Muscle Memory

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Muscle memory is definitely real. Just curious, from what you describe I wonder where your foot pivot is relative to your round kick. I have seen a lot of flexible people who could kick with the kicking leg in the right position/rotation but pivot their standing leg little if at all. Could this be part of the reversion back to a front kick?

Good question
When I did a full chamber, I had to move foot to do the round and I think it throw off my timing.
Your right I only pivot a little from a front kick to round kick.

I think that it was more of a timing thing , than a back foot placement. I think probably in my past, I practice doing a round kick after a half chamber side kick and it triggered a memory, I think probably in the past , I practice a round kick after, a front kick, so it trigger another memory. So then I remembered how it felt and I could reproduce it.

I practice so much yesterday , my legs are very tight all day. They will not loosen up. I can't make up my mind as should I go to class tonight. I am afraid of pulling something or am I using it as an excuse. Tuesday nights is when the women instructor kills my stomach
muscles.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends really.

I can kick much harder and with better form at chest-head height than waist height.

Faster too.

And low (below waist) turning kick, forget it - I might as well make a face at them...
I would not go that far, but I agree it has everything to do with how you have trained.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good question
When I did a full chamber, I had to move foot to do the round and I think it throw off my timing.
Your right I only pivot a little from a front kick to round kick.

I think that it was more of a timing thing , than a back foot placement. I think probably in my past, I practice doing a round kick after a half chamber side kick and it triggered a memory, I think probably in the past , I practice a round kick after, a front kick, so it trigger another memory. So then I remembered how it felt and I could reproduce it.

I practice so much yesterday , my legs are very tight all day. They will not loosen up. I can't make up my mind as should I go to class tonight. I am afraid of pulling something or am I using it as an excuse. Tuesday nights is when the women instructor kills my stomach
muscles.
Well, if it is a core class maybe it will give your legs a break. Just do it.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends really.

I can kick much harder and with better form at chest-head height than waist height.

Faster too.

And low (below waist) turning kick, forget it - I might as well make a face at them...
Chest high the most powerful for me or at least it used to be.
The height at which the hip flips over gives me maximum power.
The the more the knee points down the less power I have.

Depending on your height and flexibility, the height of your hip flip over chest-head height maybe best for you.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions