Mixed age group classes needs to stop

OP
G

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a pairing issue. Simply switch partners so that the adult can do the same drill with another adult. Most adults don't mind going light for someone weaker or younger. If the adult is the weaker one, then the teen does the same for that adult.
Again, if you’re having to go out of your way to make it kinda work, one or both of those students are likely not getting the most of out the experience.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I’ve only been in one school/class that had all ages in one setting, it was a TKD held at a local church. Obviously super family oriented. Never was an adult paired with a child and never was an adult other than parent left alone with a child. It seemed to work in that setting. I’m pretty sure, other than that, no other school/class I attended had youth classes.

OP
G

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I’ve only been in one school/class that had all ages in one setting, it was a TKD held at a local church. Obviously super family oriented. Never was an adult paired with a child and never was an adult other than parent left alone with a child. It seemed to work in that setting. I’m pretty sure, other than that, no other school/class I attended had youth classes.
Look up karate class on YT, you’ll see plenty of videos of teens and adults in classes together, some may even show young children with adults.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Again, if you’re having to go out of your way to make it kinda work, one or both of those students are likely not getting the most of out the experience.
I guess it depends on what you are looking at when you are talking about "getting the most out of the experience." I look at the total of what is gain. A lot of my own kung fu knowledge came from helping others which forced me to have a deeper understanding of what I do. It was no longer good enough to say "It comes natural to me."

I understand some of the risks that you have brought up. There will always be a risk, the most we can do is minimize it. The best way at the school should be that no one is left alone with a student.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
and never was an adult other than parent left alone with a child.
This is the one that I have always stuck to even in non martial arts settings. While I was typing, it sounded as if someone was shooting a gun close by. I hope they were shooting targets. Not sure though it's 11 PM here.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a pairing issue. Simply switch partners so that the adult can do the same drill with another adult. Most adults don't mind going light for someone weaker or younger. If the adult is the weaker one, then the teen does the same for that adult.
We've always done this in grappling for MMA, the stronger more powerful types need to drill with weaker partners so they learn not to use their strength but their techniques. They often forget strength alone will not help in competition when they are matched with an equally strong opponent so techniques all the way! A weaker partner gains confidence when their techniques work against a bigger stronger non compliant ( a broadly non compliant partner not full on when one is much weaker but enough) partner. The
I imagine like us you switch partners regularly too.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look up karate class on YT, you’ll see plenty of videos of teens and adults in classes together, some may even show young children with adults.
Do you base your opinions on what you see in YouTube?
On social media it's the empty can that makes the most noise, most reputable martial arts places don't bother with it so you won't see the worthy stuff.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Because outside of the internet there are few ways for random strangers to get into contact with children, and most injuries will be forgotten about a couple of weeks after the injury is incurred.

Lack of concentration and disruption is an issue that will still exist in children only classes and a good instructor won’t have much issue mitigating those issues.

And there have been a frighteningly high number of examples of people revealing that martial arts schools are where an under aged victim met their predator.
Nor will a good instructor have issue with mitigating the risk of children and adults mixing. Each age range it taught in an appropriate manner.
Show us examples of schools and predators.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score

I was speaking of my particular experience. No doubt, one can probably find anything one wants on YT/web to match a narrative.

OP
G

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score

I was speaking of my particular experience. No doubt, one can probably find anything one wants on YT/web to match a narrative.
Sure, but looking up adult classes I found more classes that were labeled adult that were clearly mixed age than purely adults

OP
G

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nor will a good instructor have issue with mitigating the risk of children and adults mixing. Each age range it taught in an appropriate manner.
Show us examples of schools and predators.
Lol yeah if good instructors and the like could prevent predators then simply put there’d be no kids being taken advantage of because it’s so easy to mitigate.

And no, you can’t run a class in a manner that’s age appropriate for young children and adults at the same time because the differences in brain development are too different.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Lol yeah if good instructors and the like could prevent predators then simply put there’d be no kids being taken advantage of because it’s so easy to mitigate.

And no, you can’t run a class in a manner that’s age appropriate for young children and adults at the same time because the differences in brain development are too different.
This is successfully done countless times every day.
Honestly, your concerns border on being downright creepy.
We segregate within the same class depending on the age makeup. For example, we may separate a group of kids and work them separately, but everyone is working out at the same time. A lot of things are done concurrently. It is just more efficient that way.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We segregate within the same class depending on the age makeup. For example, we may separate a group of kids and work them separately, but everyone is working out at the same time. A lot of things are done concurrently. It is just more efficient that way.
I agree, it is creepy and worrying.
In the UK as I'm sure it is in North America and Europe as well as other countries there are many precautions taken to safeguard children.
Here all organisations have their instructors checked by the police and safeguarding issues highlighted as well as safety policies put in place. I would say this is adhered to by all clubs.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you an instructor?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with that. It doesn't hurt adults to train with higher ranks younger than them either.
As a general statement, I don't see an issue with it. Was just clarifying it's a common practice here in the states, since you said you don't know anywhere this happens in any style.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a general statement, I don't see an issue with it. Was just clarifying it's a common practice here in the states, since you said you don't know anywhere this happens in any style.
I don't know anyone who does but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. It was more me rebuffing GojuTommy's assertion it was in every class.

OP
G

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Creepy to be concerned about predators? I find it creepy people are so nonchalant about it.

As for done successfully…define successfully.

Psychology tells us there are best practices for teaching people of different age groups, and no two are the same..

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Couple of random thoughts. First, I don't see a specific problem with some adult interaction with kids. But trusting your instincts and protecting kids from predators is just good sense.

Unrelated (but relevant to the thread) there was a thread a long time ago where a kid was, I think, 15 and competing in a BJJ adult white belt division. He was grappling with another kid. technically an adult of something like 18. Anyway, there was an accident and he ended up breaking his neck. A lot of controversy at the time about whether or not he should have been competing as an adult. Point then and now is that we have age divisions for a reason, and as a general rule, those reasons make sense for most people. But exceptions occur, and I think that's a good thing, not a bad one.

Edit: I found the thread from 2015... won't link to it here but it's out there to find, but it was a 15 year old and a 19 year old, and they were in the blue belt division.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions