Moutpiece Question

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How many mouthpieces do you need?
I heard from some people who are experienced fighters that double mouthpieces are good for the professional fighters but if you are just sparring in a school you just need one mouthpiece which is the upper jaw one.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends. A double mouthpiece is harder to breath out of but offers more protection. I have only used a single but a mate of mine is fighting in a double this weekend. I will let you know how he gets on.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd say it depends on how hard you hit/get hit.
If you expect to be hit with a sledge hammer, a double seems prudent. We only did light/medium contact, the single mouth piece was really only to protect you from oopsies, as hits to the face where not 'legal'

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many mouthpieces do you need?
I heard from some people who are experienced fighters that double mouthpieces are good for the professional fighters but if you are just sparring in a school you just need one mouthpiece which is the upper jaw one.

For the majority of my training, I just used the typical $10 mouth guard that most schools sell, from Century. Recently, I bought this:
https://www.shockdoctor.com/double-nano-fight-mouthguard

I like this one, and haven't had any issues with it. Of course, as it's been said, it all depends on the level of contact that you're going to be facing. Personally, I'd rather spend the extra money and get something of a higher quality and that will offer more protection.

Roger Tyson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I always use one. I dont like the feeling of having too much in my mouth when sparring or fighting. I you buy a good piece and make sure that it is a perfect match for your mouth when molding it I dont think you need more. But it is probably a question of how your teeth is placed in your mouth. The teeth in my upper jaw is placed so my mouth piece covers my bottom teeth as long as I keep my mouth shut. If you have a little underbite it might be a different situation..

Latest Discussions