muslim judoka refuses to shake hand of isreali rival after match

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/all...ake-israeli-rivals-hand-called-national-hero/

Egyptian judoka Ramadan Darwish refused to shake the hand of Israeli rival Arik Zeevi after the Egyptian defeated him in the quarterfinals of the Judo Grand Prix in Dusseldorf, Germany, prompting an Egyptian website to dub him a “national hero” and an Israeli sportscaster to call him not “sportsmanlike.”According to the Israeli athlete, “He also yelled ‘Allahu Akbar’ when the fight ended.”

thoughts?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The sportscaster has the right of it - sport and politics cannot always be separated from each other but such acts as that one are bad manners in any language.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
imo, your religion should be more important to you than your hobbies. That said, shouldn't he have either refused the match altogether?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thoughts?

I think it's a sore loser being a sore loser. The guy's a jerk, and he's done it before. Other than that, I don't see any religious component to it. FYI, the first time appears to have occurred in May of 2011.

[video=youtube_share;gXNacDRuZUM]http://youtu.be/gXNacDRuZUM[/video]

At 1:01, he bows to his competitor.

At 1:04, his competitor bows back to him.

At 1:05, he turns and begins to stalk off the mat, obviously upset over losing. At the same moment, his competitor begins to walk towards him; if you play the video frame-by-frame, when his competitor stretches out his hand to shake hands, he has completely turned away and clearly cannot see the hand being offered.

The judge is obviously offended by his stalking off the mat, and orders him back. At 1:19, he reappears, bows very slightly to his competitor, and immediately turns and stalks off again, this time clearly ignoring his competitor.

In the most recent match, he won instead of losing, but he's still a jerk. He does bow to his competitor; in the earlier match, he bows deeply; in the more recent match, it's perfunctory. But he does bow. For whatever reason, though, he doesn't shake hands. My question would be whether he shakes hands with anyone. I've seen more than my share of elite athletes who felt it beneath them to shake hands after a game; even in the USA.

The fact is, Egyptians tend not to like Israelis and vice-versa. Although in this case the Israeli competitors were clearly better sportsmen.

Other than that, I think it's a lot of noise over some jerk behaving like a jerk. As to what his fellow Egyptians have to say about it, I'm not surprised. Big deal, they don't like Israel. Huge shocker.

EDIT: I found some other videos of Ramadan Darmish on Youtube. Apparently, he does shake hands with competitors. Just not Israelis. He is a jerk and a poor sportsman.

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bill, that being said, do you think he should be subject to some sort of sanction?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill, that being said, do you think he should be subject to some sort of sanction?

What are the rules of the Judo federation he belongs to? Is shaking hands required? Is refusing to shake hands seen as unsportsmanlike conduct? If so, then yes, I suppose so. If not, then no.

Honestly, though? I don't care what jerks do. It doesn't get my panties in a knot either way.

[video=youtube_share;p09y7yZAutQ]http://youtu.be/p09y7yZAutQ[/video]

Here's (apparently) France's soccer coach refusing to shake hands with South Africa's coach.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2010/10/rand-paul-wont-shake-hands-debate.html

Here's Rand Paul refusing to shake hands with Democrats.

I really don't care who shakes hands with whom.

As my dad once said when he tried to hold a door for a woman and got chewed out for it: "I don't hold the door for you because you are a lady, but because I am a gentleman." I offer to shake hands. If it's ignored, oh well. Life is too short to get all torn up over it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
imo, your religion should be more important to you than your hobbies. That said, shouldn't he have either refused the match altogether?

I don't know why it is a religious issue. It's a jerk-wad issue.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen other Muslim sportsmen from Egypt as well as other countries manage to be in the same place as Israeli sportsmen and behave properly. I think it must be this particular Judoka.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As my dad once said when he tried to hold a door for a woman and got chewed out for it: "I don't hold the door for you because you are a lady, but because I am a gentleman."

A quote I dearly love :nods:.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As my dad once said when he tried to hold a door for a woman and got chewed out for it: "I don't hold the door for you because you are a lady, but because I am a gentleman."

Your dad is wise, I may have to use this sometime.

I agree with others that say the Egyption guy is simply a jerk, it has nothing to do with religion or politics. I think he might have a bright future in WWE, just kidding.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If there's a sportsmanship clause in the rules, then he should be sanctioned for his bad behavior. I've always believed that good sportsmanship should exist between two competitors, even if they really don't like each other. After the match is over, and everyone has left the building, they can go back to hating each other, trash talking, etc.

I am not familiar with this league's rules, though, and if they don't have such clauses in the books, then no, he shouldn't be sanctioned. However, that still doesn't prevent me (and many others) from expressing my belief that he's a real jerk about things.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fine with and appreciate men I know opening doors for me but from a SD point of view entering a room for example with someone (doesn't have to be a man) behind you isn't always ideal, not that I'd be rude but I'd find an excuse to go after someone I was wary of.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm fine with and appreciate men I know opening doors for me but from a SD point of view entering a room for example with someone (doesn't have to be a man) behind you isn't always ideal, not that I'd be rude but I'd find an excuse to go after someone I was wary of.

I'm trying to figure out what the above has to do with the original topic. But in any event, I would say if the muslim competitor does not wish to shake the hand of the israeli competitor, then we shouldn't be forcing them. Instead perhaps we should be understanding why they are behaving that way. Perhaps the bow is enough.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is a good rallying thread title I think.

Latest Discussions