Meet the Red Brigade

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
Meet the brave young ladies of India's 'Red Brigade.' :asian:

"They're girls -- mainly teenagers -- who patrol their local streets protecting women and girls from sexual harassment. In their matching black and red black salwar kameez -- the traditional garb worn by women across South Asia -- they target offending males who have over-stepped the mark."

[video=youtube_share;WtCkWsyR1OA]http://youtu.be/WtCkWsyR1OA[/video]

"And defend themselves they can, if their regular martial arts classes are anything to go by. In a dusty gym on the other side of town, the girls -- 15 of them -- are put through their paces on threadbare mats by a local Kung Fu instructor. He drills them in several techniques, from punching and kicking, to breaking the hold of an attacker approaching from behind. A faded picture of martial arts legend Bruce Lee gazes down approvingly, as each of the girls attacks the instructor's padding with intense focus and conviction. They have plenty to be angry about."

Read the full article at cnn.news

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering." ~ Bruce Lee

OP
grumpywolfman

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just found their contact information: Red Brigades

I think I'll try to see if I can donate a box of steel toe shoes to replace their sandals with :)

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guns would be more effective for these women than any unarmed art...and it would force the sexual predators to take them really seriously...

This goes to show that you can't put your safety completely in the hands of anyone...even the police...especially if the police are a big part of the problem as they seem to be here...

I do applaud their effort though...I hope they put these guys in the hospital...or the morgue...Perhaps Kurtis Sliwa, the founder of the Guardian Angels could make a trip to India...

Here are some words of wisdom...

--Reasons to own guns...Criminals, the dangerously mentally ill, government abuse, government neglect. Billc

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well done to them for their motivation and the gods know they have more than enough reason to kick back and hard against the way their society is going. It's petty under the circumstance but I just wish they had picked a different name for themselves; the Red Brigade I know about were anything but worthy of praise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Brigades

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well done to them for their motivation and the gods know they have more than enough reason to kick back and hard against the way their society is going. It's petty under the circumstance but I just wish they had picked a different name for themselves; the Red Brigade I know about were anything but worthy of praise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Brigades

They are probably not aware of that....

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guns would be more effective for these women than any unarmed art...

The Judge Dredd approach--a gang of women dispensing street justice? I suspect a less violent form of protest against sexual violence will win over more people in the long run--battle vs. war--and that's a lesson India has learned well.

Latest Discussions