MUST read book- Living the Martial Way!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello,

LIVING THE MARTIAL WAY...by Forrest E. Morgen, Major USAF

...great stuffs for everyone who want to understand what a warrior is ....or what you should be seeking!

A must READ book...and you will understand what "martial arts is"...

A concise manual for training in warriorship....provides a systematic, step, by step approach to applying the warrior mind-set for your martial arts and daily life...

We are having a hard time putting this book down.....

PS: This will open your mind and may even change you! to become a better person!

Aloha,

PS: Worth reading and owning....and applies to all kinds of martial art styles...

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello,

LIVING THE MARTIAL WAY...by Forrest E. Morgen, Major USAF

...great stuffs for everyone who want to understand what a warrior is ....or what you should be seeking!

A must READ book...and you will understand what "martial arts is"...

A concise manual for training in warriorship....provides a systematic, step, by step approach to applying the warrior mind-set for your martial arts and daily life...

We are having a hard time putting this book down.....

PS: This will open your mind and may even change you! to become a better person!

Aloha,

PS: Worth reading and owning....and applies to all kinds of martial art styles...

It's good book. It's been on my bookshelf for several years. It gives a good explanation of the concept of 'Honor'.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's a good book certainly. But I think it resulted in people referring to themselves as "warriors" way too liberally. To the point that the word, to my mind, holds very little meaning anymore. That's not the author's fault, mind you. I think his points were fairly specific. But it did a lot to reinforce this romantic notion that people carry of "warriorship." So suddenly every samurai is a noble exemplar of personal development, whereas the historical reality is very different.

Good read. But needs to be kept in perspective.

Stuart

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it is a good read! Though I concur with Stuart.
icon6.gif

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Its been awhile since I have read it, but it is a great book.

If I remember right, I thought it got a little weird talking about when it was honorable to commit suicide, but to each his own...

DergaSmash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am glad this thread was started. I had been thinking of buying it off Amazon for a while but I didn't know if it was any good or not. I am definitely going to give it a shot now.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a good book certainly. But I think it resulted in people referring to themselves as "warriors" way too liberally. To the point that the word, to my mind, holds very little meaning anymore. That's not the author's fault, mind you. I think his points were fairly specific. But it did a lot to reinforce this romantic notion that people carry of "warriorship." So suddenly every samurai is a noble exemplar of personal development, whereas the historical reality is very different.

Good read. But needs to be kept in perspective.

Stuart
Oh I agree.......the idea of being a warrior is a bit stretched.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally read this book in the 1990s. This year I have decided to read it once again. So, far I am enjoying his thoughts. It brings back many memories. His words are thought-provoking. Reading a good book can help you to understand new concepts and apply them to your training and life.

"The Martial Way is not a sport, hobby, or occasional pastime. It's a way of life" - Forrest E. Morgan

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Originally read this book in the 1990s. This year I have decided to read it once again. So, far I am enjoying his thoughts. It brings back many memories. His words are thought-provoking. Reading a good book can help you to understand new concepts and apply them to your training and life.

"The Martial Way is not a sport, hobby, or occasional pastime. It's a way of life" - Forrest E. Morgan
I read that in the early 90s, right around the time I started training CMA

Latest Discussions