To Tournament or not to Tournament?

H

hapkido_mgd

I just recently particpated in my first tournament. My Master thought it would be a good experience for me. He said once you had gone through the first one, all of the rest would be much easier to face.

I must admit even though I was just doing board breaking in this one I was scared spitless. It wasn't my first time breaking a board. We break one at every belt testing. It was just that there was a much larger audience this time. :p

Needless to say I came in last place for my event, but I was happy!!! It was one of the best experiences in my life. I was so hyped and can't wait for our next tournament.

Now I'm just trying to see how many people think being in tournaments is a good thing. Personally, I think it helped my confidence level tremendously.

Thank you for listening to my babble.

:asian:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Tournaments like many things in the martial arts are a double edged sword. They can be great learning experiences and they can really shake up a person's confidence in their ability. People have to realize what works in a toaurnament means nothing on the street. Some people become so scared of tournaments that be leave the martial arts, other only live to compete both of theses are bad and the student has to find the happy balance. I used to compete in 30 - 40 tournaments a yr and I only trained for that part of the art, as I matured I realized there was much more.

I think everybody should compete just once so they know what it is really like. these days I tell people to see what they can learn from the experience.

OP
H

hapkido_mgd

Very true Rob!!! Tournaments can be a double edged sword. Believe when I said that it gave my confidence a boost. But I know that what happens in a tournament will rarely if ever happen in real life.

I just think it is a good thing to get out there in front of a crowd of people and show what you can do. Even if you can't do alot. I think this can help towards your growth and development in the martial arts.

thanks for posting so quickly though. I need feedback for this. I was trying to sound to pro-pro tournament. Must have gotten a little carried away. :D

Thanks!!

OP
G

girlychuks

I am doing my first tourney in May. (eeeek)
Just novice sparring and novice forms. I am doing all I can- sparring a few hours a week, lot of practice, lessons every night, etc.
I am doing it just to get my feet wet and see what it;'s like. My school is NOT a tournament school- if anyone does tournaments, it's more full contact than point sparring. And the school doesn;t seem to focus on the competition aspect, just the training aspect.
We'll see. I am just a baby beginner- I will post what happens at my tournament.

OP
S

Shinzu

i think tourny's are a good thing. it help buld self confidence and humility. even if loose you win because you gave it your all. that's what sportsmanship is all about. not who wins or looses.

i win be competing in april an i am looking forward to it..win or loose.

best of luck to everyone who participates and shows their martial spirit.

take it for what it is... and don't let it go to your head.

OP
D

Drunken Master

I went to watch my first tournament last month.

I didn't enter myself as I was unsure what a tournament was like.

My reason for starting a martial art was for self-defense and confidence. I think that entering a tournament will better prepare me should I get attacked in the street.

Until that time with all the training in the world I don't feel very confident.

OP
H

hapkido_mgd

Well good luck to you girlychuks and Shinzu. I hope you guys both do well and have fun at your tournaments. Placing is not as important as what you get out of it.

Drunken Master, did you like what you saw at the tournament? Did it seem like something you could do? Believe me, it's a lot more fun being in the tournament than watching it. :p

One thing that happened to me at my tournament was: We were all sitting down and doing butterfly stretches. That's when I realized I still had my Reeboks on!!! Luckily I was near the back and my wife was near. I signalled her over so I could make the switch into my practice shoes. That was the worst part of the tournament.

OK, enough jawing from me.

OP
S

Shinzu

i agree hapkido. whatever you do have fun and be proud that you participated, represented yourself, your style, and your school:)

OP
K

kickyou

As long as you go into the tournament with the attitude that even if I do not place I am gaining valuable experience tournaments can be very rewarding.If you get into the mind set that you are better than everybody else and that the only reason you did not get 1st place is because the judges were against you then that is not a good thing.I have seen this before several times and it is a shame because it is very ugly.I had a guy come running at me when I was a center referee because his person lost the sparring match.His student was not a very good practitioner and by his behavior he was not a very good Instructor and I let him know that.Just keep it positive and you will have alot of fun.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I competed for around 30 years.I enjoy the idea of sparring with people I don't know. Doing forms to the best of my ability and haveing people much my superior in rank let me know what they thought of it.
I do not ask my students to go to tournament. I really do not teach tournament but will instruct my people hw to use what they know in a tournament situation.
I tell my students that tournaments are fun (and sometimes they are) but I tell them it's only plastic not gold or siver. I want them to go to make friends and to enjoy the brotherhood within the arts. If they ay in the arts long enough they will see the same people over and over eventualy when they become instructors these friendships will mean much to them.

Because of age and rank I have been forbiden to Spar in compitition (by the head of our system and my personal instructor also) but I can still do forms. For those of you just starting out.
Have fun. Enjoy the experence.
But remember tournaments are only a verry small part of what the arts are about.
Shadow

OP
K

kickyou

tshadowchaser I agree with you 100%. Some people seem to live for tournament competition it seems they are always training for some competition,they never get to learn the art it seems.

OP
C

Chiduce

Tournaments are a great morale booster for the systems which are designed for competition. The system which i teach and train in is not a tournament style. However, i recommend to anyone that wants to compete even in my own system; that their is always good from good! The system of which i'am founder can be tournament oriented for forms competition, which was my intention. My sifu, competes all the time in Tai Chi Sword and Kumite. Sometimes i think he goes a little to far but it keeps him young and full of life! He is east coast champ in his kumite division. Yet, i prefer the street intent within the martial way. It helps me help others in a truly meaningful way! Sincerely, in Humility; Chiduce!

OP
D

Drunken Master

Originally posted by hapkido_mgd

Drunken Master, did you like what you saw at the tournament? Did it seem like something you could do? Believe me, it's a lot more fun being in the tournament than watching it. :p

I suspect you are right. I went with a small group and 2 hours was enough before the boredom set in.

Don't worry, I will be in my dobock for the next one.

OP
W

white dragon

ack! The last tournament I went to (actually took part in too) went on for just over 12 hours! You getting bored after 2 even if you are taking part I think, I actually fell asleep durring the lunch time break, and I hadn't even fought yet! Just make sure you take a good book :)

OP
V

vincefuess

I enjoy tournaments. I don't compete that often, actually only often enough that it is still always a novelty to me. I enjoy the atmosphere, the comraderie- the chance to meet fellow martial artists I may never meet otherwise.

I also like the competition. My mouth gets dry, and I start to shake. Prior to bowing in for my form, I feel like I could explode at any minute- my guts showering the audience! I feel ALL the eyes of the arena upon me (even though it is likely only my competition plus a few family members). Everything is a blur as I tell the judges who I am and what I am going to do- then it starts. My form is over before I know it started. I bow out and sit down. The adrenaline buzzes me for the rest of the day. I came in LAST- but it felt good! (I came in FIRST once- and it really didn't feel any different- just carried out a bigger trophy).

It's not something I want to do every weekend- but it is fun once in awhile. It adds a little twist to your training, a little change of pace. It should always be viewed in the spirit of fun- cuz lt's face it- next month, who knows you won but you? That trophy is fun to dust off occasionally, and its fun to tell folk about it when they see it and ask- but that's really all it is. Even SUPERFOOT is little more than a fond memory (boy it would piss Bill off to read that!).

Just keep it all in perspective and have a good time.

OP
D

Drunken Master

:D I am an ITF Taekwon-Do practisioner and just wanted to say that I asked my instructer about entering a tournament last night. He said "No problem". We are allowed to enter any tournaments we wish.

OP
H

hapkido_mgd

Originally posted by Drunken Master

:D I am an ITF Taekwon-Do practisioner and just wanted to say that I asked my instructer about entering a tournament last night. He said "No problem". We are allowed to enter any tournaments we wish.

Good going Drunken Master!!!! Remember, this is all for the experience and what you can learn from it. Placing is just an after result. :p

I'm really excited because my school is going to have a Sparring team and I hope to get on it. My wife doesn't want to be on it, because she knows the extra training they will go through would probably kill her. :D Unfortunately I am insane and can only think of how much good the extra training would do me. :supcool:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We like to use tournaments for the stress they put the students under so they get used to being in stressful situations.

So I say go and have fun and try to kick butt.

OP
W

white dragon

Yay, green belt! anyway... :)

I think tournaments (despite restrictions) are a good way of students realising if what they know is any good to them, going through drills and even sparring people you know isn't the same as having to face someone you've no idea about, knowing that that person wants to do you damage. It can make you very nervous, but once you get used to it you become accustomed, and I think in a real life situation of being attacked you'll see the benefits of this by (a) knowing what will actually work attack wise, and (b) not freezing as soon as you get a big rush of adrenaline.

Latest Discussions