Most amazing sparring drill you will ever see on the face of the universe in your lifetime

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok.

This not an example of what we call sparring. It is a very good example of what our intermediate level students do before getting into full freestyle sparring.
The person attacking is simply going through the motion of punching. There is no real intent or pressure being applied. No off timing punching, no feints, no footwork, no body movement, no real counters or counter attacks. No this is not what we consider sparring but is good drilling.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok. This not an example of what we call sparring.

Furthermore, this is not "on the face of the universe". The universe is really big. This looks more like it's on a sidewalk or street scene in front of some retail businesses.

However, Marnetmar, I'll grant you "Amazing!" since that's a subjective term. Now, I personally didn't find it so amazing, but like I said, ...amazement is subjective. If you want to see an Amazing Drill check out the following:

Anyway, thanks for posting.

Last edited by a moderator:

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
that reminds me of a camp last weekend practicing push-hands (kung fu)

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
However, Marnetmar, I'll grant you "Amazing!" since that's a subjective term. Now, I personally didn't find it so amazing, but like I said, ...amazement is subjective. If you want to see an Amazing Drill check out the following:

LOL -- You got me on this one....that truly is an impressive drill....

OzPaul

Green Belt
Reaction score
It looked to me that the student in the mma gloves didn't want to hit his instructor which he could of numerous times. Then the student decided to just do some crap roll punches and apply no forward pressure.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
We call that light hand sparring , as an exercise it is quite good.
But not the way it is performed here , the student is basically being used as a wooden dummy.
I'd venture to say he's not getting much out of it , he's just getting hit a lot and has no idea why.

With such a disparity in the skill level , the instructor would be better off sparring him with one hand , at least that will provide a challenge to the instructor raising his own skill level and also giving the student a bit of a fighting chance to get a few of his own hits in.

By the way , that instructor is not fast , anyone who thinks that is quick has not seen real hand speed in Wing Chun.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We call that light hand sparring , as an exercise it is quite good.
But not the way it is performed here , the student is basically being used as a wooden dummy....

By the way , that instructor is not fast , anyone who thinks that is quick has not seen real hand speed in Wing Chun.

Yeah. Using the student as a "dummy" is OK for demos, but not much more. Here's a clip of my si-dei doing the same kind of thing. He has good speed. Honestly, I can't keep up with him.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah. Using the student as a "dummy" is OK for demos, but not much more. Here's a clip of my si-dei doing the same kind of thing. He has good speed. Honestly, I can't keep up with him.

1st - I have a question and by no means should this be taken as disrespect to you, your si-dei, or the student in this video.
2nd - You si-dei clearly has the speed and accuracy of your chosen MA.
3rd - perhaps i do not understand the drill.

Here is my observation.....The only difference I see in this video compared to the OP, is that the instructor/student appear to much more skilled. I understand the instructor dominated the student, but once the attack began the student did nothing. Not even the instinctive reaction to raise their arms to protect their vitals.

Is this drill to be the first to launch the attack? The beginning looks like a version of chi sau. Is the drill for the student to detect/feel the attack?

A little confused by the lack of defense. Understand the instructor was all over them, but I still would have thought there would be more than the student gave.

Obviously, i am missing the drills intent.....just asking for some education....

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yes , he is fast and very relaxed.
When you are struggling to see the individual techniques then you know they truly are fast.
I bet he's probably faster in real life , I think Wing Chun tends to look slower on video for some reason , when I've filmed students their punches looked slower playing them back than when I stood there watching them with my own eyes.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score

As Mook had pointed out, it's a drill ... the student got nothing out of it but the short end of the stick.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Again, no offense ment. Just trying to understand.

But I do not see what the instructor gets out of this drill? Using a BOB gets you the same result. No need for a live opponent, unless of course I am missing something, which is very possible. Thus my questions.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
1st - I have a question and by no means should this be taken as disrespect to you, your si-dei, or the student in this video.
2nd - You si-dei clearly has the speed and accuracy of your chosen MA.
3rd - perhaps i do not understand the drill.

Here is my observation.....The only difference I see in this video compared to the OP, is that the instructor/student appear to much more skilled. I understand the instructor dominated the student, but once the attack began the student did nothing. Not even the instinctive reaction to raise their arms to protect their vitals.

Is this drill to be the first to launch the attack? The beginning looks like a version of chi sau. Is the drill for the student to detect/feel the attack?

A little confused by the lack of defense. Understand the instructor was all over them, but I still would have thought there would be more than the student gave.

Obviously, i am missing the drills intent.....just asking for some education....

I'll educate you.
It's a safety thing , at that speed it is pretty dangerous.
The instructor can judge the correct distance for his strikes without injuring the student if the student just drops his hands and keeps his body still.

But if the student were to raise his hands and offer resistance then the instructor would commence trapping.

Wing Chun trapping works by drawing the opponent into the strikes , so you would see that students head and neck getting pulled directly into some very high velocity strikes.
Much safer to have him keep his head and neck intact by just letting him drop his arms.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks.

I understand the drill. I do similar but not on a live person, but rather on a BOB/Bag. I perform them at varying strike depths to work on control/focus/feel.

My confusion came from the beginning of the drill where the attack intiated from a "Chi Sau-like" drill. I wasnt sure why in the beginning the student was defending in chi sau, and in the end became a practice target.

I appreciate the explanation. Thanks.....

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks.

I understand the drill. I do similar but not on a live person, but rather on a BOB/Bag. I perform them at varying strike depths to work on control/focus/feel.
QUOTE]

Eddie, you are absolutely correct. The clip I posted was not a drill , but rather the instructor demonstrating what some sequences of techniques would look like as you sped them up. The student was basically just being a "dummy" (like a "BOB") but starting from a chi-sau position then dropping his arms away. He then kept his arms down and did not resist for the reasons Mook discussed.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks.

My confusion came from the beginning of the drill where the attack intiated from a "Chi Sau-like" drill. I wasnt sure why in the beginning the student was defending in chi sau, and in the end became a practice target.

I appreciate the explanation. Thanks.....

You could do it on a Bob , but in Wing Chun ,wooden dummies and wall bags are our training apparatus of choice , we are a bit old school that way.

Just to clear up the bit about the chi sau , the student wasn't defending , they were just rolling to begin with.
From that rolling position the instructor could have started trapping and striking , but probably for reasons of safety the student decided to drop his hands.

Judging by the hand speed the student wouldn't of had a hope of countering the trapping anyway and would of just heightened the chances of him getting hit.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
BY the way.

You loose the safety aspect of the gloves if you don't close your hands when you punch. It just turns into a series of eyegouges.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
BY the way.

You loose the safety aspect of the gloves if you don't close your hands when you punch. It just turns into a series of eyegouges.

I don't believe he was wearing them for the safety aspect.
The fact that the only technique he knew was rather weak counter punching, tells me he hasn't been at this long.

He's still a newbie with rather tender wrists and he was trying to protect his yet to be fully conditioned wrists against the inevitable clashes that newbies sustain when counterpunching.

Latest Discussions