muay boran -- new section needed !!!!! :)

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
found this place not too far from me :)

Awudt Muay Boran Sitsiam Camp, muaythai | Sitsiam Camp

awudt muay boran the ultimate martial art considered by many to be too dangerous to compete in hence the rise of muay thai.

there are also 3 versions of muay boran too :) and it's history is over 600years old and is battlefield tried and tested over many centuries too :)

the place above is about an hour from me so i might go and have a look to see just how much more brutal it is than muay thai ;)

also think that there needs to be another section added to the forum list for muay boran and it's offshoots :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
found this place not too far from me :)

Awudt Muay Boran Sitsiam Camp, muaythai | Sitsiam Camp

awudt muay boran the ultimate martial art considered by many to be too dangerous to compete in hence the rise of muay thai.

there are also 3 versions of muay boran too :) and it's history is over 600years old and is battlefield tried and tested over many centuries too :)

the place above is about an hour from me so i might go and have a look to see just how much more brutal it is than muay thai ;)

also think that there needs to be another section added to the forum list for muay boran and it's offshoots :)

Wow! Did not think you find this in Blighty. Please do, I will look forward to hear how you get on. Sounds awesome :)

OP
D

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
everywhere that i've seen is muay thai orientated - not muay boran -- prolly cos it's the more brutal version of muay thai ;)

also i'd never have gone looking for mauy boran in the first place if it hadn't been for a post i read in a forum on MT.

i've e-mailed them to see if it would be easy/difficult for my coach to cross train me in muay boran thereby mixing muay thai with muay boran :)

now that's serious killing time (don't mess with me type stuff) ;)

cos there doesn't appear to be too much difference between the two on reading the blurb --- they both have centuries old traditions, they're both brutal and muay thai at least is really good fun :) so am hoping that muay boran would be just as much fun ;)

as for it being awesome --- i'll let the battle scars tell the story ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Muay Boran

Muay boran (Thai: มวยโบราณ, RTGS: muai boran, IPA: [mūɛj bōːrāːn], lit. "ancient boxing") is an umbrella term for the unarmed martial arts of Thailand prior to the introduction of modern equipment and rules in the 1930s. It is thus the direct ancestor of modern Muay Thai and a descendant of the Indo-Chinese fighting arts practiced in the Kingdom of Funan 1000 years earlier.[1] Muay boran is not a single style but acts as an umbrella term for all traditional Siamese (Thai) styles of martial arts, which are Muay Chaiya,Muay Korat,Muay Tasao,Muay Jerng and etc.. These ancient styles have their own unique guards, stance and striking techniques... Whereas Muay Thai is often called the "science of eight limbs", muay boran is said to make use of nawa awut which means "nine weapons", adding headbutts as ninth offensive in addition to the "eight limbs" of hands, legs, elbows and knees used in Muay Thai.

Sounds interesting, please let us know how it goes

OP
D

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i will do :)

looks really interesting - am hoping that my muay thai skills are upto scratch cos muay boran is the complete thai range of skills --- depending on which part of thailand you're training is taken depends on which part of your training takes centre stage so it'll be interesting to say the least :)

hoping my skills are up there cos i got a mix of all types of muay thai but there's a few extras which i'm pretty sure are taken from burmese boxing --- if you go back in history i'm pretty sure that you'll find that bits of thai and burmese have been integrated into each other :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
i will do :)

looks really interesting - am hoping that my muay thai skills are upto scratch cos muay boran is the complete thai range of skills --- depending on which part of thailand you're training is taken depends on which part of your training takes centre stage so it'll be interesting to say the least :)

hoping my skills are up there cos i got a mix of all types of muay thai but there's a few extras which i'm pretty sure are taken from burmese boxing --- if you go back in history i'm pretty sure that you'll find that bits of thai and burmese have been integrated into each other :)

You will find similarities in all martial arts, likely more between what you do and Muay Boran....I found similarities between Taijiquan and Sanda..... go for it, you will do fine

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please keep us informed if you get an answer to your email or if you visit the school.

OP
D

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
on wiki it says that "muay" thai is actually cambodian -- bit of head scratching -- the history is that the cambodians invaded thailand and took over everything leaving the thai's to follow their kings and their ways of doing stuff.

so actually we shouldn't call it "muay thai" we should call it "muay cambodia" (doesn't soumd right to me ;) ) or cambodian boxing............. but it should also be recognised that due to various wars between all the countries that parts of every countries "muay" (boxing) system and then got amalgamated over time..............

didn't realise that there was this much history and actual FACTUAL evidence that went with muay boran :)

OP
D

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You will find similarities in all martial arts, likely more between what you do and Muay Boran....I found similarities between Taijiquan and Sanda..... go for it, you will do fine

it's all well and good for you armchair fanatics but it'll be stepping into that circle of people ;)

OP
D

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
martial talk will be the first to know what it's all about and i'll report back on the e-mail if i get an answer to my questions :)

just gotta go and get my pads out -- got a funny feeling that i'm gunna need to cover up bigtime ;)

OP
D

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i've seen the books and dvd's for sale but stayed away from them cos i had no idea what they were all about :(

all the books and dvd's are now on order as i want to see what it is that i'm going up against --- call it advanced homework if you like ;):):):)

no point walking in to the kitchen if you don't know what created the fire ;)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've seen the books and dvd's for sale but stayed away from them cos i had no idea what they were all about :(

all the books and dvd's are now on order as i want to see what it is that i'm going up against --- call it advanced homework if you like ;):):):)

no point walking in to the kitchen if you don't know what created the fire ;)

Cool beans, can you list them please :) Curious as to what you are going for!

OP
D

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
^^^yup^^^

the first one is a dvd it's 1 hour and 14 minutes of pure violence long ;) it's called Muay Thai : Muay Boran by Quantum Leap priced at £27.37

the second one is a book called Mauy submissions, breaks and locks of Muay Thai & Muay Boran by Master Lee £11.56 (paperback)

the third one is a book called Muay Thai Advanced Boran : The Fighting Art of Kings by Arjan Marco De Cesaris £22.01

all these are available on Amazon either in dvd's or the bookstore :)

think that there's enough here for me and scotty to have a proper play with :)

OP
D

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
oh one other point - i read through the descriptions of what's likely to be involved and have got scotty a full face helmet and abs pads --- he's gunna be needing them to go with the strike pads and chest guard that i already have :):):)

i don't want to keep putting scotty in hospital when it comes to doing muay boran combinations ;) muay boran is essentially the effective killing of another person ASAP ;) luuuuuurvely :):):)

forgot to add the movies Ong Bak, Ong Bak 2, Ong Bak 3 are all Muay Boran :)

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks for the info :)

donnaTKD said:
i don't want to keep putting scotty in hospital when it comes to doing muay boran combinations ;) muay boran is essentially the effective killing of another person ASAP ;) luuuuuurvely :):):)

Not sure if that is just cool or just outrageous lol. Poor Scotty :D

OP
D

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
:):)^^^LoL^^^:):)

from what i've seen it's far more brutal than Muay Thai will ever be allowed to be cos the art of Muay Thai that's being taught now is the competition stuff so it's all about points :(

Muay Boran is all about dispatching people as fast as possible -- the art of Mauy Boran is straight off the battlefield - total no rules, no holds barred and the only gentlemanly thing about it is the unwritten rule of no kicking between the legs :)

so anything goes :) luuuuuurrrrrvely :) just that cos scotty won't have a clue what's coming next - combinations are wide and varied depending upon the area where your style comes from so i thought it best to make sure that scotty was gunna be ok before i let loose :):):)

massive thankyou's to RDX for their continued help and support :) nice one guys :):):)

Latest Discussions