What does your Black Belt

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My black belt means that I went beyond what I thought my limits were. The black belt itself did not change my life, but my instructor's belief that I could reach that level, and his continuing support, caused me to learn a lot about myself, my potential, and yes, my limits. The belt itself is meaningless, a piece of dyed cloth that can be purchased for a few dollars; the belief in my abilities and potential that the belt represents are priceless.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kacey said:
My black belt means that I went beyond what I thought my limits were. The black belt itself did not change my life, but my instructor's belief that I could reach that level, and his continuing support, caused me to learn a lot about myself, my potential, and yes, my limits. The belt itself is meaningless, a piece of dyed cloth that can be purchased for a few dollars; the belief in my abilities and potential that the belt represents are priceless.

Hmmm... I sense a Visa ad here :)

Cost of testing: $100
New Uniform: $160
Black Belt: $10

The sense of accomplishment: priceless

Sorry, couldn't resist

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Now? Nothing. It's not even good to hold my pants up. Back when I got it, I was pretty stoked. It was like I'd reached another level of training.

But then I realised all that mattered was my training, and it didn't matter if I wore a white belt or a black belt, becuase I was always going to be as good as I was, regardless of the colour. These days I don't even wear a uniform, just a T-shirt and tracksuit pants.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's been many years since I first received my black belt. I imagine that some of your folks weren't even around yet...but it made me feel that I'd really accomplished something and I knew that I could do whatever I set my mind to do...

Of course, it was just another step along the path but I'll never forget it.

trueaspirer

Green Belt
Reaction score
It means I have accomplished a certain amount and now I can move beyond the basics, into greater things.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, It means alot..but mostly it means we have an expectations of maintaining the level of our training, keeping of our honor,repect for others,helping other achieve their goals, We become role models for other..therefore...we must be leaders..and also...be humble.

The title: Black Belt....anyone can get one...NOT everyone becomes ONE!

Honest,humble,respectful of others,kindness,sharing....be a good human being! .......not neccessary the best fighter or the fastest!

The Black Belt is to be worn proudly and quietly.....Aloha

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, It means alot..but mostly it means we have an expectations of maintaining the level of our training, keeping of our honor,repect for others,helping other achieve their goals, We become role models for other..therefore...we must be leaders..and also...be humble.

The title: Black Belt....anyone can get one...NOT everyone becomes ONE!

Honest,humble,respectful of others,kindness,sharing....be a good human being! .......not neccessary the best fighter or the fastest!

The Black Belt is to be worn proudly and quietly.....Aloha

I like this. Nicely said, "still learning"..... From my own perspective, I would add that reaching black belt to me is somewhat similar to a mountain climber reaching the first base camp on the way up an endless mountain. I'm quietly proud in the knowledge that most wouldn't even attempt the trek, and few of those that do even make it to the first base camp, but I know in my heart that this is really just the first stop on an endless journey, during which I will constantly be learning about my art and myself, and will face new and different challenges every step of the way.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That was many years ago when I first recieved a blackbelt in one of the arts.. At first I had to ask myself what now that I do or have done makes me this balckbelt now. It was a while asking myself that. Now days for years now the black belts stay put up. As I left TMAs and moved on. They still have meaning as to what I have learned over the years. BUt I know that knowledge does not fit or show around someones waist. But to some The blackbelt means the journey is still down the road.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would never say that it means nothing to me, cuz it means a lot. Like Kacey, I feel a great sense of accomplishment in achieving it. There was a time when I kind of felt like I'd "been there & done that" with TMA that required a belt. It was in a drawer for a long while. Now when I teach wearing one, I talk to my students about setting goals, they can see one great goal to shoot for. No one thought I'd ever reach the goal of black belt. I have a way in to talk to my students about how to reach other goals in their lives.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My BB is still 3 years away so for me...

A long term goal. My sights are set, I'm on my way :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
really means to you and how has it changed your life?
Terry

To me, I'd have to say it means that I've reached one point on the very long journey ahead. The learning and improving of ones self certainly doesn't end at Black Belt.

The belt itself really didn't change me. It didn't put me on an ego trip or change my attitude. For me, I'm all about the training, not the belt or the stripes on it. I just want to learn and put 110% into my training.

Mike

simon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
my 1st dan meant the beggining of an even longer road than when i started as a 9th kyu. im at 4th dan now ( jujitsu) and i find myself studying even more.
though i dont like the term black"belt" as it refers to all the hard work is summed up by a peice of uniform...........belts are only worn so that people can see where every one is at in the learning stage but i stress in my club not to use the words "belt".
its what you know..not what you wear, i never wear my belt outside the club...which is where ill use my art ( defensivley of course).
but to first hit that stage is undescribable,and worth every bit of blood sweat and tears put into studying for it.

John Brewer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As I am still quite a ways off it means alot! I know from my instructors and forums like this, it is just a belt. But at the same time it symbolizes moving closer to a goal. I deceided when I joined American Kenpo that I would not give up. I really like the mind set in some of the posts above of always learning.

gixxershane

Green Belt
Reaction score
to me it was like earning a degree from a elite collage.. it is like the first degree you will earn in collage..

to me now it means that i can really start to teach other what i have learned and pass on the knowledge to others, of the art of motion and self defense..

i just recived my bb last friday, but it feeles so good.. i have already set my new goal to attain my second degree, and i have already started that journy....

but i get the most out of teaching... seeing the face on some one who just learned a new technique... or the face on a student that douted them selfs on a kata, and working with them till they get it and can do it flewantly...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations on your black belt, and welcome to the beginning of your journey! Many people in your position do not understand that black belt is a beginning, not an ending.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Although I haven't officially received my belt, it signifies all the hard work and dedication I have invested in myself. It signifies my instructors willingness to put her reputation on the line by awarding me with a black belt, not something i take lightly. It is a hard emotion to put into words, and I certainly do not give justice to the emotions I am sure I will feel on July 15th!!

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is like most things in life. It seems like it will be such a life changing event until you actually live it.

And as most people have already stated.... Black Belt is truely the start of the REAL learning process.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
really means to you and how has it changed your life?
Terry
Before I had my black belt I was running into quite a few problems. People would laugh at me or chuckle quietly. Now people take me much more serious now that my pants stay up. I got it at sears for 9.99.

Latest Discussions