what do i do

irishman

White Belt
Reaction score
im new to martial arts and i got cocky after fightin in a tournament that i start breakin boards and stuff like that. well i punched a brick wall and broke through but my middle knuckle on my right hand was stiff and a little sore when i extended it. i went to the doctors and she told me that it was chipped and theres not much i can do for it. so i just let it heal but now its about 25% bigger then my left hand. its been about a month and a half and im wondering if there is anything i can do to strengthen it or make sure it can still hit things without chipping the bone. cuz i would still like to practice the martial arts but i dont wanna make my hand any worse.

plz help

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, being in martial arts is much more than just knowing how to fight.

What kind of styles interest you? There are several videoclips around of different types (not all are good representation of what the style is, though), some here and some through the internet.

What do you seek to accomplish? What are your goals? What is available in your area?

You may want to make a visit to a few places around, observe some schools in action (training), and maybe ask to take a trial class or two to see if you might like it.

- Ceicei

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, being in martial arts is much more than just knowing how to fight.

What kind of styles interest you? There are several videoclips around of different types (not all are good representation of what the style is, though), some here and some through the internet.

What do you seek to accomplish? What are your goals? What is available in your area?

You may want to make a visit to a few places around, observe some schools in action (training), and maybe ask to take a trial class or two to see if you might like it.

- Ceicei

Ceicei said about everything that I was going to..Look into Hapkido or Aikido, no board breaking..I too have a knuckle that "rides" a little higher due to a bad break..You learn to live with it...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like Drac, I can't add much to what CeiCei said. So you have one knuckle bigger than the others... so don't break with that hand. As a white belt, you shouldn't be breaking with punches anyway. Let it rest, and see if the swelling goes down over a longer period of time - and make sure it stays limber.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
If your hand hurts then don't do any breaking with it. Also, what drac said about an aikido or hapkido class will be good for you.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
im new to martial arts and i got cocky after fightin in a tournament that i start breakin boards and stuff like that. well i punched a brick wall and broke through but my middle knuckle on my right hand was stiff and a little sore when i extended it. i went to the doctors and she told me that it was chipped and theres not much i can do for it. so i just let it heal but now its about 25% bigger then my left hand. its been about a month and a half and im wondering if there is anything i can do to strengthen it or make sure it can still hit things without chipping the bone. cuz i would still like to practice the martial arts but i dont wanna make my hand any worse.

plz help
Why'd you feel the need to punch through a brick wall? They make tools that do that much easier, when it's needed...

It's going to take at least 2 or 3 months for the knuckle to heal -- unless you inflict new injuries on it. And it may never be like it was. I have several knuckles that are messed up because of being a young idiot with a bad temper, and punching walls. I have some permanent problems because of that. It ain't worth it. Take your time, let your knuckle heal, and practice forms without striking until then. (And, if you decide to go into breaking in the future -- make sure you hit with a good fist. It's not 100% -- but I'd be willing to bet you didn't have a solid & tight fist when you hit that wall, or that you hit it with the wrong knuckles.)

w.kaer

Green Belt
Reaction score

plz help

I am reminded of a joke. A man walks into a doctor's office and says to the doctor "It hurts when I do this." The doctor replies "Don't do that. That will be $25."

Just kidding. (Laughing with you, not at you.) My suggestion on starting with breaking techniques would be to use harder parts of your body to start. Try starting with elbows, hammerfist, or knife edge strikes. The knuckles (as you have learned) are not as forgiving if the technique is not right.:asian:

Latest Discussions