My experience on promoting martial arts

bshovan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
For those interested in all aspects related to the promotion of Martial Arts/Self-Defense related seminars and camps feel free to aks me. I have over 20 years of doing so. I also seek input from those that have also done so for my further education.

Bill Shovan
Storm King School

OP
B

bshovan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Maybe I didn't clarify exactly what I intended. I meant to have a talk about and share some of my experiences as a promoter of martial arts seminars and camps. An exchange of my and others insights.

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
I went to a karate camp once and it was a blast. They had brought in instructors from different backgrounds to teach classes on various weapons and etc. There was an obstacle course to run, and the best part was each night there was a self defense trail. You did not get a flash light, and you walked through the woods. Various people were hididng in the woods and would surprise attack you with various attacks and you had to defend the best you could. It was really cool, the attackers were protected so you were allowed to reatliate with as much force as you were attacked with. It rocked!:ultracool

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
first welcome to the forum
I'll look forward to reading some of your thought on what makes a good seminar an what goes into outting one togeather

G

Gary Crawford

Welcome to MT!! You'll get plenty of what you ask for!

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my experience, the number one thing that makes a good seminar is the person teaching having good communication skills and a true and evident passion for what they are teaching.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!!

Mike

OP
B

bshovan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the responses. I've been very fortunate to have the opportunity over the past 15 years to host Martial art camps at my Storm king facility with Shihan Michael DePasquale Jr. of MAWN and Karate International Magazine. The main feedback from the many thousands who have attended over the years is the " personal touch " of making all feel a part of a big family, from arranging special meals, lodging, transportation needs, event scheduling, phone calls from concerned parents ( and spouses ), special medical needs, etc., the list is endless.
Hopefully I can be a resource to others as they can also to me. That's what the Martial Arts are all about.

Billy

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi, I promoted and hosted my first martial arts seminar this past fall. It was a lot of work over a few months to get everything planned and marketed, including rental space (since our dojo couldnt hold more than about 30), lodging and travel, advertising, flyers, phone calls, registations...

It was great and I will do it again! I spent many hours digging up contact information for schools in nebraska, iowa, kansas, the dakotas, missouri and colorado - lots of small towns out "in the sticks". Any advice on how I can (1) find more of them, and (2) get them interested in coming to our events?

thanks!
-David

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
In my experience, the number one thing that makes a good seminar is the person teaching having good communication skills and a true and evident passion for what they are teaching.

That IS the most important..Secondly is the place easy to locate?? Are there resturants within walking distance??? If its at a hotel are they willing to cut the out-of towners a break on room prices..

Latest Discussions