muslim judoka refuses to shake hand of isreali rival after match

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what the above has to do with the original topic. But in any event, I would say if the muslim competitor does not wish to shake the hand of the israeli competitor, then we shouldn't be forcing them. Instead perhaps we should be understanding why they are behaving that way. Perhaps the bow is enough.

Read posts, 7, 13 and 14. People are trying to understand why he is behaving that way hence the discussion on whether it's because he lost or because the winner was Israeli, whther he did it to others or just some, does he shake hands with Israelis when he's the winner etc etc.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is a good rallying thread title I think.

I think you are right.

Imagine the two soccer coaches I posted the link to earlier in the thread. I suppose one could find out what religion they are, and then post something like "Catholic Coach refuses to shake Protestant's Hand!" or "Black Coach refuses to shake White coach's Hand!" or whatever trait a person would want to emphasize to make a point.

I would presume that an Egyptian with a name like his is probably of the Muslim faith, but I didn't read it anywhere specifically, and I'm not sure there's any proof that he yelled "Allah Akubar" as he left the ring. So I'm not really sure how his being Muslim has anything to do with it. It might, of course, but that would be in his own mind, and hard for anyone else to know his reasons. He might just be a jerk.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Read posts, 7, 13 and 14. People are trying to understand why he is behaving that way hence the discussion on whether it's because he lost or because the winner was Israeli, whther he did it to others or just some, does he shake hands with Israelis when he's the winner etc etc.

I'm sure in your mind the idea of someone holding a door open for you is somehow related to a muslim competitor refusing to shake the hand of an israeli competitor after a match. I just don't see it, that's all.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the video I posted where he did it before, he lost. However, point taken. He's not just a sore loser, he's a poor sport, period.

That is one way to look at it, from an american perspective, we shake hands after and if someone chooses not to, then they are a poor sport, a sore loser or a bad person. Or perhaps someone from Israel may have hurt or killed a member of his family and the muslim competitor isn't ready to let go of that yet. Or any number of other reasons why he chose not to shake that other competitor's hand.

But at least he bowed, which at this stage, may have been a lot for him. Without more information, it is difficult to say.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure in your mind the idea of someone holding a door open for you is somehow related to a muslim competitor refusing to shake the hand of an israeli competitor after a match. I just don't see it, that's all.

Then if it's in my mind it's not off topic is it roflmao. You really must stop chasing me across threads you know, people will talk about us.:) I don't think you're my sort of chap somehow.

Latest Discussions