multiple styles?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gary Arthur said:
I have also trained in Kali, JKD, Hakko Ryu Jujutsu, Aikido, Western Swordsmanship, and Judo whilst studying Ninjutsu. Not because I wanted to put these arts into my art, but because i wanted to know what a Kali/Judo/Jujutsu man etc might attack me with.

I remembered starting an entire thread about this subject. Finally found it here.

I am too lazy to type up the relevent points again, did not know if it was right to cut and paste without listing a link.

G

Gary Arthur

A couple of people have asked about Aikido attacks. Well what if an Aikido guys throws a punch at you and when you respond they try to use some Aikido. I remember some years ago an army guy that studied Aikido who knew I was a martial artist tried to grab me. Not knowing he was into aikido I managed to get him off when he started to try to twist my wrist in an Omote Kote Gyaku Nage type movement or Kote Gaeshi in Aikido. The way this lock was applied was different to how we in Ninjutsu do it, but I now know what an aikido lock/throw feels like. This in turn gives me valuable information about my attacker.

I also had a student in my Dojo who got to black belt in Ninjutsu. He also practiced a lot of Judo and Aikido. He was great for using as an Uke as he could escape from anything and make it look dynamic (excellent for demonstrations)It was also great training trying to stop him escaping and rolling out of any throw I did.

I have also visited martial arts Dojos where martial arts clubs have mixed Karate, Judo and Aikido in to a mix and finally calling it something like Goshinjutsu. These clubs may start with an attack but their primary goal is to get you into grappling range to employ either throws (judo) or wrist locks (Aikido)

Finally what happens when you are working as a security guard, Police officer, prison officer and you need to arrest or control someone, or maybe just stop someone and they attempt an Aikido wrist lock on you which if applied could take you to the ground in seconds.

Please also remember that there are many styles of Aikido. Morihei Ueshiba Aikido might be quite passive in its defences but what about Tomiki style. Or the Aikido thats practiced by the Japanese police that is used in an aggresive manner.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, what would you have done to provoke an attack from an aikido practitioner?:)
And how does one get a black belt in ninjutsu?

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
And how does one get a black belt in ninjutsu?
You pass your black belt test.

Or you buy your own and just claim to be a blackbelt (much easier). Be sure to get one with writing on it (don't worry about what the writing says - just get something super cool).

-Daniel

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Didn't know uncle H had changed the ranking procedures so that you're now able to get shodan in ninjutsu as well as Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu.

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
Didn't know uncle H had changed the ranking procedures so that you're now able to get shodan in ninjutsu as well as Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu.
Ah! Nevermind. I see what you are getting at...

I recommend Ashida Kim - then.

Carry on...

-Daniel

Latest Discussions