Mc Dojo

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
My current instructor - as Pete pointed out - chooses not to advertise. We still don't know why.
I've spoken to him on several occasions on this matter. The reason he chooses this is because he wants his school to be word of mouth. It's personal choice - he is very happy with his current clientele. It's a small community and the people in the school are very close, and the school is very family oriented. Word of mouth works for him. Money is definitely not a top priority with him. He is interested for himself and others in quality not quantity, and that's not to say that large schools can't offer quality of instruction. As long as he can pay his bills that's a choice he can afford to make. I don't think there is anything wrong with a school owner advertising. People who are interested will come because they want to, not because an add made them, but the add gives them the opportunity to know what is available. There is nothing wrong in my opinion with school owners taking out adds, but I agree with Flatlander as a potential student you should look at WHAT is being advertised before making a decision.

I think a Mc Dojo is a place where you will find that the emphasis is not quite on quality of instruction.

O

OC Kid

Yea I know the video clip of the guy sparring kinda sent me the signal. I asked my boy who I am training what he thought. How he would fight that guy and He said "simple daddy Id blitz him" BTW Hes 10 and 9th Kyu... so there ya go. But Its a great presentation with the exclusive dojo for serious students routine. I loved that. Good idea if it were true.

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
I've got a good example of a McDojo. A guy broke away from our TKD school, and started his own not more than 200 feet from my school. I know that he tends to do mainly "light contact point sparring". This guy has also been telling his students that he taught my instructor, which is total fallacy. From hearing other people's experiences with their school, students from this school tend to trash talk our school alot. They also have "Kick butt!" embossed on their door. Whenever somebody walks in the door, he tries to sign them up right away (this put off someone who came right to our school instead). Due to an inability to keep people interested, he offers 3 months half price with a 6 month contract. Sound McDojangish?

S

sifu nick

Be wary of those knowing "secret" or "magic" techniques. Also those who have claims of training only in shaolin temples and various other far away places with absolutely no way of backing it up. There is also large chain of schools out there which I will not name but know of as definite mcdojo's.

M

Mark Weiser

At my school I teach at a local community center. Topeka Parks and Recreation charge a fee of $20 for 4 hours of classes equals to $5 per hour per student. I do not get any funds since I volunteer my services. The only $ I make is thru products

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow, you know I have seen schools in St. Louis that say the following: We will have you sign a three year contract, you will have an eft of 36 payments of 100.00. Ok so far I suppose, however everyone I have met going to TKD class under this scenario is already a second dan at the end of the third year.

I was doing Tae Guek Sam Jang with a black belt from one of these types of schools, they didn't know it from a hill of beans.

Hapkidoguy

White Belt
Reaction score
Maybe this should be a different thread . If McDojos Have Black Belts that are too young. What age is too young? Just a question.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe this should be a different thread . If McDojos Have Black Belts that are too young. What age is too young? Just a question.

IMNSHO ... 16 at a minimum. I don't care what little Johnny or Janie's mom paid... period.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think our youngest was 17... a very very mature 17. 1st Dan. To us that's still kind of early in your training.

Hapkidoguy

White Belt
Reaction score
Some martial arts start at a very early age. Still just a question. Reallistically it should take someone 10 years to get a black belt ?

Hapkidoguy

White Belt
Reaction score
i would agree with that . But if we are honest we all know 1st Dan is truly the beginning of our training. At least thats what we tell people. So how do you stop having young black Belts. Do you stop teaching children?

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Our association has been discussing this very question recently. It looks like a minimum age of 16 is going to be the number. And that is a minimum! Lot of spirited debate back and forth about it though. Gotta be honest, 4 year old black belts just don't impress me. I'm sure its making some people a lot of money though :uhohh:

There is an old Aikido school near me where it takes about 10 years of constant training to earn a BB. And you wear white till you earn a black. Maybe I'm old fashioned...but I kinda like that.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Some martial arts start at a very early age. Still just a question. Reallistically it should take someone 10 years to get a black belt ?

since this is in the general martial arts section, I'll say that IMO, it depends on the conventions of the style and the culture of the school. In BJJ, 10 years isn't unrealistic for black belt. A 1st degree black belt in BJJ isn't the same as a 1st dan in TKD. Nor does it need to be.

Hapkidoguy

White Belt
Reaction score
I see your point. I was in an organization that had younger Black Belts in TKD . Around 12 years old. Most had been there for 6 years or so. I dont know how I feel about it. Sometimes i didnt like it other times i didnt have a problem with it. Im still trying to decide on the issue. If we are basing it on someones ability to do required forms then some 12 year olds are good. But idk if they understand the responsability. However some adults dont either. In my Hapkido school you had to be 16 to even train so that eliminated it there.
Just some thoughts

Hapkidoguy

White Belt
Reaction score
since this is in the general martial arts section, I'll say that IMO, it depends on the conventions of the style and the culture of the school. In BJJ, 10 years isn't unrealistic for black belt. A 1st degree black belt in BJJ isn't the same as a 1st dan in TKD. Nor does it need to be.

i have a friend who is in JJ and is still a purple belt after 10 years. He doesnt feel he is ready to go any higher. I received my TKD Black Belt In 2 years. I dont know if that is realistic or not. I would like to believe that I am good at what I do but Im not wanting to be arogant either. It took me about 2 Years for my HKD Black as well.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that it's nothing to do with the color of the belt and everything to do with being transparent and acting with integrity.

I don't have any problem with a martial arts school that says, "For $100 per month, I will give your young child some realistic goals, teach him to act with respect and courtesy, run him until he's tired and give him some opportunities to compete. I will reward his good behavior with monthly promotions along a 24 belt color scale and if he's diligent, he could earn his black belt within a few years."

I have REAL problems with, "If your son trains here and earns a black belt, he will be a lethal weapon, and would have no problem defending himself from harm."

In other words, I don't care what language is used, as long as the parents are being told in realistic terms what their child is and isn't learning, it's not a problem for me. And as far as I'm concerned, children can, at best, learn some anti-bullying behaviors and tactics, along with some sensible strategies for staying safe and avoiding danger. Anything beyond that is dangerous, IMO.

Latest Discussions