What type of Wing Chun is this?

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What type of Wing Chun is this?

This appears some kind of new modern Wing Chun or Wing Tsun?

Wing Chun does teach takedowns and off-balancing but from my understanding it is not emphasized and 90% time you will not be using it.

This video appears some kind of new modern Wing Chun or Wing Tsun? They seem to be really big on takedowns.

Also the hand movements are faster and bit different.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wing Chun does teach takedowns and off-balancing but from my understanding it is not emphasized and 90% time you will not be using it.This video appears some kind of new modern Wing Chun or Wing Tsun? They seem to be really big on takedowns.
Also the hand movements are faster and bit different.

Hmmm Couldn't get too much online except a Facebook page. Anyway it looks to me pretty much like a lot of the European WT groups. And considering the distinctive spelling: Wing Tsun, I'd say it's either directly connected with the European branches of Leung Ting's WT, or a direct offshoot.

As far as the demo shown, if it looks different from typical chi-sau that's because it's not chi-sau. Each sequence starts with the standard EWTO style lat-sau drill using a fast pak-da cycle with leads into all the other variations shown. The sweeps and throws are all taught in WT, and, as you observed, some of the European groups really put a lot of emphasis on speed (even at the expense pf functionality IMO) ...but it makes for a flashy demo. And I'd say the girl does a pretty darn good job for being just 15 :)

In short, nothing all that new or different from stuff that's been out there for a good while.

Here a couple of other versions of the WT lat-sau or lat sao drills I found on line:

BTW I use some similar lat-sau training in my classes. My old sifu LT didn't do so much of this kind of stuff, but the head of the association I now belong to also trained in Europe in the EWTO and found it to be of value ...as did Emin Boztepe who taught similar drills to our group before starting his own EBMAS organization. Emin, however changed the pak-da cycle into 100% punching. Very aggressive and IMO very practical.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions