Mixing 2 forms for touraments will it work

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just want to get your opion on this
I am thinking of mixing to korean forms to do at touraments but do u think it will work or the judges will not alow a 45 step form?

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
see i want to do it cause most korean forms are not realy long and I Feel that is a problem when I do it against other arts

D

Disco

I would advise against it. For two reasons. 1). The judges will not be prepared for it and in all likelyhood will not score you high.
2). The longer the form the more chance to screw it up.

Do your regular form for your rank and just try to make the movements as sharp and crisp as you possibly can. When I judge thats the main thing I look for aside from all the right moves within the form.
:asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually there is a time limit on the katas, so as long as you are within that time frame, you should be ok. As for the mixing, I've seen lots of people do it. There are usually different divisions in the tournies, usually open and trad. so I guess it depends on what you are going to do. Alot of the tournies today are geared towards the flashy moves, so if you feel that doing 2 katas would get a higher score, then go for it!

Mike

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sure. mixing forms works well in an OPEN tournament. In a TRADITIONAL tournament, however, DON'T.

I usually use EPAK Long form 2 and add the fingerset at the end. Works well, fits together nicely, and has a nice finish to it.

C

clapping_tiger

Originally posted by nightingale8472
Sure. mixing forms works well in an OPEN tournament. In a TRADITIONAL tournament, however, DON'T.
I agree here. I saw a guy at an open tournament preform a kenpo form mixed with traditional Kung Fu ( don't know the style) it was pretty cool and he took 1st place.

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our school just came back from the IKC and I was really surprised as to how many people mixed forms. What started as Long 3 ended in something totally different. Most of them took 1st-3rd place but I think it really depends on the judging.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by TallAdam85
Just want to get your opion on this
I am thinking of mixing to korean forms to do at touraments but do u think it will work or the judges will not alow a 45 step form?
If your judges don't know your system they won't know the difference. You should be judged on your motion, performance, and presentation. If they want to see the form exactly as they know it then do it that way; then your skills all go out the widow and its a memorization contest anyway. I which case short and sweet is a virtue.

Latest Discussions