McDonald's sued for marketing Happy Meals to children

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The lawsuit, filed by a Sacramento mother and the Center for Science in the Public Interest, contends that giving toys with children's meals circumvents parental control and teaches children unhealthy eating habits.

By Emily Bryson York The LA Times EXCERPT:

1:33 PM PST, December 15, 2010

A Sacramento mother and the Center for Science in the Public Interest filed a lawsuit Wednesday against McDonald's Corp., alleging that its practice of giving toys with children's meals is deceptive to children.
The organization had been threatening to sue McDonald's since last summer, claiming that the Happy Meals toys constitute a method of circumventing parental control and teach children unhealthy eating. The complaint, filed in San Francisco Superior Court, also accuses the company of false advertising.
The lawsuit alleges that "McDonald's exploits very young California children and harms their health by advertising unhealthy Happy Meals with toys directly to them" and that "children 8 years old and younger do not have the cognitive skills and the developmental maturity to understand the persuasive intent of marketing and advertising."
In a call with reporters, Monet Parham, a Sacramento mother of two, said she was bringing the case because of the constant requests for McDonald's Happy Meals.
"I don't think it's OK to entice children with Happy Meals with the promise of a toy," Parham said, adding that she tries to hold her daughters, 6 and 2, to monthly visits to the fast-food chain. But she said their requests increased this summer, thanks to the popularity of "Shrek Forever After." Collecting all of the toys offered in conjunction with the movie would require weekly visits, she said.
END EXCERPT
It is NOT the responsibility of McDonalds to raise your children. My son wants all kinds of crap that isn't good for him, I tell him "NO!" The cold hard fact is that a big part of being a responsible parent is telling your child "NO!"

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is ridiculous. ALL advertising is geared towards a target audience. Kid's cereal is meant to get kids to want their product also.

How about owning up and being a parent and telling your kid "no" once in awhile. How does advertising "circumvent" your ability to parent your child?

Another person trying to get free publicity and/or money.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is NOT the responsibility of McDonalds to raise your children. My son wants all kinds of crap that isn't good for him, I tell him "NO!" The cold hard fact is that a big part of being a responsible parent is telling your child "NO!"

I absolutely could not agree more with this.

Be a parent.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's the modern American way....hand over responsibility to someone else, preferably the government to handle what for millennium was YOUR responsibility.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Too bad McDonalds is a franchise. I'd love to see them go all Walmarts and pull every last restaurant out of Sacramento. Buh-bye, tax revenues.

Well, that's if she wins this thing. But it would still be fun, though. Imagine being the person who chased McDonalds out of town. Awkward.

Slipper

Orange Belt
Reaction score
From the article:
Needless to say, my answer was no," Parham said. "And as usual, pouting ensued and a little bit of a disagreement between us. This doesn't stop with one request. It's truly a litany of requests."

My children hear 'no' only once. Any whining, continuous begging, etc results in their cleaning something (hall, dishes, porch, bathroom, bedroom). At some point, they realize that no means no.

I'm not a mean parent, my kids do have the occasional happy meal, but the majority of our meals are eaten at home (and home-cooked to boot). I do think children (even young ones) are capable of understanding the word no, that certain things aren't healthy and that eating out is expensive.

If television marketing is a problem, then another suggestion is to turn it off. Problem solved. :)

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would post a reply to this, but my kids saw an old Joe Camel advertisement, you know the ones that Camel cigarettes used and were sued and forced to remove it, and they want me to go get them some cigarettes now... so i will go do that and then come back and post my reply....

seriously though.. hypocracy at work..
I dont smoke, and dont like cigarettes... but they are to important to taxes for anyoen to really do anything about them...
but aren't they and this McDonalds product kind of in the same boat?
I mean both are unhealthy....
I mean I see a distinction and a difference, but under Legal speak is the only difference that Cigarettes have an age limit?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
My children hear 'no' only once. Any whining, continuous begging, etc results in their cleaning something (hall, dishes, porch, bathroom, bedroom). At some point, they realize that no means no.

^^^ This. I don't have these arguments with my son. He asks, I say no, we go on to something else. His mother, on the other hand, has made it clear that everything is negotiable. So they have some epic battles. The worst for him is when he gets the two of us together. I think it throws off his strategy. Then he starts arguing with Dad, which ends badly.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heres a wacky idea... if you just CAN'T be a parent and say no to little Johnny or Sally, go to McDonalds, get the damn Happy Meal, hand the food to a Homeless person, and give the kid the toy.

OOH, you caved into your rugrat AND helped a fellow human being. Whee!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

The lawsuit, filed by a Sacramento mother and the Center for Science in the Public Interest, contends that giving toys with children's meals circumvents parental control and teaches children unhealthy eating habits.

By Emily Bryson York The LA Times EXCERPT:

1:33 PM PST, December 15, 2010

A Sacramento mother and the Center for Science in the Public Interest filed a lawsuit Wednesday against McDonald's Corp., alleging that its practice of giving toys with children's meals is deceptive to children.
The organization had been threatening to sue McDonald's since last summer, claiming that the Happy Meals toys constitute a method of circumventing parental control and teach children unhealthy eating. The complaint, filed in San Francisco Superior Court, also accuses the company of false advertising.
The lawsuit alleges that "McDonald's exploits very young California children and harms their health by advertising unhealthy Happy Meals with toys directly to them" and that "children 8 years old and younger do not have the cognitive skills and the developmental maturity to understand the persuasive intent of marketing and advertising."
In a call with reporters, Monet Parham, a Sacramento mother of two, said she was bringing the case because of the constant requests for McDonald's Happy Meals.
"I don't think it's OK to entice children with Happy Meals with the promise of a toy," Parham said, adding that she tries to hold her daughters, 6 and 2, to monthly visits to the fast-food chain. But she said their requests increased this summer, thanks to the popularity of "Shrek Forever After." Collecting all of the toys offered in conjunction with the movie would require weekly visits, she said.
END EXCERPT

This mother should be locked up for being stupid and attempting to fraudulently steal money from McDonalds in a joke of a suit. If this dumb ***** is so concerned about toys and happy meals, its that simple....dont take your kid there!!!

My God, I know times are rough, but is this the level that people are stooping too these days? Maybe this dumb clown of a mother, should stop blaming others for her kids actions, and actually take some resonsibility for her kids. Gee...theres a concept for ya. LOL. So what're her kids doing...holding a knife to her throat and forcing her to take them to McD's? Please....its not hard lady....NO...thats the word you use when you dont want your kids doing something. Cry, whine, ***** and moan...too ****ing bad! Its a shame that some parents want to be more of a friend to their kid instead of what they should be...a parent!

I wonder if this jackass sues grocery stores for having unhealthy cereals next to the healthy ones. Interestingly enough, the store that I go to, has the candy right across from the cereal. LOL.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with all of you, but also think corporations shouldnt be stupid either and should take responsibility too. Also I do believe in certain govenment regulation of things.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with all of you, but also think corporations shouldnt be stupid either and should take responsibility too. Also I do believe in certain govenment regulation of things.

Its all about marketing IMO. I mean think about it...you have people out there who feel the UFC is bad. Ok, fine, dont watch it. Dont BUY it on PPV, dont rent the dvds, dont watch TUF, dont buy the dvds when they come out, etc., but those same people, who're so against stuff like that, should also respect the fact that others may like it. Just because I may hate spinach, doesnt mean that I should stand up and start preaching to the people at the table next to me in the restaurant, that have it on their plate.

This is a case of a nut job mom, wanting to change the world. News flash for her...she isn't nor will she ever. If she doesnt like McD then dont go there, and become a real parent and stand up to your kids! Its not that hard.

Trust me, my parents went down the same road with me and my sister. Difference being, is that when they said no, it meant no....end of story. If I acted up that bad, I'd get a whack across my ***....something else parents can't do anymore, because people cry child abuse.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh noes, don't go down the corporal punishment road, because I get wound up and I might not be able to refrain from going off topic :p because I HATE corporal punishment.

On topic, Its like everything I suppose. Dont like abortion, or gay marriage? Fine, dont have one. Dont like smoking? Dont smoke and dont preach to others that they should quit, you'll only annoy them and they wont wanna listen to you more then, because they already know its bad. Dont like McDonald's? Dont go there and dont preach to those who do. I can't eat their burgers (gluten/wheat intolerant) But I love their french fries. :)

I think both people and corporations should take responsibility. My bro and his gf refuse to feed their daughter anything with sugar or salt. (she's almost a year old. I dont agree with banning the stuff outright like my bro and his gf are doing.. Like slipper says nothing wrong with the stuff once in a while, its a nice treat. and once in a while can teach kids about responsibility too. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh noes, don't go down the corporal punishment road, because I get wound up and I might not be able to refrain from going off topic :p because I HATE corporal punishment.

I guess you could chalk it up to them being a bit old school....you listened to and respected your elders. The whack, again, wasn't or is it, child abuse. IMO, theres a big difference between abuse and a smack on the ***. Of course, that was usually the last resort....my sister and I simply got 'the look' and knew 99% of the time, that we'd best do what we were told. :) Of course, there was always that 1%...LOL.

On topic, Its like everything I suppose. Dont like abortion, or gay marriage? Fine, dont have one. Dont like smoking? Dont smoke and dont preach to others that they should quit, you'll only annoy them and they wont wanna listen to you more then, because they already know its bad. Dont like McDonald's? Dont go there and dont preach to those who do. I can't eat their burgers (gluten/wheat intolerant) But I love their french fries. :)

I think both people and corporations should take responsibility. My bro and his gf refuse to feed their daughter anything with sugar or salt. (she's almost a year old. I dont agree with banning the stuff outright like my bro and his gf are doing.. Like slipper says nothing wrong with the stuff once in a while, its a nice treat. and once in a while can teach kids about responsibility too. :)

And therein lies the difference. Things in moderation, IMHO, are fine. To make a weekly trip to McD...well, yeah, you're probably opening yourself up to issues, ie: weight gain, unless your kid is real active, and increased trips. I have a Dairy Queen within walking distance of where I live. I certainly dont go there daily or even weekly, but every now and then, on a hot day, yes, its nice to treat yourself. :)

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You can also just buy the toy. Mcdonald's has the Hello Kitty watches I went to Mcdonald's and ask to buy the toy it cost me $1 and I did not have to buy the Happy meal at all.

This woman failed to realize she can do this and because of her stupidity is trying to sue Mcdonald's. All Mcdonald's has to say is "We sell the toy seperate from the Happy meal too, you could just bought the toy instead"

Slipper

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Oaktree, that's true. I have a friend whose son was collecting pokemon (I think - it's been a while) and was a bit compulsive about having them all. (He does have autism so she cut him some slack on the constant request for the new pokemon). While he was at school, she would go to McDonalds and just buy the toy.

For that matter, you could go to the dollar store, buy a toy and make your own 'happy meal' with whatever you want to feed your child (grilled chicken, raw veggies and fruit for example).

Blade, our middle daughter has Celiac Disease so we feel your pain about eating out. You can ask McDonalds to buy just a grilled piece of chicken. We've done that (and the french fries) on our trips out.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can also just buy the toy. Mcdonald's has the Hello Kitty watches I went to Mcdonald's and ask to buy the toy it cost me $1 and I did not have to buy the Happy meal at all.

This woman failed to realize she can do this and because of her stupidity is trying to sue Mcdonald's. All Mcdonald's has to say is "We sell the toy seperate from the Happy meal too, you could just bought the toy instead"

She is not failing to realize anything. She has an agenda and knows exactly what she is doing.

Please google Monet Parham-Lee and find she isn't just some clueless parent, despite the insult to mothers everywhere part she is playing.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
From the article:

I'm not a mean parent, my kids do have the occasional happy meal, but the majority of our meals are eaten at home (and home-cooked to boot). I do think children (even young ones) are capable of understanding the word no, that certain things aren't healthy and that eating out is expensive.

If television marketing is a problem, then another suggestion is to turn it off. Problem solved. :)

I think I love you!

Aside to all the hoopla tho: I resent the toys more than the crap food. I like me a good Big mac now and then, can't blame the kid for liking the cheeseburger. But I REALLY hate the junk that accumulates. But then again we never did go in for happy meals much.

Latest Discussions