More Wing Chun Boxing!

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can actually find these elements used by high level boxers if you know where to look. The difference is that
  • these methods are not normally taught as basics, but are rather used by individual boxers as part of their personal style
  • these methods are not used in isolation, but are blended in with all the standard boxing tools as necessary
Learning WT actually helped me understand what certain boxers were doing that appeared to "break the rules" that I learned in boxing and why they were able to get away with doing so.

This subject reminds me of a post I've been meaning to make for a while, about how the technical differences between the personal styles of individual high-level boxers (including world champions) can sometimes be greater than the difference between two randomly selected styles of Karate or even between some related styles of CMA. Despite that, no one tries to claim that (for example) Mike Tyson and Mohammed Ali were practicing different martial arts. Maybe I'll get around to making that post later today.
I don't know of any boxers that stay off their lead leg when they throw coming forward. Not saying they don't exist, but I can't think of an example.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I worked on some more Wing Chun Boxing lessons today!

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here are some more San Sik set to video lesson for you all!

This first one is a very important and "deep" set from Ku Lo Wing Chun. It is one of the primary San Sik at level 3.

This one is related to the previous set and is the origin of "Cup Da Sau" from a prior lesson.

I consider this one a "minor" set from level 3 and don't use it much. But is something not found in Ip Man Wing Chun and therefore not seen very often!

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
@KPM what do you think of using a style similar to George Foreman? Pawing extended arms at the front door. Swallowing, controlling, then smashing attacks in within that control. Of course, strength like Foreman would help haha. But could structure be used to replace that strength in WC Boxing? I know you've been working with a boxing engine, but was curious of your thoughts

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I made another set of lessons today. Comments are welcome!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I made another set of lessons today. Comments are welcome!

I like your training tool. It's good to be used to train "stay in the same door", or "switch between doors". Did you design that yourself?

I also like your "single switching hand" training. I used to like the linear approach. But I like the circular approach better. IMO, the circular approach (used to stay in the same door) is faster than the linear approach (used to switch between doors).

No matter how fast that you can do with your linear approach, you have to strike out and then pull it back. But if you use the circular approach, it can be as simple as 3 small circles that flow out smoothly one after another.

Last edited:

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Drag step - front foot step in, back foot follow.

Do you think WC power generation coordinate punch with

- front foot landing, or
- back foot landing?

I find just before the lead foot lands maximizes my transfer. Also a rotation in air off that lead ball with my hip extending toward the opponent.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
@KPM what do you think of using a style similar to George Foreman? Pawing extended arms at the front door. Swallowing, controlling, then smashing attacks in within that control. Of course, strength like Foreman would help haha. But could structure be used to replace that strength in WC Boxing? I know you've been working with a boxing engine, but was curious of your thoughts

Foreman, like Archie Moore before him, made heavy use of the "cross arm defense"....holding his forearms up in front like a double Lan Sau as a shield. Then sucking opponents in close like you noted. I do think this can work in WC Boxing with more structure than strength. Against a stronger opponent, you can actually use the Lan Sau not only to create space, but to "bounce away" from the opponent if you are getting overwhelmed. And the cross arm block flows easily into Skull & Crossbones or the Philly Shell. It is definitely a viable structure to work from in close.

macher

Green Belt
Reaction score

Foreman used that pawing to push his opponent away and / or to create space. He did that against Frazier.

Reactions: KPM

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Foreman used that pawing to push his opponent away and / or to create space. He did that against Frazier.
That he did. I always liked his style. He would really smother the best boxers in the world and just blast em

Poppity

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi KPM,

just saw this thread... are you combining modern boxing or older boxing?

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi KPM,

just saw this thread... are you combining modern boxing or older boxing?

Modern boxing. Although I did do a video series a few years back showing how similar the old school boxing was to Wing Chun and how they can go together.

But I think modern boxing and Wing Chun makes a more viable and better fighting method.