style combinations

S

SMAC

Lots of people these days train in a number of clubs/styles simultaneously or go to learn a new style after becoming proficient in one. I run a relaxed, social mixed styles club where anybody can teach what they know. My background is taekwondo but i have learnt some grappling skills etc from other members. Likewise, i teach judo dudes to kick.
What do you think are the best styles to combine for all round self-defence, flashiness, free fighting etc? I reckon muay thai+ brazilian jujitsu for free fighting.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Learning new things is always good. I would prefer to do that after becoming proficient in what is now my primary art (jujitsu) before trying it though, as I'll only confuse myself otherwise.

How does the insurence work with that? If you're teaching mixed martial arts but you only hold instructor status in TKD, who gets sued if someone gets badly hurt? I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but it is something you need to have thought about. if you teach Judo (or allow it to be taught by someone under your supervision as head instructor) without the backing of a governimg body and its insurence, you could be in trouble if an accident happens.

Dunno what others think about this, but any time I taught a class, it was only teaching what I was quallified to teach (Judo), and therefore didn't include many techniques I would have liked to teach, like strikes, wrist locks, leg locks, etc... I wouldn't have been covered against accidents if I'd taught these without the appropriate knowledge.

Interesting point for other judo practicioners: if you have a liscence to teach, after having been tested on a certain syllabus, how does your insurence get affected by teaching stuff that's still technically within the art but not tested as part of the coaching award? Strange that I never really thought of that unti;l after my coaching liscence expired.

celtic bhoy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've tried crosstraining in Wing Chun and ITF Tkd.I thought Wing Chun hands would go well with Tkd legs. For me the idea didn't work as the styles have nothing in common. In my opinion styles should share some sort of common ground in order to combine successfully.

OP
B

Blackdragon

I mix Wing Chun, Tae Kwon Do, and Muay Thai.( I still need to get some grappling training). Although I sort of mix these together, my main focus is on Wing Chun.
The reason I mix these three is so I'll be good with my hands( Wing Chun and Muay Tai) and feet ( Tae kwon do and Muay Thai-you gotta love those Thai knees and roundhouses). I'm trying to work on becoming a well-rounded fighter.
I'm not saying this is the best mix or you should mix them like this, this is what I prefer doing. " To each his own".

:asian: your brother in training

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

combining arts is great but you have to be careful about the arts interfering with each other. i mean if u learn TKD, MT, and Karate, which style of kick will u use? what defense technique will you use? are they practical?

i would choose arts from different categories.ie: striking, grappling, groundfight, and weapons training.

i would choose MT, Judo or Jui Jitsu, Brazilian Ju Jitsu, <knife art>, <sword art> <--- becuaase someone migt hae a stick.

OP
M

MartialArtist

The style of kicks aren't so different.

There are slight variations. The TKD roundhouse and the muay thai round kick. However, TKD also has its round kick. Even if the TKD and the muay thai round kick was different, there are times when to use one and times to use the other. The roundhouse is quicker than the round kick. The round kick has more power than the roundhouse as you use more hip power. Which one do you use? Depends on the situation.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll say TKD to really learn how to kick and kick very proficiently. American Kenpo to learn hand strikes, multiple striking, self-defense and many many more extras. Last but not least some form of JJ. There are many styles pick one you feel comfortable with as well as a top quality instructor.

OP
M

MartialArtist

It's very different for every person.

For me... Combat TKD, muay thai, boxing, wing chun, wrestling, and hapkido. Mostly TKD, hapkido, and wing chun. Wrestling and boxing is something I picked up during high school and after and muay thai much later.

OP
S

sammy3170

Originally posted by MartialArtist

It's very different for every person.

For me... Combat TKD, muay thai, boxing, wing chun, wrestling, and hapkido. Mostly TKD, hapkido, and wing chun. Wrestling and boxing is something I picked up during high school and after and muay thai much later.

We cover all the ranges of fighting at the school I train but don't do a lot of weapons training (you need a licence for most weapons in Australia now $150 per year) so I cross train when I can (not often enough) in stick and knife fighting with the Australian branch of the Scientific Fighting Congress (W Hock Hochheims school). I find that the weapons training fits perfectly with the other training.

Cheers
Sammy

OP
F

fringe_dweller

Don't know whether you'd count this *** cross training per se but I've just recently started doing one night a week of freestyle kickboxing to supplement my hapkido. Technically it does nothing for me (yet) but the fitness level these guys have is incredible! I nearly passed out during class last night simply because I had to push myself so hard to keep up. Maybe I'm just unfit though...?

Respectfully

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The dojang I'm with is a mix anyways (TKD, Kung Fu, and Chin Na). But I think I would do Hapkido or Kenpo for self defense, Judo or Jujitsu for ground work, and some kind of weapon art on top of TKD. One at a time is better (except for TKD and Judo, which might be what I take along side TKD in the spring).

Latest Discussions