Thoughts on the nature and boundaries of martial arts - split from Training Log

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think this is assumed but not necessarily automatic. I also think most folks here are looking at it from their own personal experience perspective and not as the whole body of people competing. With the exception of people who enjoy and want to get into competition (hand raised) one of the best things tournaments do is expose weaknesses in a persons training. This tangible discovery builds some incredible bridges in the noodle and several times I have seen the 'ah ha' moment in people. Completely changes their mentality in training.
This does not occur as fast or as often in younger students but there are still more positives than negatives.

And again, with the exception of adults in the near no holds barred competitions, it is still a rules bound competition with all kinds of safeties in place (referees and such).

Looking forward, I am concerned that tournaments for younger folks will come under fire at least for certain rulesets. Particularly for striking styles.
Say what you want about it but WT tournaments have some of the most devastating knockouts of any competitive style. Period. There is not a ton of control or ways to limit this mainly because of the nature of the fighting style and what scores. Take a 30-50 pound leg moving rotationally at 40-50 mph tip speed spinning 3 feet away from it's axis and you have a massive centrifugal force. (F=mv²/r) of about about 8,000 newton meters! Take that to the chin/temple full on and it is a lick; even with padding (as me how I know). These number are very average for upper level/age competitors.
Naturally, padding is required but if a lot of younger kids keep getting tagged and going down it is logical to think it will create a stink.
On the other end of the spectrum are the tippy-tappy tournaments. Mentally, they do offer value to folks in things like breaking the ice for performing in front of others, fellowship, etc... Setting forms aside for a moment, while there is usually a combination of aerobic/anaerobic action, which is a good thing, there is little to no sensory based fear of contact or injury. So I am not convinced these tournaments have any kind of value relative to our discussion.
To be clear that have a Ton of value, just not in this discussion.

So like martial arts all competitions are not created equal?

But yeah. Grappling is probably healthier for kids.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No it is a universal factor. If you compete you will be better more quickly at that thing than if you don't.

And there is a stark delineation between people who compete and people who don't.
I can’t fully agree. I have seen kids (and a few adults) who were so crushed by their tournament experience that they never came back to class.
It is not for everyone.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So like martial arts all competitions are not created equal?

But yeah. Grappling is probably healthier for kids.
Yes, that is what I described, but that you twisted it into all other tournaments suck is just weird and incorrect.