Modern "Warrior" Ethics

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
Karushi said:
Having a semi-automatic, 9mm pistol shoved in my face.
Sucks eh?
My first reaction to it was along the lines of "don't let me piss myself". Then I wondered who would feed my dog. Then I wondered if I would feel it, considering in my case, it was pressed against my ribs and would have at best shattered my spine and blasted a hole through a lung. Then I wet myself. The worse part was standing there, pants soaked, wondering if it was safe to move yet after the SOB left.

No macho here. It scared the piss outta me.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
Karushi said:
Yes you should think about it sometime, look at yourself.

Ever hear of the word, "hypocrite"?
Ever heard about "respect for ones elders"?

The guy your talking smack to is a cop. He's most likely faced worse situations than you can dream of. I don't happen to like him, but I will give him serious props for doing a job I couldn't do. You might stop moving the fingers and open the mind a bit more. The discussion is on "Warrior Ethics", and I don't know anyone in our society today more worthy of being called a "Warrior" than those men and women in uniform (police, military, even fire/rescue) who face danger every day.

K

Karushi

Bester said:
Ever heard about "respect for ones elders"?

The guy your talking smack to is a cop. He's most likely faced worse situations than you can dream of. I don't happen to like him, but I will give him serious props for doing a job I couldn't do. You might stop moving the fingers and open the mind a bit more. The discussion is on "Warrior Ethics", and I don't know anyone in our society today more worthy of being called a "Warrior" than those men and women in uniform (police, military, even fire/rescue) who face danger every day.
Yes I realize this man is a cop. And I also give him the respect that he is putting his life on the line daily, but in retrospect he has done nothing but insult me since I got here and has called me a child and I find calling someone names is rather childish.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When did calling a child...a child..become "name calling"?

BTW Bester...:asian:

And besides the words we had on the Bram thread Ive never had an issue with anything else Ive seen from you on ths board....Ive had worse with other people here and am currently on "friendly terms" with most of them. As most of us only know each other based on words on a screen, I try not to hold too big of a grudge based on it. What happens in "real life"...thats a different story.

The way I see it...In a martial arts forum, talking about the stuff we do, a little verbal roughhousing should be nothing to be afraid of. If we cant shake hands afterwards, at least we can still give a "nod" to each other every once and a while.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Karushi said:
Yes you should think about it sometime, look at yourself.

Ever hear of the word, "hypocrite"?
Ever heard of the word "sudiferious" Hmm?
Seriously Pup, don't say stupid **** and you won't be called stupid. T-gace is a cop. In some ways he is a target ever day. While you're dancing your way out of fights, he is called in to go where most people would not.

First rule of Warrior Ethos
1.) Keep your mouth shut, ears open

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hell..I could care less about personal "respect". Im used to being called all sorts of things ;). All I can hope for is that the kid follows The Kai's first rule. Maybe he will actually learn something here instead of trying to "teach" us a few things.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys-

I'd just like to say 2 things.

1- :feedtroll

2- Lets get back to the main topic.

Oh...one more thing:

:feedtroll

Mike :ultracool

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Karushi said:
Yes I realize this man is a cop. And I also give him the respect that he is putting his life on the line daily, but in retrospect he has done nothing but insult me since I got here and has called me a child and I find calling someone names is rather childish.

There is an ignore feature on everyones profile. Feel free to use it if you dont want to hear from someone!!!!

Mike

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Those are some of the "classics" that influenced various "Warrior Philosophies".....I note that there was much more concern about honor, "face", courage in the face of death vs. any real concern over when or if force should be used. What do you think is the place of these various writings in our modern definition?

R

rupton

Tgace said:
Those are some of the "classics" that influenced various "Warrior Philosophies".....I note that there was much more concern about honor, "face", courage in the face of death vs. any real concern over when or if force should be used. What do you think is the place of these various writings in our modern definition?
Hmmm, that's a really good question. I admit that I am a little myopic in my own views of bushido and how they apply to me personally. But I will say back in the mid-nineties I remember seeing titles like "The Art of War" and "The Book of Five Rings" remade with emphases on and the context of the business world. I thought that was very interesting :) I also remember in the late eighties and early nineties there was that whole "Business is war" mentality which I think spawned a lot of works like I mentioned above. So maybe the answer lies there? Seriously though I do think a lot of these ideas, while some are outdated, certainly have relevance in this day and age to the average citizen, militant or not.

Latest Discussions