Capoeira

P

Peg Strain

Capoeira songs probably number in the thousands....they can talk about philosophy ("ah, the boat has flipped over...there's money on the bottom of the sea"), about the history of the art, different stories about famous (infamous) capoeiristas ("follow the footsteps of Lampaio, to jail I am not gonna go"); nonsense lyrics, stories about the famous Mestres....etc. Some are historical, and some current schools require the students/teachers to write new songs.... The songs will often comment about the players or game, but the players (in all systems I know of) are following the music. Different rhythms are like signatures for different systems, schools, or styles of play....It really is a magnificent system/art. I am a poor representative :-(

Thanks for listing the sites!

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cince we've gained quite a few new members since this thread was active, I thought I'd kick it back to the top so our newer members could see it and respond to it. :)

liuseongsystem

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i have done some capoiera...

there are two types, regional and angola.

angola is said to be the old style from Africa (Angola)

regional is a modernized version, similiar in concept to modern arnis. various method were gathered to make a representative style, created by Bimba.

angola is a low style, the kicks are keep close to the ground with little tumbling

regional is very energetic and acrobatic.

angola tends to be more combatitive in the hoda.

the berimbau is used to create a rhythym that the controls the tempo and intensity of the hoda.

it is very different than many ma in that it uses an inverted position to attack, kicking while the hands are on the ground, and there really isnt much blocking, it is all evasive and countertimed. pretty unorthodox.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE capoeira.

played for two years nearly four years ago. met my wife in class, in fact. missing it lately, but YAY we're talking with a capoeira teacher about coming to teach at our studio.

YAY.

Lobo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know any Capoeira schools in Queens, New York?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lobo said:
Does anyone know any Capoeira schools in Queens, New York?

There are lots of teachers in New York. Exactly where, I don't know. But in the U.S., New York is the second largest center for Capoeira. Look around. Good luck.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
There are lots of teachers in New York. Exactly where, I don't know. But in the U.S., New York is the second largest center for Capoeira. Look around. Good luck.

I'm not in NYC, but I'd tend to agree with you. BTW, a Capoeira school just opened about a mile from my apartment.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
I'm not in NYC, but I'd tend to agree with you. BTW, a Capoeira school just opened about a mile from my apartment.

Cool. WHo's the teacher, do you know?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Cool. WHo's the teacher, do you know?

No, it was too late in the evening to stop by (bad area of town at night), but I would like to visit it during the daylight hours ASAP.

Latest Discussions