My instructor's school hit by car!!

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is my friend and instructor in Redding's (Northern California) school- Mr. Scott Halsey. The studio is located on a corner where a busy road winds by. The school has been hit by cars before- cars that have veered too wide, etc. Pretty crazy this time!!

Karate school suffers blow

Students in white robes kicked and punched in the open air Wednesday as cars drove by a gaping hole in the front of their karate school.
The owner of Scott Halsey's Kenpo Karate, on the corner of Market and Tehama streets, said an intoxicated driver crashed into his martial arts school early Wednesday.
The driver was identified in police and jail logs as Jacob Tracy Mosteller, 32, of Redding. He was being held on suspicion of drug charges and driving under the influence.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yikes...

I hope nobody was hurt.

I also hope they lock up the guy for a good amount of time.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shodan said:
This is my friend and instructor in Redding's (Northern California) school- Mr. Scott Halsey. The studio is located on a corner where a busy road winds by. The school has been hit by cars before- cars that have veered too wide, etc. Pretty crazy this time!!

I hope the building damage wasn't too bad. Would it be covered by the driver's insurance?

- Ceicei

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
I hope the building damage wasn't too bad. Would it be covered by the driver's insurance?

- Ceicei

Unfortunately, those kinds of drivers with such pasts, stand more than a fair chance of being uninsured.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
Unfortunately, those kinds of drivers with such pasts, stand more than a fair chance of being uninsured.

Especially if there may be a prior on DUI.... (and not to mention getting a drug charge on this one). I hope things work out for the best with the school.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh My! :xtrmshock

Hope everyone is all right!

How long until you are able to train in there again?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this, does your owner carry building insurance?
Terry

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Oh My! :xtrmshock

Hope everyone is all right!

How long until you are able to train in there again?

Looks like they're already training according to this line in the article:

Students in white robes kicked and punched in the open air Wednesday as cars drove by a gaping hole in the front of their karate school.

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks all!! Yeah- back to training- open-air style for awhile. The construction guys are piecing the hole back together. Fortunately, nobody was injured as it happened early morning.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Damn! :erg: How would you defend against a car coming through your wall...? Sorry, it was the first thing that popped in there.

Glad no one was hurt.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At least no people were hurt. How long will it take to fix the damage? And, as several people have asked, is there any insurance coverage?

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
what did the driver say?.....

glad no one was hurt! i bet the big hole exposing the students draws some attention. what was Mr. Halseys first reaction?

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh my god...the car must've flying if it made a hole *that* big. :eek: I'm glad that no one got hurt.

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah- there's insurance. The re-construction was going on already, but I'm not sure how long it will take- I haven't gotten to speak with Mr. Halsey yet. On the news interview, he said he wasn't surprised.......there is a bar across the street so there are crazy drivers/people around.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Attack by cars! ....Side step...counter with back fist....and a spinning back kick to any available target! Prefer...grill area? or center of doors...avoid eye jabs to headlights.

Best to use awareness and avoid all moving cars...best to practice..fastness here... speed counts too.....Aloha

Latest Discussions