My first TKD tournament experience!

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I thought that I would share my first eperience of a TKD tournament. I attended the Welsh TAGB Championships in Cardiff this morning.

I woke up early and extremely nervous and had to force my self to eat breakfast and made the drive to Wales.

I got a bit lost as I went too far down the motorway and when I finally found my way and made it to the venue, it was a nightmare to park! I got quite hot under the collar but eventually managed to find somewhere to dump the car.

Initially I found the sheer numbers of people quite overwhelming and when I saw people warming up and looking very flexible, fast and skilled I wondered why on earth I had put myself in for this!!

I walked with my girlfriend to the spectators section and bade her farewell before meeting up with my fellow students. Engaging in some healthy banter soon calmed me down. I did a little warm up and stretches and practised my pattern Dan Gun.

My pattern event was first. I wasn't the first to be called so I had the chance to watch other competitors perform first. Noticed that they weren't 100% perfect either so I felt a little calmer.

My turn was up and I did OK. Being hypercritical of myself I knew that I had rushed through a little too quickly and it wasn't my best performance. I got a reasonable score 9.5 9.5 9.6 that I was happy with.

To my surprise I was asked to perform the pattern again as there were four other competitors who scored the same and they needed to find a "thrid place." I couldn't believe it!! I had a chance at a bronze medal!!!

I was a little too excited by this and made the smallest of trips! My heel stuck to the floor and I jolted forward! This cost me two points and it was all over! I was still pleased to have been in with a chance though!

Second was individual heavyweight sparring. This was point stop. I was drawn to fight against another member of my own school!! I put up a good fight scoring a few decent shots. I had two good kicks that connected but were not sighted by the refs. But it worked both ways as the same happened to my opponent with a hand technique. It was an even fight and ended in "sudden death" The first clean strike wins! Unfortunately it wasn't my day and my opponent got a decent punch to my head. That was it for me in that event.

My final event was the 3 man tag team sparring. Another point stop system where you have the option of tagging your mates in following every point scored. This was quite a brutal fight! My team mate got told off for excessive contact! We put up our best but our opponents were simply just better than us! They won 10-5.

All in all, I didn't win anything! However, I enjoyed the adrenaline and buzz of stepping up to the line! I learnt a great deal from my experience and I plan on returning at the South West and British Championships! I also feel attending tournaments is a great way of forcing me to "up my game" in my classes. Between now and the next tournament I will be training harder and really drilling my new pattern Do San in preparation!

If you don't attend tournaments because you don't think that you are good enough, I would really recommend swallowing the fear and stepping up! At the end of the day I wasn't good enough to win anything but I still got a lot from the experience and had a lot of fun.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good job

The biggest hurdle to overcome is the first step of entering.

Can"t tell you how many tournys' I went to before I finally won one. Now you know how they are and what you have to work on.

Good luck on the next one, I'm sure you'll get better each one you go to.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats on the great time and the good news is you like it, keep up the good work.