Washington Post reports Mubarak has stepped down

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...2/10/AR2011021003134.html?wpisrc=nl_natlalert

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ion-offers-conditional-end-to-emergency-law/1

Update at 11:08 a.m. ET: Hundreds of thousands of demonstrators erupted in jubilation in Tahrir Square as vice president Omar Suleiman announces that President Mubarak has resigned and called on the army to "run the affairs of the country."
Update at 11:05 a.m. ET: Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak has resigne.d Vice President Omar Suleiman said in a brief televised statement. His statement in full: "Hosni Mubarak has waived the office of presidency and told the army to run the affairs of the country. "

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Odd that the reins were handed to army? Not so sure that's a good thing. Political legitimacy has to be maintained or you just store up troubles for the future.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12433045

From what I understand, the army is one of the few highly regarded on all sides institutions of government in Egypt. From that standpoint, it makes sense. Not that it isn't still troubling.

For that matter, Suleiman was the head of Egypt's feared intelligence service and was involved in our rendition of terror suspects to Egypt to be tortured. Matters may not improve much.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
STRATFOR is reporting it as a bloodless military coup.

http://www.stratfor.com/analysis/20...readmore&elq=f38c6303e6d240308f4a37432bfec97f
Suleiman’s statement is the clearest indication thus far that the military has carried out a coup led by Defense Minister Field Marshal Mohammed Hussein Tantawi. It is not clear whether Suleiman will remain as the civilian head of the army-led government. Egypt is returning to the 1952 model of ruling the state via a council of army officers. The question now is to what extent the military elite will share power with its civilian counterparts.
At a certain point, the opposition’s euphoria will subside and demands for elections will be voiced. The United States, while supportive of the military containing the unrest, also has a strategic need to see Egypt move toward a more pluralistic system.
Whether the military stays true to its commitment to hold elections on schedule in September remains to be seen.

Read more: Red Alert: Mubarak Resigns, Military is in Charge | STRATFOR

I suspect that the people rejoicing today may have cause to cry tomorrow. We'll see.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postpartisan/2011/02/good_coup_or_bad_coup.html

Egypt has just witnessed a popular revolution -- but also a military coup. So as we in Washington watch the crowds celebrate in Cairo, we also have to wonder: will this be a good coup, or a bad coup?
That means the Egyptian constitution -- which the regime has been insisting must be followed -- is no longer in effect. Under that constitution, Mubarak would have to be succeeded by the speaker of parliament, and new elections for president held within 60 days. Clearly the military council, not the parliamentary speaker, is the country's authority at the moment.

That would be a textbook definition of a coup.

The only question, as the author states, is whether or not that coup will be in favor of democracy or against it. I'd call it a coin toss, based on my very limited information.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't know. Turkey went through that a couple of times, where the army took over to stabilize the country and then held free elections.

This may be what Egypt needs. A strong stable government until elections can be organized.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know. Turkey went through that a couple of times, where the army took over to stabilize the country and then held free elections.

This may be what Egypt needs. A strong stable government until elections can be organized.
Think back to Iran. I hope that the Egyptians have the strength to resist the radical elements that will surely be pressing to make Egypt a religious State. :asian:

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well the Egyptioan army is secular, so it's OK for now. As to when an election is held, yes the results can be scary. But if they freely elect a religious government, what do we do? overthrow it? We can't be exoling the virtues of democracy only if it coincides with our interests. And trust me, I have a dog in this fight. The future government of Egypt will affect the peace agreement with Israel.