returning to an old school...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was a member of a capoeira school for several years. During this time, I was extremely active with the school (obsessively, perhaps), and became one of the senior students.

Eventually, I became interested in the Chinese martial arts, and began to cross train. I drifted from capoeira the more I did the Chinese arts. I finally broke from the capoeira school and was honest with my instructor about my other interests. She was disappointed, but understanding, and always told me I would be welcome to come back. It has been six or seven years now since I have trained with the capoeira school at all. I have visited on several occasions, and my instructor has always welcomed me with open arms. I am very happy that I was able to split on good terms and keep a good relationship with her. Not everyone has done this.

Recently, I have been thinking about becoming active once again with capoeira. My wife has also drifted from the school (yes, this is where we met!!
icon10.gif
) and we have both been thinking about re-connecting. I don't intend to give up my kung fu training, and my involvement with capoeira would definitely be less obsessive. While I recognize that my body is rusty as far as capoeira goes, I also know that I can still play a pretty good game. I have always been a believer of taking with you what you have learned. Just because you are no longer active in a school doesn't mean you have forgotten everything.

Anyway, most of my classmates have also moved on. I don't know most of the people who are there now. There have also been politics within the school, but I feel that I am in a different frame of mind now, and don't need to be involved in that (a little older and wiser, perhaps). While I am sure my teacher would expect me to wear my old rank, I would see it as something of a new beginning.

Has anyone else gone thru this kind of transformation, returning to an old school that you had thought you had moved on from? Any thoughts about this? thanks, all.

Michael

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally have never returned to the schools that I've left. I don't believe that I would ever return to them, as the reasons behind my leaving were not on good terms.

However, in your case, it seems that you and the instructor have a very good bond, and despite the long absence, you're still very welcome there. Unfortunately, politics happen, but there should be no reason for you to not return, just simply stay out of them and concentrate on your training. I'm sure with time, you'll have the chance to meet all of the new people that are there.

Good luck on your decision!!

Mike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If your formal school will accept you then go. Training is training as long as you know this is what would help you in the lon run.
Terry

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds to me like this may be a new door opening for you. I would take hold of the opportunity as it does not happen all that often. I know I would not be welcomed back at my old dojo just because the owner is very arrogant and anyone who leaves is never welcomed back without strings attached. His attitude seems to be the norm unfortunately.

Anyway good luck!

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have briefly visited old schools when back in town, but only for short periods. It does feel a little awkward at first...but then more new people come in, and it's over. Go for it! We could use more people talking about capoeira here.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I appreciate the comments so far.

At the time I was training I had very little else going on in my life, so I just trained like a fiend. I was happy with this for several years, but I think I burned-out, and that is at least part of why I drifted away. I now have a much busier, fuller, and more fulfilling life, so I think things are in better balance. Maybe this is why I am considering making a return. If I can train on a more relaxed and casual basis, maybe a return to capoeira could be a healthy thing for me. I guess I am sort of just thinking out loud (or on the keyboard, I guess), and was welcoming any thoughts.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I returned to the old karate club that I started with. Didn't miss a beat...they were warm, welcoming and very mature in accepting that when my hubby and I left originally it was nothing personal, just a natural "moving-on".

If you left on good terms and the instructor is mature, returning shouldn't be a huge problem.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Eternal Beginner said:
I returned to the old karate club that I started with. Didn't miss a beat...they were warm, welcoming and very mature in accepting that when my hubby and I left originally it was nothing personal, just a natural "moving-on".

If you left on good terms and the instructor is mature, returning shouldn't be a huge problem.

Same here. I visit my TSD dojang when I visit home (NJ). I left on good terms, and I still miss them. My old instructor is always so welcoming. He is actually bugging my sister now (who's son is training there) about when I am coming down next LOL (I also chatted with him on the phone a couple of months ago).

When I do train there, it's like I never left. Of course I still train in MA, so I'm still in shape. But I don't practice my TSD stuff that often, but it still comes right back to me when I step onto the training floor there. It's weird, but good. And best of all, I can train for free as long as I want when I'm in NJ :D

I also trained here (my current dojang) for a year, then left for a while to go to a McDojang (stupid me) because I thought it would be more like TSD. But I came back, and they welcomed me back with open arms.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I returned to a old school after a long (many years) absence. I put on a simple black belt and tried to stand a the lowest end of the black belt line. My instructor looked at me shook his head and placed me at the head of the line (yes my rank was higher than the rest) He asked whay I had stood where I did and my reply was that I had been away and needed practice on some of the forms and had forms to learn that had come into the system while I was away. He simply smiled and said my knowledge would carry me and that I would learn the new forms one at a time. He then had me lead the next 5 or so classes I attended to make sure all my basics where in place.
Going back is hard. You may feel out of place or out of the loop but what you learned befor is still with you relax and let it rise to the surface with out trying to impress anyone. you'll do fine

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
I personally have never returned to the schools that I've left. I don't believe that I would ever return to them, as the reasons behind my leaving were not on good terms.

This also where I stand. I have tried to re-connect outside the dojo, but it has never been good.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
searcher said:
This also where I stand. I have tried to re-connect outside the dojo, but it has never been good.

Unfortunately, sometimes we just can't settle our differences and we must move on. In my case, this is what I did, and I found that I'm much happier.

Mike

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I went in last night and played in the Roda. Had a lot of fun. The initial plan was to actually attend the full class, but my wife had taken the class on monday and it left her so sore that she still wasn't up to taking a full class again. So we went in for the roda and played some games, and had a good time. I can't believe how winded I got.

I train pretty hard most every day with my kung fu, but it is just not the same. Capoeira gives an amazing full-body workout. Even if you are already in good shape, capoeira, if done right, will kick your butt. Guess I gotta start slow again and work back into it. I think I may have scraped just a little bit of rust off again...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Well, I went in last night and played in the Roda. Had a lot of fun. The initial plan was to actually attend the full class, but my wife had taken the class on monday and it left her so sore that she still wasn't up to taking a full class again. So we went in for the roda and played some games, and had a good time. I can't believe how winded I got.

I train pretty hard most every day with my kung fu, but it is just not the same. Capoeira gives an amazing full-body workout. Even if you are already in good shape, capoeira, if done right, will kick your butt. Guess I gotta start slow again and work back into it. I think I may have scraped just a little bit of rust off again...

Thats great!! Don't worry about starting off slow. Before you know it, that rust will be polished right off!!!

Mike

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad to here you enjoyed your first night back
Your wind and staminia will return

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I say that if you left on good terms and you were welcomed back then go back in. I have stayed in contact with my first martial arts instructor. I have gone back to teach classes from time to time over the years.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last night my wife and I attended another capoeira class with our old school, and we took the full class. had a lot of fun, and I think my teacher was happy to see me in class again, after 6 years or so.

The class was aimed at less-advanced students so was not as gruelling as it might have been, but that was ok with me. I slept hard last night. I am not as sore today as I expected, but that may set in later today or tomorrow.

Latest Discussions