Music while training.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Below is a piece I have used before, can you please listen and give thoughts on whether it would help you guys?

Every school is going to have a sort of culture to it, and music (or lack of music) is a part of that culture.

Personally whale sounds would probably cause me to walk out the door... that is not going to get me moving. Maybe for stretching? But for a workout, nope, not for me.

That's fine though, your school clearly has a very different culture in that regard and if it's working for you rock on.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did capoeria. That is defined by its music.

And for those worried about having rhythm look up syncopation.

I have always had interest in this style. I can never find anyone who trains in it though so I can't spar against it or anything.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you ever have an opportunity give it a go.
It has always looked like a lot of extra movement when I watched it, but I've heard good things from a couple of guys who had a chance to spar with Capoeira guys or get a taste some other way. I can't help thinking there are some great principles in there if it can take those large movements and extra bits and still produce an effective fighting art - would be fun to tinker with and learn a bit from.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It has always looked like a lot of extra movement when I watched it, but I've heard good things from a couple of guys who had a chance to spar with Capoeira guys or get a taste some other way. I can't help thinking there are some great principles in there if it can take those large movements and extra bits and still produce an effective fighting art - would be fun to tinker with and learn a bit from.

if you want to capo in a serious way. Which happens if there is a rivalry. The movements close up considerably.

Vale tudo is also a capoeira term.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In 1980 the building our dojo was in was purchased and we were out in thirty days. Fortunately we had a lot of friends who had dojos, so we became gypsies for a year. Three nights a week we'd pile into three cars and go to one of a half dozen dojos. One of them used to warm up with shadowboxing/kicking/footwork with hard rock over a nice sound system. Got to love it.

Don't like it during sparring so much, but sometimes. I know to each is own, but if I heard whale songs I'd either rip the speakers out....or go home and spark up a fatty.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you want to capo in a serious way. Which happens if there is a rivalry. The movements close up considerably.

Vale tudo is also a capoeira term.
Interesting. The skill is defnitely there, though I'd expect those guys to take a beating facing a more direct and contained opponent (well-trained MMA guy, hard-sparring Shotokan, etc.) until they reduced their movements even more. From your experience how well does Capoeira translate to sparring with those types of folks?

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I only listen to music if I'm doing boring cardio, then usually something energetic like Hardcore to keep me moving. I don't listen to music during my strength training (even though the gym plays music over the speaker, I don't actually listen) or training MA.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Over the years I worked with two cops who did Capoeira. (This was years apart, they didn't know each other) One had a taller stance and the other was real low stanced (and had some of the strongest legs of anyone I can remember.) I don't know if that was due to various styles of Capoeira, if there are such things, but it's probably like everything else in the arts.

We sparred with each other a few times. It was very odd at first as their stance and movement wasn't something I wasn't used to. But that went both ways as well. It came down to adapting timing to movement, which I guess is true in any sparring.
It was a lot of fun and we banged each other around. We never went too hard, the administration frowned on that and always seemed to be around. I don't know how it would translate to MMA style take downs as we were just striking.

I don't particularly like that style, it's not for me, but I don't particularly like orange hats, motorcycles or tight clothes either.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting. The skill is defnitely there, though I'd expect those guys to take a beating facing a more direct and contained opponent (well-trained MMA guy, hard-sparring Shotokan, etc.) until they reduced their movements even more. From your experience how well does Capoeira translate to sparring with those types of folks?

You would get mauled trying that in the ring.

Mostly.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would get mauled trying that in the ring.

Mostly.
Okay. Would someone well-skilled in capoeira be able to easily refine those movements to something more usable in those situations, or is that movement too ingrained? It seems like they have a hard time being direct, because of the dance forms they train with.

In any case, looks like something I'd have liked to play with back in my 20's.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay. Would someone well-skilled in capoeira be able to easily refine those movements to something more usable in those situations, or is that movement too ingrained? It seems like they have a hard time being direct, because of the dance forms they train with.

In any case, looks like something I'd have liked to play with back in my 20's.

In capo you are not really meant to be sparring the guy. It is a game. So there are inefficiencies that become more focused on.

But you do get people who convert it to mma.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over the years I worked with two cops who did Capoeira. (This was years apart, they didn't know each other) One had a taller stance and the other was real low stanced (and had some of the strongest legs of anyone I can remember.) I don't know if that was due to various styles of Capoeira, if there are such things, but it's probably like everything else in the arts.

We sparred with each other a few times. It was very odd at first as their stance and movement wasn't something I wasn't used to. But that went both ways as well. It came down to adapting timing to movement, which I guess is true in any sparring.
It was a lot of fun and we banged each other around. We never went too hard, the administration frowned on that and always seemed to be around. I don't know how it would translate to MMA style take downs as we were just striking.

I don't particularly like that style, it's not for me, but I don't particularly like orange hats, motorcycles or tight clothes either.
Thanks, Buka. That's some nice insight. I'll forgive your dislike of motorcycles, on those grounds.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a great video - thanks for posting it, Tony. Those spinning kicks really cover a lot of ground and generate a lot of energy. It's clear some of those opponents tried to back away and simply didn't get far enough to avoid the second round of kicks.

EDIT: Apparently, thanks go to Drop Bear, too. I read in reverse order.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently I have modified my playlist as it were. While at home with my heavy bag, I played the "Gladiator" OST on YouTube. That was great for me. Obviously different tempos, but was fun :)

Latest Discussions