GM PARK, Hae Man Poomsae Seminar 10/14/08

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am pleased to announced that GM PARK, Hae Man will be presenting a Poomsae Seminar at my Metro-Detroit dojang on Tuesday, October 14th.

GM Park needs no introduction to longtime Taekwondoin, but for newer students, he is one of the foremost exponents of Taekwondo in the world. He is Vice-President of World Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan, a 9th dan with over 60 years experience. He formerly taught the Instructor Course at Kukkiwon and was senior Taekwondo instructor for the Presidential Security at the Blue House. And he is a true gentleman, a Master of Masters.

I will provide more information as it becomes available, but you are interested in attending, please PM or email me.

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I met Grandmaster Park at the 40th anniversary USCDKA National Training Conference. He is indeed a great man. On the last day he lead all of us through the keibons.

tkd75

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've also had the privilege to meet Sr. GM Pak, and he is indeed a gentleman. My Korean is very rusty, and he was very kind and took my feeble attempts at making conversation with him in stride. I wish I could come to the seminar, Miles!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is one of the few reasons I'm sad that I don't live closer to Detroit.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
He is a super nice man. For his age-and have suffered a slight stroke a few years ago. I am honored to have pics of He and I together AND woked out when he has been instructing. one time he used me to demonstrate on. WOW! I got to throw a punch while he did a mid-section block and he cracked my arm good, you could feel his bodyweight behind the block...He executed the block and i thought this guy is a part of TKD history and is one of my instructor teachers. He is very approchable-a true grandmaster in every sense of the word.

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
He is a super nice man. For his age-and have suffered a slight stroke a few years ago. I am honored to have pics of He and I together AND woked out when he has been instructing. one time he used me to demonstrate on. WOW! I got to throw a punch while he did a mid-section block and he cracked my arm good, you could feel his bodyweight behind the block...He executed the block and i thought this guy is a part of TKD history and is one of my instructor teachers. He is very approchable-a true grandmaster in every sense of the word.

Its things like this that make me sad I never get to go to the conference!

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
He is a super nice man..... He is very approchable-a true grandmaster in every sense of the word.

GM Park also has a great sense of humor. My senior black belts and I took GM and Mrs. Park to a Korean restaurant after the 04/08 seminar. He ordered an entre' for the table and my Korean-American student and his wife started laughing. They wouldn't say what GM Park had ordered. It was fish heads! When the plate arrived GM Park laughed as he said we'd have to eat them or he'd take away our black belts. They were really good actually!

GM Park promoted me so I understand that traditionally means he becomes my GM.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Last time I spoke to Hae Man Park was at my 4th Dan testing in 1996, when he complimented me on my break. Haven't seen him since. I think my instructor is closer to Mr. Uhm anyway.

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seminar update: the seminar will run from 5:00-8:00p.m. and the cost is an extremely reasonable $40.

If you are interested in attending, please email or PM me as space is limited.

Also, as some feel concerned about it, if you have any questions about the future of the Kukkiwon, its continuing status as a non-profit corporation, GM Uhm, etc., I'll be happy to ask GM Park on your behalf.

Miles

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Would love to be there but with Won Chik Park tournament on the 18th it will be to hard to do both, Maybe next time.

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
My students and I had the distinct honor and privilege of hosting GM PARK, Hae
Man for a Poomsae Seminar on Tuesday, 10/14.

GM Park started the Seminar off with a review of Kibons 1-3. He then lectured
on stances and weight distribution.

We then started off and performed the entire Taeguek series with GM Park taking
us through each poomsae by the count and then at our own pace. He would point
out areas which we needed to concentrate on in each poomsae.

GM Park's seminar was fast-paced. We took only 1 short break at the 1.5 hour
mark and GM Park kept cajoling us to work harder, to focus more intently, and to
be our best. He was instructive in his lecture style, humorous in his
demonstrations, and patient while we tried to perform each motion with proper
stance, balance, weight distribution, speed, focus, and timing.

We were honored in having some special guests who joined us for the Seminar. GM
Ronald Rose, one of GM Park's senior students, participated and helped correct
students. Master Steven Shinn from Okomos, MI came, trained, and helped translate. Master Nathan
Doggett from Grand Rapids brought several of his black belts. It was wonderful
spending the evening training with these fine instructors.

At the end of the seminar, GM Park patiently posed with students for pictures
and presented several of my black belts with their Chung Do Kwan certificates.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like fun, you had a pretty high powered crowd there. Yeah I still miss Okemos. Master Miles do you any video or pictures to share?

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like fun, you had a pretty high powered crowd there. Yeah I still miss Okemos. Master Miles do you any video or pictures to share?

Please, it's just Peter. :)

I will be getting some photos and hopefully video soon. My friend (the photographer) just had surgery for cancer and so I don't want to put too much pressure on her to get me the pics.

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Master Nathan Doggett sent me some photos of the seminar which I've posted in an album somewhere around MT. I think you have to click on my avatar, go to my profile and then find the right one....

Latest Discussions