Most practiced Poomsae in the world

tkd1964

Green Belt
Reaction score
It would have to be TaeGu Il Chung since this is the first pattern learned. Even if a student only stays for a couple of weeks and quits, he/she should have gone through the pattern at least once.

taekwon!!
Mike

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on what limitations you place on the answer. If you mean only those used by KKW schools than it could be taegeuk il jang. If you mean all KMA then it might well be kicho il jang. Or palgwe il jang. Or chonji.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you're considering all pattern sets, it's may very well be Pyung Ahn Chodan or Pyung Ahn Ee-dan, considering you could also count all the karate-ka that run various versions of the Pinan/Heian kata.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
It would have to be TaeGu Il Chung since this is the first pattern learned. Even if a student only stays for a couple of weeks and quits, he/she should have gone through the pattern at least once.

taekwon!!
Mike
Yes, but imagine the repititions of a form by black belts who have trained much longer, thus a lot more reptitions. Imagine how many times some guy who has trained for 30 years has done the black belt forms. I dare say they have done the more involved forms more times because they are so much harder to learn to do correctly. Coloured belts can grade every three months in some clubs which means they get a form down in a shorter period. Some of the harder forms take years and years and heaps of repititions to get looking really good.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im gonna guess a slightly different angle - Four Directional Punch of Chon Ji.
Why?
For all the folks who try TKD then drop out.
Plus all the ones who kept it up, makes a huge number of people to have spent some time with either one of the two.
Its just an idea.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since the term "Poomse" is used the query would seem limited to KKW material.

If opened to all MAs, due to the sheer numbers (which we only see anecdotaly) I can't help but wonder if there aren't literaly 10s of millions in China practicing some Tai Chi form or whatever it is you see groups doing in the parks.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If by poomsae you mean Korean forms only, then by sheer numbers in practitioners would have Taeguk Il-jang as the most practiced. However, if you are referring general form practice, then it would be between Taeguk Il-jang and Wushu's Qing Nian Quan which is the first form learned in wushu I believe.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I kinda figure that since Hes called it Poomsae in the TKD Forum section, Hes probably referring to... Oh I dont know. Im not sure how one could draw anything from that :)

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I kinda figure that since Hes called it Poomsae in the TKD Forum section, Hes probably referring to... Oh I dont know. Im not sure how one could draw anything from that :)
Depends. I have a habit of saying kata when I am referring to forms regardless if I am referring to TKD or Karate or Wushu.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but imagine the repititions of a form by black belts who have trained much longer, thus a lot more reptitions. Imagine how many times some guy who has trained for 30 years has done the black belt forms. I dare say they have done the more involved forms more times because they are so much harder to learn to do correctly. Coloured belts can grade every three months in some clubs which means they get a form down in a shorter period. Some of the harder forms take years and years and heaps of repititions to get looking really good.

Boy good point either way but Ive been at it 40 years and still constantly teaching Tae Guk Il Jang due to so many beginners always starting and constant turn over due to extream weather and living conditions average 6-24 months before leaving town? Higher level bb forms Certainly Koryo due to teaching but personal practice all higher level bb forms 2-4 times a day 5 days a week?

Only way to acurately figure the above beyond opinion would have been to put a Padomiter on every ones hip that counts forms?

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

taekwon!!
Mike

I have to agree. It's the form we do the most because when we practice poomsae in our dojang (something we do almost daily) Il Jang is form done by everyone, save for white belt newcomers. We usually run through poomsae in each class to the highest level of the students in attendance. For example of if we have a mix of students from beginner to 3rd Dan, the class will perform Il Jang to Sipjin, with members dropping out when they reach one form above their current level. We do the same thing in our once-weekly blackbelt class.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would think Taegeuk Il Jang. As far as any type of form, I would guess whatever has been the most popular Tai Chi pattern in China has been over the years. After that, maybe Kicho/Kibon Cho Dan.

I think tai chi may have taekwondo beat, but I don't think the kibon beats out taeguek 1 jang for some reason. China alone probably has more taeguek 1 jang reps than the rest of the world combined (except korea). Taekwondo is incredibly popular in mainland china, so much so that many instructors from korea are now moving to China to teach, including but not limited to the current Jung Do Kwan Jang.