To Tournament or not to Tournament?

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tha'ts the idea WhiteDragon, so you can see what works on people you don't fight all the time. We like to go around to other schools on sparring night cause you get fight so many different people and it makes you better.

:asian:

OP
V

VampyrSoul2000

Tournaments are a personal choice in our school. We would like everyone to go to at least one to particapate ib it, but they are not required to do so.
Tournys are a good place to watch other styles that are out there and meet other people that you would normally not get to meet, since many may travel from far as Canada and Mexico.
It's is good just to go watch them and get the feel of the atmosphere, also see what judges are there and how they rate forms or sparring. That way, when you decided to enter, if you get one of those judges, you know what to expect.

Just go and have fun. It's only a piece of plastic that you can get most anywhere if you really want one.

Vampyr :)

OP
W

white dragon

does anyones school actually make them take part, even if they really don't want to?

OP
H

hapkido_mgd

I don't think you should actually be forced to participate in a tournament. It should be a matter of personal choice. I don't know if I would want to go to a school like that. If there were such a place.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think you can force students to go. If you do that you might end up making them hate it and they'll never want to do it again.

Also, that's another cool thing about tournaments is exposure to other styles, weapons forms, which some schools don't teach.

OP
D

daniel_r

Have done a few in my time and have to say the actual competing part i love..... its just the standing around waiting that annoys me... i.e my divison supposed to begin at 2.30pm so im all ready to go.... finally get on the mat at 5.30pm

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tournaments are a great tool. As long as they are kept in perspective, they can be a great confidence builder. I've used friendly competitions as a way to work with children who were withdrawn and anti-social. Only one of the ways, mind you. The down side is that if you allow tournaments to become the focus of your training, you might as well be teaching dancing or some such pastime. It's a tool, use it wisely. Have fun and keep an open mind. Some of my best friends and training partners are folks I meet in the ring. Nothing like a good roundhouse, giving or receiving, to start a relationship!

Latest Discussions