MMA & the Olympics

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'd be surprised at how fast a national org would spout up if it were to be added to the Olympics. GB would have a team in there. I would bet dimes to dollars. Someone would do it.

Perhaps but it wouldn't be done by the current people in British MMA. I think a TMA group would grab it and run with it, good luck to them lol!

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps but it wouldn't be done by the current people in British MMA. I think a TMA group would grab it and run with it, good luck to them lol!

Or, like what happened to TKD, a completely new group could come in and dedicate their training to exploiting the Olympic rules, squeezing out the original MMA'ers completely.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well putting TKD in the Olympics hasn't exactly enhanced it has it? The Judo rules are constantly being tweaked to make it a 'better spectator experience' rather than enhancing the sport itself. There's other non martial arts sports its' happened to as well. Read some of the comments I get on MMA from the anti MMA people and you wouldn't doubt their intent to change it or even just wipe it out :)

Wasn't arguing btw, just making a comment, whether it's the intent or not, putting MMA into the Olympics will ruin it. We discussed this in the UK MMA scene and none of us want MMA in the Olympics. We have no ruling body so even if it were in the Olympics there would be no British team.

1) Your new argument is highly speculative.
2) Your old argument was highly presumptive.
3) You are in fact arguing your current position. And at an earlier point you were arguing your previous position.Please take to time and learn what an argument is before stating --incorrectly-- that you are not.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Or, like what happened to TKD, a completely new group could come in and dedicate their training to exploiting the Olympic rules, squeezing out the original MMA'ers completely.

I doubt that, since MMA was already a SPORT previously, and is a more highly organized sport now, with more rules and regulations.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
The general feeling amongst most martial artists is that tkd has been adversley affected by becoming an olympic sport but from a larger viewpoint Im sure many would disagree with this. Tkd's popularity has grown immensley over the last decade or so and it continues to grow very quickly. More and more people are now making a living out of tkd whether it be competing (even in australia we have full time tkdists) or from running schools. Im amazed at how many kids at my children's school do tkd and in some parts of the world there is talk of it becoming part of the physical education curriculum in schools. Im not saying its a good or bad thing but certainly from many perspectives tkd has really thrived since becoming an olympic sport.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) Your new argument is highly speculative.
2) Your old argument was highly presumptive.
3) You are in fact arguing your current position. And at an earlier point you were arguing your previous position.Please take to time and learn what an argument is before stating --incorrectly-- that you are not.

Who's arguing? I'm not, merely passing a comment on something you know nothing about and I do which is British MMA. It must be the time of year of year when people take the internet too seriously and get their knickers in a twist. Calm down son. It's not serious, just a chat on MMA in the Olympics. It's not the Oxford debating society.

zDom, I think you are likely to be right. The Olympic commitee would step in, make a governing body and all us reprobates would be left out of the scene. MMA in the UK is an extrememly idiosyncratic entity, it's so small for a start that I know practically everyone in it, there's no money and we do it all for the fun. Olympic stuff might be getting too serious for us.

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score
I dont see it as a case of putting MMA in the Olympics, as much as its a case of putting MMA back in the Olympics after a long hiatus.

If Judo, Wrestling and TKD are in the Olympics then BJJ should be at least, if not Pankration. I dunno about modern cage fighting MMA though, but hell, I would watch more Olympics if it were on.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Who's arguing? I'm not, merely passing a comment on something you know nothing about and I do which is British MMA. It must be the time of year of year when people take the internet too seriously and get their knickers in a twist. Calm down son. It's not serious, just a chat on MMA in the Olympics. It's not the Oxford debating society.

So... you really don't know what the word argument actually means. And you have no intent on actually learning it. Well, since you take the internet serious enough to post all conspiratorially, But not serious enough to care about logic, or even the meanings of words, I guess we're done here.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... you really don't know what the word argument actually means. And you have no intent on actually learning it. Well, since you take the internet serious enough to post all conspiratorially, But not serious enough to care about logic, or even the meanings of words, I guess we're done here.

I can be as argumentative as you wish dear boy but I choose not to be when you are clearly just trying to wind me up. There's no plot to take over the world or even MMA, I posted tongue in cheek which obviously went straight over the top of your head. Do you seriously think people hate MMA that much they would conspire together to take it over, good grief! :lol:

MMA is growing but not so much that there would be enough countries putting teams in to make it worth having a competition. The TKD and JUdo people would be anxious to keep MMA out, the UK Judo team did badly at the last Olympics and have been threatened with having their sports grant taken away or at least made smaller, they won't want competition. MMA people here don't want it in the Olympics as they feel it will castrate the sport, turn it into something else they won't like. We have a small wrestling team which did well last week in the Commonwealth Games, they won't want competition either for grants or places. The boxing team which again was a disappointment in China though the Home Country boxers did well last week, were like the Judo team, had a huge amount of money given to them but failed to perform. Again more opposition to MMA, boxing here generally does not like MMA anyway, too much of a threat they think. Our TKD team did well in China but were cheated out of medals so that doesn't give MMA people confidence that we will do well in the Olympics. All in all there seems little to gain from MMA being in the Olympics from our point of view. Can't speak for other countries though.

If GSP were to compete in the London Olympics I would be there like a shot lol!

I love the idea of Pankration coming back into the Olympics in all it's glory and lack of rules!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please keep the conversation polite and respectful. Thanks.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think that we all need to remember that there are no plans by anyone, anywhere to introduce MMA into the Olympics. This is a "what if" thread that is completely hypothetical.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can be as argumentative as you wish dear boy but I choose not to be when you are clearly just trying to wind me up. There's no plot to take over the world or even MMA, I posted tongue in cheek which obviously went straight over the top of your head. Do you seriously think people hate MMA that much they would conspire together to take it over, good grief! :lol:

MMA is growing but not so much that there would be enough countries putting teams in to make it worth having a competition. The TKD and JUdo people would be anxious to keep MMA out, the UK Judo team did badly at the last Olympics and have been threatened with having their sports grant taken away or at least made smaller, they won't want competition. MMA people here don't want it in the Olympics as they feel it will castrate the sport, turn it into something else they won't like. We have a small wrestling team which did well last week in the Commonwealth Games, they won't want competition either for grants or places. The boxing team which again was a disappointment in China though the Home Country boxers did well last week, were like the Judo team, had a huge amount of money given to them but failed to perform. Again more opposition to MMA, boxing here generally does not like MMA anyway, too much of a threat they think. Our TKD team did well in China but were cheated out of medals so that doesn't give MMA people confidence that we will do well in the Olympics. All in all there seems little to gain from MMA being in the Olympics from our point of view. Can't speak for other countries though.

If GSP were to compete in the London Olympics I would be there like a shot lol!

I love the idea of Pankration coming back into the Olympics in all it's glory and lack of rules!

mostly I'm trying to get you to look up the word argument.

Since yet again you haven't, here are three definitions.

1)A fact or assertion offered as evidence that something is true; "it was a strong argument that his hypothesis was true.

2)In logic, an argument is a set of one or more meaningful declarative sentences (or "propositions") known as the premises along with another meaningful declarative sentence (or "proposition") known as the conclusion.

3)A series of statements organized so that the final statement is a conclusion which is intended to follow logically from the preceding statements, which function as premises

And now I really am done reading your words.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:EG: I'm female, Jewish and a Scorpio which bit of argument do you think I don't understand ROFLMAO!

But I'm not here to argue, just to enjoy the conversation.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that we all need to remember that there are no plans by anyone, anywhere to introduce MMA into the Olympics. This is a "what if" thread that is completely hypothetical.

Absolutely! I'd like to see sports in the Olympics that can be trained and competed for cheaply! That way as many countries could compete as possible, there's no way that small developing countries can compete against the bigger, rich ones. I actually think shin kicking would be a good sport (yes, it's a real one) or cheese rolling, definitely cricket though. Not golf though, never golf! Love to see Kabbadi in though, it's like a martial arts ball game! the British Forces have teams, so we might win some medals for a change! Rugby sevens would be a good one especially if the Kiwis win and do their Haka bare chested as they did last week after winnng the Commonwealth Games Gold....wow just wow!

Going to have to go and lie down now.......................

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
:EG: I'm female, Jewish and a Scorpio which bit of argument do you think I don't understand ROFLMAO!

But I'm not here to argue, just to enjoy the conversation.

The DEFINITION OF THE WORD. Thxbye.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The DEFINITION OF THE WORD. Thxbye.

Look, you may here to argue with people but I'm not.

It's already been pointed out, this is a hypothetical question, my posts were in that spirit, I'm not arguing anything with anyone nor am I taking it so seriously that I get upset about someone else's posts. You asked a question, I answered tongue in cheek, that's all, nothing else. My sense of humour is obviously different from yours, it happens.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did someone use the word 'Argument'?

[yt]teMlv3ripSM[/yt]

[yt]WdS7ffB-usY[/yt]

Last edited:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess the nudge was missed earlier by Jade. Come on folks, lets chill k? :)

Anyways...in the early UFCs there was a limited rule set. Today, we see a much larger list of "Do Not Do's" with fighter safety in mind. So....assuming that MMA did make it in, what changes would there be?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess the nudge was missed earlier by Jade. Come on folks, lets chill k? :)

Anyways...in the early UFCs there was a limited rule set. Today, we see a much larger list of "Do Not Do's" with fighter safety in mind. So....assuming that MMA did make it in, what changes would there be?

The problem with MMA at the moment is the general public's ignorance of it and as these are the people any Olympic city has to sell the tickets to there would be big problems. Talking to friends who were at the UFC in London the other night a great many people are turning up expecting a huge bloodfest of what we call car parks fights. One friend was sat with half a dozen empty seats beside him when half way through the night some lads came in and sat down, some English the others Irish. They asked him if there were any English fighters on it, (der!) then when Bisping had caught his opponent in the unmentionables the Irish guys laughed and said they knew the English had no balls! he had to point out that Bisping was the English guy, his opponent wasn't. There were loads of chavs dressed in Tap Out who had no idea what they were looking at booing every time a fight went to the floor and shouting out the most stupid comments showing their ignorance of what they were looking at. We don't get these idiots coming to any other promotions just the UFC, I guess thats because of the name. The night wasn't a sell out anyway, it never is. One wit on an MMA site suggested that to fill the empty seats the UFC trawl through the local pubs offering free tickets. Now thats fanciful but the UFC has moved people from the furthest away seats before on shows here to the cageside to fill them up so it looks better on television.
Other friends got fed up of the chavs asking them questions which showed they had no knowledge of MMA at all.

These aren't the people nobody wants at the Olympics and we don't want people thinking these are the normal people who follow the sport, these are the UFC chavs.

On the other side you have the 'anti blood sport' types who want MMA banned and would be horrified if it was even suggested it goes into the Olympics.

As in Judo which has decided it's Olympic compettion has to have spectator appeal ie lots of throws and less 'boring' groundwork I imagine we'd end up with some sort of kickboxing with the occasional throw and groundwork not longer than a minute or two, perhaps a rule saying subs within a minute or be stood up! The standard 4 oz gloves would be changed to those awful padded training ones, head guards, body shields, shin and foot pads compulsory, short rounds. Refs stopping at fight at the slightest hint of blood. Definitely no cage or ring, mats like Judo and TKD with judges at each corner. Probably two refs instead of one. Points given when an opponent touches the other, no KOs, maybe even disqualification if you draw blood! perhaps even semi contact or no contact at all lol!

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
The problem with MMA at the moment is the general public's ignorance of it and as these are the people any Olympic city has to sell the tickets to there would be big problems. Talking to friends who were at the UFC in London the other night a great many people are turning up expecting a huge bloodfest of what we call car parks fights. One friend was sat with half a dozen empty seats beside him when half way through the night some lads came in and sat down, some English the others Irish. They asked him if there were any English fighters on it, (der!) then when Bisping had caught his opponent in the unmentionables the Irish guys laughed and said they knew the English had no balls! he had to point out that Bisping was the English guy, his opponent wasn't. There were loads of chavs dressed in Tap Out who had no idea what they were looking at booing every time a fight went to the floor and shouting out the most stupid comments showing their ignorance of what they were looking at. We don't get these idiots coming to any other promotions just the UFC, I guess thats because of the name. The night wasn't a sell out anyway, it never is. One wit on an MMA site suggested that to fill the empty seats the UFC trawl through the local pubs offering free tickets. Now thats fanciful but the UFC has moved people from the furthest away seats before on shows here to the cageside to fill them up so it looks better on television.
Other friends got fed up of the chavs asking them questions which showed they had no knowledge of MMA at all.

These aren't the people nobody wants at the Olympics and we don't want people thinking these are the normal people who follow the sport, these are the UFC chavs.

On the other side you have the 'anti blood sport' types who want MMA banned and would be horrified if it was even suggested it goes into the Olympics.

As in Judo which has decided it's Olympic compettion has to have spectator appeal ie lots of throws and less 'boring' groundwork I imagine we'd end up with some sort of kickboxing with the occasional throw and groundwork not longer than a minute or two, perhaps a rule saying subs within a minute or be stood up! The standard 4 oz gloves would be changed to those awful padded training ones, head guards, body shields, shin and foot pads compulsory, short rounds. Refs stopping at fight at the slightest hint of blood. Definitely no cage or ring, mats like Judo and TKD with judges at each corner. Probably two refs instead of one. Points given when an opponent touches the other, no KOs, maybe even disqualification if you draw blood! perhaps even semi contact or no contact at all lol!
If you dont mind me asking, what is a 'chav'?