multiple styles?

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I cross-train, I prefer to do so to get a feel of the fighting tactics of the respective style, not for mere technique collecting.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Did I not convey that idea? I don't go to collect technique either, but it doesn't hurt to learn. I have also gained an idea for the effectiveness for some groups, including the Kans.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IMO, a lot of people cross-train far too early. In most cases, they're looking for something they feel is missing from their primary art, when in fact, it's due to a lack of understanding of that art.

Jeff

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do agree with that. I waited some years before doing so myself. Now it encompasses about 5-10% of my training. Still great experience.

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kalifallen said:
I think it is cool to learn a different varieties of ninjutsu. I'm going to learn Tew Ryu and Bujinkan and pretty proud of the variety that I'm going to learn.
Yep. I agree. Cool is the right word - dooode. Smart may not be the right word, or effective, but "cool" definately is.

Enson said:
why would dr. hatsumi not wish anyone else to train with the other kans? is there something wrong with it? resentment toward the others? not trying to offend but kinda made me wonder why?
Well - Dr. Hatsumi runs the Bujinkan. I guess it doesn't matter why - does it? Maybe he hates their patches... Or maybe he has his own reasons... Guess you could ask him.

Bujingodai said:
I am a big believer in cross training. For a variety of reasons. You will gain the knowledge of the other styles and the way they carry things, often this is good when you are learning of culture etc etc. You may pick up a technique here and there.
A good art is a complete art - the body and mind (philosophy / mindset and physical techniques) work together. Principles, strategies, and patterns are far more important than "techniques". My cross training has been to see other schools and their principles, strategies, and patterns - not to pick up a cool new technique to impress my friends at the dojo... As such - I am completely happy with the art I am in - with no need to check out other Ninja dojos (sighs) -- especially the kinds without legitimate history.

Anywho -

-Daniel

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bujingodai said:
Did I not convey that idea? I don't go to collect technique either, but it doesn't hurt to learn. I have also gained an idea for the effectiveness for some groups, including the Kans.
This would be a dangerous assumption to make - IMO. The best you could say is that you gained an idea for the effectiveness of some individuals within a group - hardly the group itself. The "Kans" for example - have such a HUGE variation in their talents and abilities - the best you could get would be a flavor or a subtle hint on what the group in general does...

-Daniel

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Glad your happy. I am too. I don't pick up techniques to impress people, no need for that. I don't see anything wrong with learning something.

Yes I guess it could look like a wild assumption. as for my exposure to the Kan. I was there for a few years, have trained also in over 10 of the schools been to seminars and Tai kai, so yes it is a small amount of exposure. However it is exposure, and certainly enough to get a very basic opinion.
I was really impressed by some, take my Shidoshi Frank Hill. And very very disappointed by some that I saw as well, however I am not rude enough to throw names there.
Same goes for the independents. I have met likely more schools than most. I have seen some that are really great people, however I don't see eye to eye with the technique, it looks made up or very little "taijutsuesque" for whatever that is worth.
On the other hand I have met some of the schools that are in question on the other boards, they have incredible skills and incredible schools
Now if you are happy with what you are doing. Cool. I am happy with what I am doing.
So what are we arguing about

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bujingodai said:
...I don't see anything wrong with learning something.

Same goes for the independents. I have met likely more schools than most. I have seen some that are really great people, however I don't see eye to eye with the technique, it looks made up or very little "taijutsuesque" for whatever that is worth.
On the other hand I have met some of the schools that are in question on the other boards, they have incredible skills and incredible schools
Now if you are happy with what you are doing. Cool. I am happy with what I am doing.
So what are we arguing about
I don't think we are arguing. As stated before - it is dangerous to cross-train before you reach a significant milestone in your training in ONE art as there is nothing to base your cross-training in...

On a vaguely related note - I am surprised you grade the Indies on "Taijustsu-esque" - as the indies, by definition, don't have a traditional background. Other than sharing (borrowing / stealing?) the ninjutsu (ninja?) name - they admit they have nothing in common with traditional JAPANESE ninjutsu schools (which I don't understand). I lump them in with the "Joe's school for kicking ***" - which doesn't have a taijutsu scale at all - it is just Joe and his ability to "kick ***"...

Anywho...

-Daniel

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok fair enough, well we agree on the first part anyway.

As for the Taijutsuesque movement, I'm not judging whether or not these schools have any traditional merit or whatever. Just most of the indie schools that I know are X Kan or somewhat similar, many of them have the typical shifting movement that I would have been used to. So being that is my experience thats how I see it.
However I see your point, and there are more than enough of the schools that should just be called Joes school for kicking ***

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bujingodai said:
Ok fair enough, well we agree on the first part anyway.

As for the Taijutsuesque movement, I'm not judging whether or not these schools have any traditional merit or whatever. ...
However I see your point, and there are more than enough of the schools that should just be called Joes school for kicking ***
That is the point though...

Why try to attach to the "ninja" title? The groups aren't authentic, so why pretend to be? It is as easy to make the argument that they practice Klingon warfare as it is to claim they are practicing "ninjutsu / ninjitsu".

Anyway -

-Daniel

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DWeidman said:
It is as easy to make the argument that they practice Klingon warfare as it is to claim they are practicing "ninjutsu / ninjitsu".

-Daniel
Because I understand that the school that claimed to teach Klingon HTH got sued...

Yes. I am being serious.

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Because I understand that the school that claimed to teach Klingon HTH got sued...

Yes. I am being serious.
Hm. That throws a wrench into it... or does it???

They could claim they teach Klungon - and then claim the difference in spelling makes it legit - right?

-Daniel

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bujingodai said:
Actually -- in hindsight -- shouldn't ***ALL*** of those schools be called Joes School for Kicking *** - unless the school has an authentic Menkyo Kaiden in a REAL ninjutsu school?

I mean - you can take a birthday card and call it a passport - but it doesn't get you through customs no matter how much you want to pretend it isn't a birthday card... right? Why do we tollerate birthday cards and agree to call them passports out here?

Maybe "Monopoly Money" v. real currency is a better analogy...

-Daniel

L

Limeydog

Hey Dan,

NICE!!!! Good to see you on martial talk. Guess things are gonna get pretty interesting.

Later
Patrick

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
K, well I guess we agree to disagree I think.

Regardless, I think your selling yourself short not opening your eyes to some of these groups. I know you don't think so, but I have benefited from seeing them. Even if it was to prove to me what everyone says about them.

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bujingodai said:
K, well I guess we agree to disagree I think.

Regardless, I think your selling yourself short not opening your eyes to some of these groups. I know you don't think so, but I have benefited from seeing them. Even if it was to prove to me what everyone says about them.
Not really. We agree that you have tolerance for liars.

I don't think you understand where I am coming from. I have NO problem with "Joes School of ***-Kicking". I will even stop by and check that out - train there if they seem to be a GREAT school. I have no idea how this is "selling myself short"...

It is like going to a Greek restaurant - to find out they have Chinese food. Sure, the Chinese food may be good - but it isn't really Greek food is it? So why should I ever stop there again - as the reason I stopped by the first time was under FALSE pretense because they were LIARS. Of course, for some, the food is good enough that the rest of it doesn't matter... right? And, unfortuneately, unlike my food analogy, you aren't out $12.75 - you are potentially compromising years of training, sweat, and dedication for a lie.

Not that you don't get enough crappy instructors in "legit" organizations - but at least they don't LIE straight off the bat.

Anyway...

-Daniel

G

Gary Arthur

In my nineteen years of Studying Ninjutsu I have certainly cross trained. I have trained with Dr Hatsumi in the Bujinkan, Tanemura in the Genbukan, Fumon Tanaka from the Koden Mushi Muso Kai (I think thats right) as well as the Shadows of Iga, and I have found this cross thraining to be of great benefit.

I have also trained in Kali, JKD, Hakko Ryu Jujutsu, Aikido, Western Swordsmanship, and Judo whilst studying Ninjutsu. Not because I wanted to put these arts into my art, but because i wanted to know what a Kali/Judo/Jujutsu man etc might attack me with.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
IMO, a lot of people cross-train far too early. In most cases, they're looking for something they feel is missing from their primary art, when in fact, it's due to a lack of understanding of that art.

That has been my experience as well. I have heard that cross training really should be done after you have reached about the level of instructor in order to have a good foundation in your old art before you start picking up other habits. In the Bujinkan, this would be about the fifth dan, or the equivilent in terms of experience.

Latest Discussions