Training For the "world"

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just curious how many people regaularly train outside in the rain, or snow, or freezing cold, or the blisteing heat? At night or In the dark?

Do you find it hard to learn in those conditions or do you enjoy it and wish you could do more of it?

Also, How many of you do water training in lakes and/or pools to learn to drown your opponents? Do you do it regularly, or is it sporadic "seminar" type stuff?

Just curious.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just curious how many people regaularly train outside in the rain

Nope

No way, I hate the cold.

or the blisteing heat?

If it's 90 - 95, I don't see a problem, I love to sweat but if it's much hotter I won't be directly in the sun.

At night or In the dark?

That's for sleeping:rofl:

Do you find it hard to learn in those conditions or do you enjoy it and wish you could do more of it?

Yes, the last time I went and video taped my forms as I performed them outside. My thought was it looked like s***. I was very displeased with my performance.

Also, How many of you do water training in lakes and/or pools to learn to drown your opponents? Do you do it regularly, or is it sporadic "seminar" type stuff?

No pool so I don't do the water stuff. Wish I did however.:asian:

Very interesting questions I'm curious to see other people's points of view.

A

A.R.K.

Ok, I'll take a stab at this..

in the rain,

Training - occasionally. On duty - often, like today.

I live in Florida...whats snow :rofl:

freezing cold

Please see above comment. Actually it can get down past freezing here. That is a very good question actually. How many actually train in heavy clothing [judo uniforms don't count]. I'm talking heavy coats and wooly undies with gloves. Can change things dramaticallly.

blisteing heat

Now your talking my language. T-shirts and flip flops :cool: Much easier to move than the cold of course. But a sweaty opponent is harder to grapple, strikes can glance off easier etc.

At night or In the dark?

Like right now for me. The dark definately makes a difference!

Also, How many of you do water training in lakes and/or pools to learn to drown your opponents?

Actually yes. Without sounding Ramboish, when I was with CIS in command of SOG team six we practiced underwater combat at depths down to 120 feet. Simulating cutting the pressure hose and reaching around to punch the purge valve on the regulator to let out that last gasp. From 120 your not making it back on whats in your lungs unless you have extensive training.

Very good questions. Others might be the surface you train on. Is it padded? How about concrete or ashpalt? Thats the surface I fight bg's on. How about gravel or uneven surfaces? Might just effect those kicks...

Good thread.

:asian:

R

rmcrobertson

Personally, I train in a flourine atmosphere once a week. For that day when the High Lords of the d'qqqolqqqnish'jakaar attack.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that training outside is great, but it is something that IMO, is often overlooked by alot of people. Me personally, I enjoy working out outside, whether its in a backyard, garage, etc. Its good to get a feel for what you can do outside of the dojo, especially when you are not wearing a gi. You will definately move alot different in street clothes!

Mike

Latest Discussions