My first CMA Tournament experience

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well over the weekend I competed at the ICMAC Dallas, TX 2010 Kung FU tournament. I have spectated before but thought I would try my hand at competing. I competed in 2 events, both Yang Style Tai Chi. 1 open hand form and one Tai Chi saber form. I was able to get first in both events and earned 2 gold medals ! I must admit that it was a truly humbling experience though, because I got to observe alot of great stylists and fellow taiji practitioners. Many with far greater skill than my own. ( Advanced students practicing 10+ years or more.) I must admit that I am even more motivated than before to keep up the hard work and training, because of what I saw. Just wanted to share this with all of you here :)

P.S. The only sad part is that my friends SD card on his camera got corrupted and we lost all of the video :( I am hoping that I have a IT buddy of mine that can recover it. As I would love to post it and receive some critique on how to better improve. Maybe I will luck out......

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never been motivated by competition, but I've done quite a few over the years because sifu asked me to. To me, the best part about it is seeing what everyone else was up to. I always found that part interesting.

Over the years, I'd run into some of the same people over and over, and we'd sort of get to know each other thru the tournament venue. It's fun to see old friends that way.

Congrats on your success.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My first tourney in Seiekan was a small one hosted by our little school. My first big one, well, it was amazing. I will never forget the thrill of seeing so many wonderful artists and having the time to see what's being done out there.

Congrats :)

OP
bowser666

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never been motivated by competition, but I've done quite a few over the years because sifu asked me to. To me, the best part about it is seeing what everyone else was up to. I always found that part interesting.

Over the years, I'd run into some of the same people over and over, and we'd sort of get to know each other thru the tournament venue. It's fun to see old friends that way.

Congrats on your success.

That is part of why I went as well. I wanted to see how my training and many hours of practice have panned out for me and be judged by fellow CMA-ist's. The real fun for me was watching the advanced practitioners. It gave me alot of new goals to reach for :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Congrats. My parents have both started yang style tai chi and enjoy it immensely. I don't know much about it, but I believe my mom calls it the long style or something like that.

I've seen some vids on youtube, but have never seen it in person.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well over the weekend I competed at the ICMAC Dallas, TX 2010 Kung FU tournament. I have spectated before but thought I would try my hand at competing. I competed in 2 events, both Yang Style Tai Chi. 1 open hand form and one Tai Chi saber form. I was able to get first in both events and earned 2 gold medals ! I must admit that it was a truly humbling experience though, because I got to observe alot of great stylists and fellow taiji practitioners. Many with far greater skill than my own. ( Advanced students practicing 10+ years or more.) I must admit that I am even more motivated than before to keep up the hard work and training, because of what I saw. Just wanted to share this with all of you here :)

P.S. The only sad part is that my friends SD card on his camera got corrupted and we lost all of the video :( I am hoping that I have a IT buddy of mine that can recover it. As I would love to post it and receive some critique on how to better improve. Maybe I will luck out......
Congrats on your competing and winning.

Tell your friend not to format that SD card as it can be recovered. If he did format the card it still can be recovered but just a bit harder is all. It is very difficult to erase or format any media, the data is never really gone. Even if you scrub it, some data can be recovered.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great job, Bowser!

My first competition was in december and i won a gold medal in Kata.

reading your story gives me a big sense of nastalgia and longing for the next one.....

*nastalgic smile here*

except in the next one I have a chance for 2 medals....in Kata division AND sparring. if there is someone else to sparr with... *crosses fingers*

I love to compete and my friends at the dojo say I have real competitive fighting spirit. (Of course they also say I love to hit people. True - but I like to hit, not hurt!)

My long term goal for later is also to compete at Provincials and not just association tournaments.. Yes we have them....provincial tournaments *smiles a longing smile*

anyways Bowser I love to hear about other people winning medals and doing well at tournaments! :)

My congrats to you!

Latest Discussions