Multiple Styles

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Practicing one style seriously will take a great deal of your time, energy, and commitment. How in the world do you practice two or more, and still balance work, family, school, friends, and other aspects of life? That's why when I see so called "Grandmasters" who claim high ranks in multiple arts, I think "yeah right". High rank in one is a major commitment. Anything more would be impossible.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rank and skill are two entirely different things. One of them is status in an organization. The other is knowledge and ability. Personally, I'm more interested in the second than the first. Remember what I said earlier. Every single martial arts style and system out there is the result of someone combining things from more than one source to make something that (in his or her opinion) worked better. If they'd had your attitude we'd still be at the stick and stone stage. Yes, the parade of belts, twelve sixth dans, a tenth, a fifteenth, two seconds and a fourth is ridiculous. But I know a fair number of people with solid credentials in several things. Teaching certificates in a couple kinds of Eskrima, a Black Belt in BJJ, an Associate Instructor under Guru Inosanto, a Thai boxing teaching credential (and a few professional fights to go along with it) and a Guru in a style of Silat? That's very common. And every one of them means something.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I study multiple styles. After I learned one form in one style which took about 5-6 months to be decent. I had the choice to perfect it or move on to another form within the style or pick a different style to try the first form. I decided to learn from the new style and learn the first form which again took about 5-6 months. quote]
Snort! You've got to be kidding. If you can grasp anything with any depth in 5-6 months, you are either the most gifted MAer around or you're kidding yourself. Cross training can be very useful, but you have to be realistic. I suggest that you take a close look at what the others are saying here, especially the wise old guy with the Pavaroctopus singing the Wagnerian tribute to the "Old Ones".

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Apart from all the things like getting a solid base in one art, not overdoing it, etc, I think it's important that you really want to learn that second/third / fourth / etc art.

I've been interested in the sword arts since I was about nine, but I've never been able to study them because there is no-one who teaches it in my city. Though I was a bit of a martial arts freak, it 'died' down a bit and I never realized that I could also study another art, so I just 'forgot' about it after a while. Two years ago, however, I decided that I really needed to get some physical exercise because I had muscle aches after every P.E. class, so eventually I discovered Pencak Silat and started following classes. My old 'passion' for martial arts was revived again by reading things on the internet and the desire to start learning Iaido (or another sword art) grew and grew... Now I'm 17 and old enough to travel to another city to learn Iaido, so now I cross train in Iaido & Jodo, even though one can't say that I've got a solid grounding in Pencak Silat (I've been doing it for only two years). The only problems that I've encountered regarding cross training so far are about the stances (the stances in Iaido & Jodo all have the feet pointing to the front) and the way you look at your opponent (I've been taught to look at the shoulders / base of throat' and in Jodo you meet their eyes). Now I've practiced a bit and I think I'm fairly able to differentiate between the two. It only takes a bit of practice / effort and if you are willing to do that, what's the problem? If you really want to learn a second art (for whatever reason) and willing to put in the effort, I think you'll be able to do it...

Of course, it would be stupid to start training three arts without any experience in one, because learning a martial art itself has to be learned. It's the same with 'normal' schooling - in primary school you aren't taught as much subjects as in high school because you need to learn how to study- you need to get used to using your body in a certain way. But I don't think that this learning phase has to last until you are very proficient in your primary art... It's all about your own motivations.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I study multiple styles. After I learned one form in one style which took about 5-6 months to be decent. I had the choice to perfect it or move on to another form within the style or pick a different style to try the first form. I decided to learn from the new style and learn the first form which again took about 5-6 months. quote]
Snort! You've got to be kidding. If you can grasp anything with any depth in 5-6 months, you are either the most gifted MAer around or you're kidding yourself. Cross training can be very useful, but you have to be realistic. I suggest that you take a close look at what the others are saying here, especially the wise old guy with the Pavaroctopus singing the Wagnerian tribute to the "Old Ones".
I disagree; it depends on the form and the student's background. I'd expect an experienced student to achieve a pretty high level of understanding of our first form in only a few months. In fact, I've seen people with no prior training learn THAT form well, with good understanding, in only a few months. It's a pretty simple & direct form.

But there are other forms that do take years to really learn and understand.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I disagree; it depends on the form and the student's background. I'd expect an experienced student to achieve a pretty high level of understanding of our first form in only a few months. In fact, I've seen people with no prior training learn THAT form well, with good understanding, in only a few months. It's a pretty simple & direct form.

But there are other forms that do take years to really learn and understand.

You're probably right if you are talking about an experienced practitioner learning another form in a similar style. But if you're talking about a green belt jumping from Shotokan to Tai Chi to Bjj to Wing Chun to...? I'd really have my doubts. If you are trying to learn significantly different arts and do more than scratch the surface, it's going to take some time.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You've got to be kidding. If you can grasp anything with any depth in 5-6 months, you are either the most gifted MAer around or you're kidding yourself. Cross training can be very useful, but you have to be realistic. I suggest that you take a close look at what the others are saying here, especially the wise old guy with the Pavaroctopus singing the Wagnerian tribute to the "Old Ones".
5-6 months of doing the same form over and over again does not mean I have Learned it in depth which I never claimed. I did claim if to learn it decent enough and of course to the satisfaction of MY TEACHER otherwise I would not be allowed to move on the next part of the form. Also I do go back and go into the form in depth just in my training I do things differently.
Another reason as I stated before is you get as much as you put in meaning for one part of the form I learn do I practice that form for at least an hour a day. So if the form has 8 parts and I learn a new part once a week that would be 2 months in which my form was not up to par another 4 months does the form look good enough to my teacher.
I hope that clarifies things a bit more.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, IMHO, it is possible to train in more than one style at a time. Usually, the first concern that comes up is, "How do you find the time?" Well, sure, that can be an issue. Most of us work 40hrs a week, sometimes more, and there are only so many classes a week and only so much time you can devote, so....

Now, while everyones goals will vary, I do it not for the rank, but for the sake of learning and expanding my knowledge. After around 10yrs, on and off, due to my work schedule, I tested last month for my Black Belt in Arnis. I tested with 3 others who also have many years in, but never tested on a regular basis. Was that a concern for me, that it took that long? Not really, because as I said, I'm not chasing rank.

Another concern is "Can you be effective if you're only training in something 1 or 2 times a week?" IMO, yes. Sure, you progress at a slower pace, but again, what are your goals? To learn an art or to test every month so you can have a new belt to hang on the wall? Of course, supplementing those classes with privates and informal workouts is also a big plus. :)

I do feel that you should have a base art first, before taking something else on. Myself, Kenpo is my base, and I didn't cross train until I was Brown. The 3 arts..Kenpo, Arnis and BJJ blend very well.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As another poster said, if you plan on studying two or more arts together, better have a good divorce lawyer on reatiner, because no wife (unless she is extremely understanding and doesn't mind not seeing you) would put up with that.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
studying two or more arts together, better have a good divorce lawyer on reatiner, because no wife (unless she is extremely understanding and doesn't mind not seeing you) would put up with that.
I study 2 arts and I work a 40 hour work week and still managed to see my wife and spend time. If you know how to manage your time it works out fine.

Reactions: MJS

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I study 2 arts and I work a 40 hour work week and still managed to see my wife and spend time. If you know how to manage your time it works out fine.

Yes, I second that!!! My wife works days (8:30am to 5pm) Monday thru Friday, weekends and holidays off. I work 4pm-12am all the time. My days off rotate every 3 weeks, so needless to say, her and I are like 2 ships passing in the night.

I was training in the arts long before I met her, so she knew that this was something I enjoy and didn't plan on stopping. She is supportive of my training and even on days when we're off together and it happens to be one of my training days, I always make time with her afterwards. :) Like you said, if you know how to manage your time, it works out! :)