Music when you train?

TapouT

White Belt
Reaction score
Do you listen to music when you train?

I find it helpful to listen to music when I train because Im not so focused on the actual training that I can train hard without hurting myself.

My Sensi turns on a cd when we are warming up and it keeps me calm and focused on keeping a steady pace when running and everything so I dont over work and hurt myself cause I tend on doing that sometimes.

Also when Im on my heavy bag or practing at home I turn on music and it motivates me also.. It makes me want my goal more...

Anybody else like this?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very rarely, our sensei will put 'Jock Jams" on the CD player and we do our warm up exercises to that. Pretty rare, though.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Most of our classes have music in the background. Where do you train?

OP
TapouT

TapouT

White Belt
Reaction score
Most of our classes have music in the background. Where do you train?

I train in Florida in a Judo & Sambo Academy its a little class 5 days a week..:) We do Judo, Jiu Jitsu, Sambo, Wrestling, Grappling, Stuff like that :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love training with music :). When I trained with Mike and May Williams in their Kali and Silat classes, they often played traditional Filipino and Indonesian music and incense. Most of my other teachers played high energy rock. Both ways were awesome...helps keep your mind off the pain :D

TapouT your school sounds like a lot of fun!

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In a competition context, yep. Not in "traditional" sessions.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I train in Florida in a Judo & Sambo Academy its a little class 5 days a week..:) We do Judo, Jiu Jitsu, Sambo, Wrestling, Grappling, Stuff like that :)
Is that under Zurab Bekochvili? Cool. Bet that's fun.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Only when I train alone. Not in class. I don't need the students distracted, but when I'm working the bag or lifting weights a little METAL helps motivate me! \m/

Christian Soldier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm with celtic crippler, I find music to make practicing much more epic and I've used it a lot in demos and such, but it's annoying to have to talk over the music when you are trying to teach and you really want people to really focus when they first learn something new, music is better for practice. There's also the problem of people with different music taste, I really don't like pop. But I find pretty much every one likes epic music like Two Steps From Hell, Transformer 3: The Score, and Globus.