Modern "Warrior" Ethics

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What experience/knowledge do you base that on kid?

R

rupton

Karushi said:
Your ethics mean nothing when that first bullet flies over your head. All of that crap goes out the window and it comes down to kill or be killed.
Well, speaking as someone who has had live fire over their head (even if by accident, but that's a different story :) )I can tell you that you don't think a whole lot of anything, let alone ethics, morality or even kill or be killed. You don't think a whole lot of anything except, oh **** how do I make myself small enough to fit under that rock over there :) I would like to hear your thoughts on what YOU did when "bullet flies over your head."

R

rupton

Karushi said:
Nope, I'm not old enough for the military. But now that I think of it, not so much when the bullets are flying but more when you're staring down the barrel it is hard to think of "what Jesus would do" so ethics are not a factor.
Well, then disregard my last post to you then, sheesh, not even old enough for the military and making statements like that ;-)

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When one is in a situation where one can say "I'm probably going to die out here" and then one continues to will themselves to action because of their duty or service...that is a powerful ethic. If it just went away as soon as the danger started, then one couldn't will themselves to continue.

In 1997 they had what is called a 500 year flood in the Red River Valley of MN. The water had risen 40 feet above flood stage and was still rising. Voluteers, including myself, stood on the levees sandbagging, even after they began to cravasse. If the levee broke under anyone's feet, it was probably instant death. Yet, every minute the flood waters stayed back was an extra minute that gave East Grand Forks time to evacuate. The levees broke that day and the city was flooded. Yet, I think that ethic at least saved some lives.

I wouldn't be so quick to trivialize the power of ethics...

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think it is the marginization of personal ethics that messes us up. The company we work for is dumping toxic waste, well i just work here I don't write policy. The church priest is molesting my neightbor's kid, well, for the greater good I'll shut up about it.

Will you do what you say you will??
Do you know the difference between right and wrong?
I have no military background so Personally if a bullet flies over my head i think "How will i get that out my shorts??"

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Warrior Creed
[font=verdana,Arial]by Robert L. Humphrey
[/font](Iwo Jima Marine &
Bujinkan 10th Dan)
[font=verdana,Arial]

[font=verdana,Arial]Wherever I go,
everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.

Wherever I am,
anyone in need has a friend.

Whenever I return home,
everyone is happy I am there.

"It's a better life!"
[/font]
[/font]

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I thought of a new poll to get at some of the ideas I was trying to get at...​

Check this thread out.​

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
The Warrior Creed
[font=verdana,Arial]by Robert L. Humphrey
[/font](Iwo Jima Marine &
Bujinkan 10th Dan)
[font=verdana,Arial]

[font=verdana,Arial]Wherever I go,
everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.

Wherever I am,
anyone in need has a friend.

Whenever I return home,
everyone is happy I am there.

"It's a better life!"
[/font]
[/font]

I was thinking of posting that. I like it. That is part of what my idea of a warrior comes from.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Karushi said:
Having a semi-automatic, 9mm pistol shoved in my face.
Really? See, I've been on the business end of a gun myself and the very first thing I was aware of was my faith in God.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmm...some youngster who in his first few posts is asking about if he should fight some other kid for "possession" of his girlfriend now offering his expert advice regarding "life under the gun"....theres been a rash of wierd whitebelt posters here lately.

My ignore button trigger finger is itchin.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... yeah, something's rotten in Denmark ...

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Back on track now...

What is it about being a "Warrior" that attracts so many (mostly) guys? You see it used in the military, LE and emergency responder circles as well as sports. When did it become not enough to be proud of the title "Soldier", "Officer", and so on? Is it the whole "individualism" thing? Or is it a legitimate title to use in our times to define say, a soldier who "lives and breathes the profession" vs. a kid who just enlisted for the college money, does what he has to to get by, and gets out at the first opportunity? Or the Cop who studies law, pays for his own firearms training and studies MA all to become better at his profession vs. the "ticket puncher" who is just counting the days till retirement.

Is there a need in todays society for this sort of title differentiation? Is it just worthless ego boosting or a valuable "morale booster"?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is an attractive term to use. One envisions a knowledgable, powerfull individual. Under the New Age redefinition the Warrior now is autonamas (sp?), and outside of society pull (which is of course B.S.)

Here is my experience with the misnomer that is warrior. My Ex Wife was into pharmaceutical sales. So one night I am at a dinner function with the Dr's. Floating through the conversation, I am here of the "Warrior Weekend". "Wow", I thought cuz I did'nt expect to hear of hard core training amongst this cliche. What I found out was totally expensive (beyond what most Martial Arts types would even consider paying)
Hardships include:
Giving up cell phone
giving up pager

Highlights included of course the obligatory Drum Circle
Not my idea of a warrior, but a lot of fat, seeking manly validation Dr's pay thru the nose
How would they compare with the Warriors of today or yesterday?
I think most people who ascribe to the New Age definition of a Warrior would be a tad surprised if they could meet thier "Idols"

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
True...at least the athlete "warriors" learn more of their capabilities and limitations through the crucible of physical training, pushing their physical and emotional limits and pain. The classical standards, minus killing and dying.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is'nt that the definition of a athlete??

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
True. In the classic model, athleticism and "martialism" are closely related (the Greek model). Im of the opinion that those who fancy themselves as following "warrior ways" should be out there doing more than just MA in the athleticism vein. Running, lifting, climbing, some sort of physical activity that pushes ones limits to the point where you want to stop but can make yourself continue.

K

Karushi

Tgace said:
Hmmm...some youngster who in his first few posts is asking about if he should fight some other kid for "possession" of his girlfriend now offering his expert advice regarding "life under the gun"....theres been a rash of wierd whitebelt posters here lately.

My ignore button trigger finger is itchin.
Thank you for insulting me again... Do you get off on it?

K

Karushi

Yes you should think about it sometime, look at yourself.

Ever hear of the word, "hypocrite"?