Survived First tournament!

annie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well I totally amazed at the turnout. Want to thank everyone for the great advice!! There were about 180 competitors from many different schools and many different arts. And then there were ohh about 200 spectators...that stressed me out a bit. I was fortunate that most of my school was competing in the same ring so there was a lot of moral support there. The first 45 min I got to watch the advanced adults do there forms and watched what the judges were looking for. Then my division was called, there were 6 of us. Luck of the draw I got to go last. I was more at ease getting to see what everyone was doing.

Sooooo....after all that stress got the game face on, put all my energy out and before you know it I was done.....

It was the longest minute of my life!!!!

Also the best minute of my life....

I managed to impress them and took 1st place!!!!!
With one of my schoolmates coming in 2nd

Sparring was a different story. I had to wait almost 3 hours after forms for my turn. At that point I had a splitting headache and well I lost that match.

Now I want to totally brag about my 9 yr old son!!!
My kid kicked butt in both forms and sparring!!! 1st place in both and his division was huge. The judge even came up to us after and said he nailed every block and strike in 2 pinion and his footwork was perfect. Then he went on to sparring and I don't think I have ever seen my kid get that tough. So between the 2 of us we had 3 -1st place and 1- 2nd place!

I definately learned alot and saw some truely amazing martial artist's I am definately looking forward to my next tournament!!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear you had a good time. If I've ever heard anyone say they didn't at least appreciate the experience, I don't remember it. It's hard to believe all the worrying and anxiety that a new competitor has to suffer through and PUFF, it's over. :lol2: The waiting can be difficult, but it's part of the package. Trying to find ways to pass the time without losing the edge can be difficult. Huge contrats to your son! Sounds like you found a nitch!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats to both you and your son Annie!! Sounds like everyone had a great time, and that, IMHO, is what matters most! Large events can certainly add stress to someone who may already be nervous about competing, but in the long run, it sounds like you overcame that!

Keep up the great job!:ultracool

Mike

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats.

A tournament can certainly be a very enjoyable experience, and it seems that the promoter of that one has a good idea of running such an event, especially one of that size.

Waiting 3 hours for kumite, though, seems far too long. Were they short on judges, or was your division that crowded?

Anyways, I'm glad you enjoyed your experience, and hope that you can continue to enjoy competing. Just keep in mind, that tournaments come in all shapes and sizes, as well as levels of quality.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Annie tournaments are fun and congrats to you and your son for such an outstanding day.
Terry

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations! It was a good showing for you and for all the folks from the school. Professor Kimo was quite happy to hear that folks had chosen to do one of the forms from his curriculum, and that 'someone' had done quite well doing it.

Hope you've been practicing - I'll see you tomorrow.

Good luck.

Matt

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats are certainly in order for you. Competing is certainly a bit stressful, however I find it very exhilirating.

Hoshin

Matt