It's just a matter of time. So be patient, keep training, and someday you'll look back and be surprised at just how far you've come. It takes a while. Anybody with less than a year under their belt is still a beginner at my school. And once they finally become an intermediate, that just means they're ready to start to learn how to fight. The journey you've begun is a long and arduous one. But if you take one step at a time, right foot, left foot, you'll get everywhere you can imagine you could be in martial arts.

-Rob

OP
I

Iwannakick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You should be like a philosipher lol you have good sayings :D thanks

Latest Discussions