My best year ever...Taekwondo

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been gone for a while from the forums, but havent forgotten any of you and the great conversations we have had (debates as well)!

Over the past year I have had two great opportunities materialize.

First I had the opportunity to train directly under Chung Yun Sung, Sabum (9th Degree Black Belt - Chung Do Kwan). I enjoyed the training tremendously, and await further opportunities. The best part was the conversations. Although a proponent of the Chang Hon hyungs he is very much so a patriot of for the spirit of the ROK "Han" people. While remaining a traditionalist (hard line, self defense, ROK Marine, not all fun and games) he has the lineage to the Lee Won Kuk Chung Do Kwan, while honoring all the positive "modernization" of the art. A true pleasure and blessing it was to train under him!

Second, I met and shared approximately 8 months with a ROK national living here in the states temporarily for educational purposes. Although he was only 17 years old, he holds a sa-poome dan. Those that are not famliliar with the poome dan system allow my explanation based on my understanding. He is not of the age requirement to hold 4th Dan, so he is essentially a 4th Dan "Junior" black belt. At 5'7" and 130lbs he hit like a 4th Dan "Adult" Black Belt. In addition to simply being a Taekwondo practitioner he is also a member of an international demo team called "International Taekwondo Mission". A Christian based team of elite Taekwondoin that travel the world doing demos as a means of opening lines of communication for missionary purposes! His name is Hong Pa Ul also known as Paul Hong! My greatest joys in training outside of his technical ablity was my opportunity to meet, interact, and befriend someone who is just my opposite. He is Kukkiwon-WTF-"New School TKD" and awesome and those of you that are familiar with me know I am the son of an Oh Do Kwan instructor that is dedicated souly to the preservation of Taekwon-Do as taught by Choi Hong Hi, Sabum. Needless to say this was a blessing and mission all of its own. Not a mission of conversion, but rather of mutual acceptance. Also, I was proud to be able to share Chang hon Taekwon-Do with him, history, heritage, and the lines that directly relate our two Taekwondo(s). We are brothers in Unity provided by both God and Taekwondo. Again, a blessing and treasured friend who I hope to remain in touch with for many years to come!

To all those that made this year the best yet in my Taekwon-Do I salute you!

TAEKWON!
Spookey

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spookey you had a great year and I applaud you training and devotion to the Art of TKD

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I soinds like you have had an exceptional year of training. Congrats

Keep training and keep learning

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spookey, that sounds incredibly cool. My first response is to be envious. But I know you're sharing what you've gained with others, instead of just keeping it to yourself.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey spookey, that's fantastic! It sounds like you are invigorated, and uplifted by the experience. It seems that you have a new appreciation for the mutual existence of Taekwondo's varied backgrounds, and roots. In other words, your lineage and history is good, and their lineage and history is good, and perhaps together it forms a bigger picture of the whole of Taekwondo!

Tell me, was there any specific lesson, or tidbit about Taekwondo's history, philosophy, or technical knowledge, which you might have gained that stands out in your mind? Something unique, or surprising to share with others here at MT.

Thanks for returning to the boards with such enthusiasm. I am sure it will spread to others!

CM D.J. Eisenhart

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
My first response is to be envious. But I know you're sharing what you've gained with others, instead of just keeping it to yourself.

Mine, too!

Sounds like an awesome experience.

Go Great Blue Wave school! :)

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well Guys,

As most of you know my greatest love of Taekwon-Do is the history and philosophy of the art, as opposed to the physical. I love Taekwon-Do and all martial arts for the physical, but the history, philosophy, and spirit is what sticks with me at the end of the day!

Over the past year so much information was passed in so many different directions. My father is an American who trained in much the same circle as Chung Sabum. To hear the perspective of these to compared was great. They where the same, with a touch of nationalism on the behalf of Chung Sabum. Then there was the comparison of the new history as learned by Hong Pa Ul. There was a distinct difference in what Chung Sabum knows having lived it, and what Pa Ul was taught after the fact. I believe he learned so much (Pa Ul) about a part of Taekwon-do that is obviously being removed in the Republic of Korea.

Ironically, I learned several things of which I was previously unaware. Pa Ul was very receptive to the information pertaining to the Oh Do Kwan and Choi Hong Hi Sabum. He stated furthermore that the younger generation doesnt hold the same hatred for the North as the generations before him.

I have so much more to say, but not enough time...i will write more soon!

TAEKWON!
Spooks

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
It sounds like you had an great year! Wow- training with both of them!

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Spookey, it looks like you were able to enjoy the "best of both worlds" with your training. Welcome back to MT!

Miles

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
You had a great and busy yr. Congrats on your good training.

Latest Discussions