When Practicing SNT....

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
...where should my MIND be? I've always been told to "concentrate completely on the movements", but what exactly does that mean? Am I to focus solely on the technical applications of each movement, or should I focus on creating energy, rooting and relaxing during each action? I've done some research and got sooo many different answers!

Please help!

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
it seems to me as a beginner that i have to lose myself in all of the above.

how correct technically the movement is- positioning/energy and is my stance effective /is my breathing right/am i relaxed tense at the correct time.
so many things to think aboutall at the same time-not easy for an olg fart like me
isnt this why so many students ,even advanced say they are never happy with their first form?

i have my good days i have my bad lol.

matsu

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a rule I try not to think about technical application of the movements, because WT, WC etc is not technique based but principle based. If I think of a movement being a certain thing then I become tunnel visioned and limit myself to other options.
So instead I think of making each movement as technically correct as I can, ie proper structure, proper muscle usage, proper relaxation, and so on.

That said we will sometimes drill applications of the forms, stressing that these are only some representative ideas of how the various movements can be applied.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe (was taught) through repetition once you understand and have corrected your posture,applying tension in the lower half relaxing the upper body.....slow one tan,three fook,smooth transitional movements with no break between movements you should not have to think of anything at all,that is why the first form is also referred to as part meditation. anybody else?

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I try to practice Sil Lim Tao ten times a day. If not try it Three times.

First time focus on the movements(Accuracy and Technique)

Second time Applications with the image of Foe in front of you?

Third time focus on Chi traveling from the Dan Tien to limbs

Fourth Time focus on Rooting

Fifth time Focus on Relaxing

Sixth time use all your strength

Seventh time practice with Softness

Eight time practice real slow

Ninth time practice as fast as you can

Tenth time focus on nothing.(Clear Mind)

This should help your understanding for fighting with the techniques of SLT. Also sometimes when you have a friend to practice with break down each move an try to apply them to different attacks and defenses. Make up drills using parts of Sil Lim Tao. If you have not progress to that level yet asked your sifu or sihing for drills with Sil Lim Tao. Practice using it in Both a Chi Sau and San Shou setting. Than after a couple months also incorporate the moves in free sparring or light sparring. This will improve your understanding and accuracy concerning the form?

...where should my MIND be? I've always been told to "concentrate completely on the movements", but what exactly does that mean? Am I to focus solely on the technical applications of each movement, or should I focus on creating energy, rooting and relaxing during each action? I've done some research and got sooo many different answers!

Please help!

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
you have been a very busy bee yosh, lots of input on lots of posts.

and this one has been particularly helpful
so please continue to contribute

many thanks
matsu

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Please help!

If I may, there is a book, titled "The Unfettered Mind", writings from a zen master to a master swordsman. There are many styles and many techniques, within them also. The one constant in all different MA is the question of mind and it’s relationship to the body. Get the book, read and enjoy.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Todah Rabah.

Thankyou very much Matsu. I glad to so welcome to this forum. Everyone is very friendly and I love sharing information. I share alot of Info that my Sifu has taught me over the years. Mainly because I am going to read alot of your post and take alot of your ideas to make Wing Chun progress even further. Alot of things you guys do I have already experience. But there are some things that I either forgot about or that wasn't taught. Like for instance some things that we as westerners do May have not been taught in Wing Chun class. But I will definite try certain things I feel that will be advantage to my Gung Fu. For example, A Sihing once told me that Juicing Fruits and Veggies along with vitamin supplements will also aide in your endeavor to increase you Martial Skills. This is something so simple and easy. Thats not a real drastic budget hindering to adapt. Now although my Sifu didn't teach me about vitamins and juicing it doesn't mean that its wrong to adapt.

You guys on here have alot of great ideas on how to improve ones Phyiscal Strength, Stamina and Health. So I am also picking your brains an taking what may work for me. Also some of your testimonies and stories also give me real insights to experienes I have not have. So I have no problem with sharing Information because there is a wealth of Knowledge among all of you that I can partake in.

Thanks again for making me feel welcome Matsu. I am really glad!

you have been a very busy bee yosh, lots of input on lots of posts.

and this one has been particularly helpful
so please continue to contribute

many thanks
matsu

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Shema Yisrael Yahuwah Eloheynu Echad Yahuwah

could you please enlighten me/us as to the translation yosh?

also.....Todah Rabah.
please?

i have read a lot more from you over the wkend.its been very interesting and educational.
matsu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Todah = Thanks or Thankyou

Rabah =Greatness or Very Much

As for my signature it is call to those who are Yisrael:

Here Israel Yahweh our Elohim is one Yahweh

could you please enlighten me/us as to the translation yosh?

also.....Todah Rabah.
please?

i have read a lot more from you over the wkend.its been very interesting and educational.
matsu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Matsu Thankyou for your kind words. I also enjoy your words of inspiration. You carry alot of Martial Wisdom I am glad to share the little things I have been taught in attempts to further grow and evolved my Wing Chun.

Latest Discussions