10.5 KB · Views: 108
OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by rmcrobertson

I don't know if this'll help, but in the kneel stances there shouldn't be a great deal of pressure on your knees. Is it that you've problems with flexing them?

One thing I'd suggests, if it helps, is that you check your posture--maybe even turn sideways to a mirror to see whether your back's straight and your chin is up. Also, maybe, look to seee if the upper body's being held rigidly. Mostly, it's been my (limited, admittedly) experience that students having trouble with the kneels are a) slumping with their chin down, b) tightening the upper torso a lot.

Again, I don't know if this is even the problem. But I'm 49, I have mildly-arthritic knees on X-ray (running down hills in grad school, I suspect), and my right knee has improved drastically since kenpo. And I hit pretty low stances, having been taught them by a woman who did a lot of ballet and is a foot shorter than I am. Just in case the weight distribution is the issue, try: for a right closed kneel, put your weight on the leading edge of the right foot and "pull" your hips forward a bit; the left thigh should be tensed. For a right wide kneel, just turn the knee out of course, but keep the left thigh tensed and the weight on the forward edge of the right foot.

Oh, one other thing. I avoid jumping kicks of any kind--and throughout late brown belt, I had intermittent problems with sore knees and heels that came from what appeared to be my love of stomping. It came to be my impression that brown belts love stomping--any chance that this, or landing jumping kicks on stiffened rather than bent knees, or lifting your feet off the mat in kata, is the problem?

Anyway, hope this helps. It's the pits when you're at the movies, or driving, and your knees start aching.

Robert,
Thank you for your input.. :) My right knee is the naughty one.. not sure what's with it.. but going into any kind of deep stance bending it.. even a deep horse it hurts like all get out.. and oh yeah.. sitting in a cars back seat.. I'm in misery as I am at the movie theater too.. ~!
I'll give your suggestions a try~! This getting old is for the birds~! Ha ~!

Have a good safe one~
Tess

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by big351stang

poke poke poke

oh and by the way poke.

hey any time you ask for your APD i bring it. do it not???

whats this needing a person to work w/ were am i durring all this. oh wait thats right im there too, im the one beside you that cant figure this out.

whats wrong w/ the jump spinning kicks i like them just fine thank you very much.

Pete my be an old man but he is on w/ a lot of spunk. my hats off to you!

Poke poke poke and oh yeah another POKE~! Hahaa yeah Bill.. you are the best partner I could ask for :)) *g* You do bring me my APD ~!!

and I wasn't referring to having a partner.. duh.. you and I need our own Uki's to play with.. silly.. ones we can cart around with us hahaaa..

umm you know me.. Jump any kicks.. pffts.. and well since I have you.. why should I even attempt them~!! *chuckles*

and and hey wait a Minute.. what's this Old Man stuff with Pete.. Pssssst Bill.. Pete's a year younger than I am~!!!! *grrrrrrs*
:)

oh btw.. POKE~!

B

big351stang

hey someone else called him an old man i didnt start that i was taking up for him. and who said your older that him.
our Uki's do suck dont they. they are wimps. we need some good high quality mail order Uki's we will just get rid of the ones we have :flushed:

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Seig

After all, why is it that dogs are man best freind and women get diamonds?:D

Not to worry, diamonds fall in value, and the market is gutted with them. Dogs, never lose value, they don't talk back, are unconditional in acceptance, and never hog the checkbook!:D

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

hey someone else called him an old man i didnt start that i was taking up for him. and who said your older that him.
our Uki's do suck dont they. they are wimps. we need some good high quality mail order Uki's we will just get rid of the ones we have :flushed:

Hahaaa well He is a year younger than I am~!! So guess when I did the math. (ruhoh) I figured out I'm elder~! *snickers*

Yeah . high quality Mail order Ukis.. none of these blow up dolls.. *chuckles *

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by KenpoTess

Nothing like staring into the den of the tiger.. :)

Poor Seig, I wonder what it's like to live in terror, day in, day out?:eek:

R

rmcrobertson

Kenpotess:

I forgot one other thing. One of my students, who's an MD, suggested that I throw down a fistful of Advil BEFORE working out--aspirin's an anticoagulant, and tylenol associated with liver problems, apparently--the logic being that the anti-inflammatory would mean that I wouldn't be stressing/slapping an already-inflamed joint, which would only increase the injury. My regular doctor confirmed this, and it does seem to hellp a lot--so you might check with your doc, and try it.

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo

Poor Seig, I wonder what it's like to live in terror, day in, day out?:eek:

You're just cruising Ricardo~!!!

Seig's slumbering like a lamb right now.. or bear more aptly ~!
I better not go where I'm tempted to.. :rofl:

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by rmcrobertson

Kenpotess:

I forgot one other thing. One of my students, who's an MD, suggested that I throw down a fistful of Advil BEFORE working out--aspirin's an anticoagulant, and tylenol associated with liver problems, apparently--the logic being that the anti-inflammatory would mean that I wouldn't be stressing/slapping an already-inflamed joint, which would only increase the injury. My regular doctor confirmed this, and it does seem to hellp a lot--so you might check with your doc, and try it.

Funny you should mention that Robert, I tend to swallow a few excedrin before class and when I forget to, I do notice I'm much tighter after classes.. than when I take them.. and also my knee doesn't bother me as much when I do .. Thanks~!!!
any little bit helps~!!

Tess

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by KenpoTess

You're just cruising Ricardo~!!!

Seig's slumbering like a lamb right now.. or bear more aptly ~!
I better not go where I'm tempted to.. :rofl:

Yep, never tick off a bear before he finishes with his nap, or his meal!:soapbox:

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yep, never tick off a bear before he finishes with his nap, or his meal!:soapbox:

seems to me. .you guys just love to sidle around the real topic.. Hahaa.. and I'm not talking Long 4 anymore.. Thanks to Dennis. :))

Fine.. you San Dan's stick together.. Me and my little self will go sit in the corner :(

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV

Hey, I could look at those all day!:cool:
Mine!:mad: :samurai: :armed: :jedi1: :biggun: :zap: :2pistols: :mp5: :bazook: :apv: :bomb: :teleport: :shock: :shotgun: :rockets: :lasma: :ripper: :snipe2: :machgunr: :daf: :snipe: :enfo: :shooter: :ak47: :sig: :tank:
The Hit Man

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

"our Uki's do suck dont they. they are wimps. we need some good high quality mail order Uki's we will just get rid of the ones we have"

Hey now...I offered Alex plenty of times to be Uki...you just don't beat on him enough. I'll admit I'm a wimp, I hate to be the Uki and poor Chad, I think I'm driving him nutty. I keep falling in an indian style instead of face down (not purposely though, promise). If ya want an Uki have Alex, really I don't think he'll be missed too much at home. He He!!! Plus we're working on our techs. just like you are...who says we don't need a few good Uki's too. :rolleyes:

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Seig

Mine!:mad: :samurai: :armed: :jedi1: :biggun: :zap: :2pistols: :mp5: :bazook: :apv: :bomb: :teleport: :shock: :shotgun: :rockets: :lasma: :ripper: :snipe2: :machgunr: :daf: :snipe: :enfo: :shooter: :ak47: :sig: :tank:
The Hit Man

I bow to you!:asian:

I would never infuriate the Hit Man!:eek:

B

big351stang

Blow up dolls who got those. You hiding something from me? :roflmao: never mind i dont want to know.

Alex who ever said he was a good Uki. Ive never said that. Fun to beat on but never a good Uki. Besides his beatings are going to get harder her soon if things dont change, :wah: :hammer: and hes not going to be able to Uki for anyone. You under belts have to grab one of the belts lower that you and make them Uki for you. If they are no good well you msut teach them, the way i was tought. the hard way.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV

Blow up dolls who got those. You hiding something from me? :roflmao: never mind i dont want to know.

Alex who ever said he was a good Uki. Ive never said that. Fun to beat on but never a good Uki. Besides his beatings are going to get harder her soon if things dont change, :wah: :hammer: and hes not going to be able to Uki for anyone. You under belts have to grab one of the belts lower that you and make them Uki for you. If they are no good well you msut teach them, the way i was tought. the hard way.
Until morale improves, the beatings will continue!:EG:

Latest Discussions