Moving outside the box...

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Pleae give some more detain on the eight corner drill?

Just having a partner punch randomly at you from all angles, low/high hook punches, jab, cross, uppercut, stomach shot, back fist.
The 8 corners being your use of dai sau, tan sau, pak sau, chit sau (or gan sau)/jum sau, etc.
You drill this with contant spontaneous attack upon you by your partner. Like what you said your Sifu does to you with your back against a wall and doesn't allow you to bridge. Punching randomly at you from a distance.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well the video was just some vid I came across that showed that some boxing techniques done slowly. But your right the guy throwing the punches is not a real boxer. Its impression of what he think a boxers punches look like.

But still it shows how one should train against boxing strikes to be prepared!

That would be a classical ("in the box thinking") WT/WC response, and yes, if it's a hard, close hook to the ribs that slips right over your tan, it's damn near impossible to counter with either a tan or bong. The best bet, using classical technique, is to beat them with a straight-line punch, so they never get in where they can deliver a tight, hooking rib-shot.

And, Yoshi, thanks for the clip. But in all honesty, the long, slow arcs they were demonstrating in the video are easy to counter with gaun-sau, tan-sau, and so forth. A real boxer would not use anything so clumsy, so don't be fooled.

Anyway, my main point in that last post was not to try and clarify a specific technique or counter. I was just pointing out that it's really impossible to get very far beyond the basics with a verbal or written discussion of WT/WC. It has to be felt.

In other words, nobody ever learned Kung-fu from reading some secret "Dragon Warrior Scroll". The Panda taught us that!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
The best bet, using classical technique, is to beat them with a straight-line punch, so they never get in where they can deliver a tight, hooking rib-shot.

Very true , an aggressive response is always better than a passive one .

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mook jong man give an example of a passive response?

Well I would say that my instinctive classical response to turn away the force with a low Bong Sau could probably be classed as passive .

Because even though I can follow it up with a latch and side slash to the throat at great speed it still takes two movements .

Which is not as efficient and aggressive as Geezer's response with a simple centreline punch , which epitomises the Wing Chun concept of Lin Sil Die Dar or simultaneous counter -attack , something we should always strive to do when ever possible .

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What about Pak da or Tan Da?

Well I would say that my instinctive classical response to turn away the force with a low Bong Sau could probably be classed as passive .

Because even though I can follow it up with a latch and side slash to the throat at great speed it still takes two movements .

Which is not as efficient and aggressive as Geezer's response with a simple centreline punch , which epitomises the Wing Chun concept of Lin Sil Die Dar or simultaneous counter -attack , something we should always strive to do when ever possible .

Eru Ilúvatar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Pak da or a paking lan da(if you understan what I'm saying) so you control both hands while hitting sounds like it would work well in this situation if I understand it correctly.

Last edited:

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry is this question for me?

Eru Ilúvatar;1101299 said:
Pak da or a paking lan da(if you understan what I'm saying) so you control both hands while hitting sounds like it would work well in this situation if I understand it correctly.

Eru Ilúvatar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sorry is this question for me?

For anybody acctualy, becouse I made that term up, but it ilustrates the techniqe well. But I can explain it better if somebody wants. And acctualy instead of a pakking lan da, that wooden dummy retreating lan move would do well too. You could also grab instead of guide or pak the hand(I think Boztepe love doing that one in his Chi Sao vids). This have quite devastating follow ups too. Try it if it works for you! You just have to keep contact with hes tan hand while going from fok to lan so he doesn't go threw on that side.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like some pretty good Strategies. I would have to see it to completely get the giest of you mean though....

Eru Ilúvatar;1101715 said:
For anybody acctualy, becouse I made that term up, but it ilustrates the techniqe well. But I can explain it better if somebody wants. And acctualy instead of a pakking lan da, that wooden dummy retreating lan move would do well too. You could also grab instead of guide or pak the hand(I think Boztepe love doing that one in his Chi Sao vids). This have quite devastating follow ups too. Try it if it works for you! You just have to keep contact with hes tan hand while going from fok to lan so he doesn't go threw on that side.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The problem is alot of people have different dialects or different wording for the techniques in both english and cantonese so that kinda of makes it hard to explain...I try to use pictures to explain!

Eru Ilúvatar;1105514 said:
Yea, guess Geezer was right. It's near impossible to explain techniques on the forum.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats the truth...Having a good teacher is first and foremost. But sharing ideas with others outside your school or ring of WC brothers and sisters may pose diffcult because the dialect of my Sifu may differ from that of your Sifu. So we have different terminology. One my say Jut sao and other say jet sau...But they both mean the same thing right?

So it can be confusing. I mean I say Wing Chun and you Say Wing Tsun and another person says Weng Chun and another person Ving Tsun and another person says Ving Tzun and others still say Yong Chun?

All very confusing what do you think?

What you need is a good teacher.....