How To Create Your Own McDojo

A

AikidoCal

Reading several martial arts magazines at the local Barnes and Nobles, it hit me like a ton of bricks, what I was reading all these years was nothing more then instuctions on how to create your own Mcdojo.

See I compare the commerical martial arts magazines to other commerical sports magazines, and what I found was the quality comparatively is so bad in the martial arts magazines it hinges on being totally tabloid. All I could see in these so call martial arts magazines was the modeling of how to B.S. people, and indirectly create your own McDojo in 3 informerical steps. A continuous cycling of the "How To" for people who want to start a McDojo.

All you have to do is just pick up any martial arts magazine at your local book store and you will find articles and layouts on how to market yourself into a Mc Master just by subscribing to what is being written. They teach you how to talk, how to sell and market yourself, and how to advertise yourself in the most productive way. It seem as if that is their goal. Maybe that is why On Line Magazines like MT are so successful, and refreshing, because they didn't sell out and are true and honest to the reader.

Is anyone out there that feels the same way?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Yea but what happens when you get on the floor!!!!

Oh, I'm sure they have books for that as well.

Mike

hammer

Green Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Oh, I'm sure they have books for that as well.

Mike
And if you call today", you can receive a complete video package for the small price of $999.00 and receive a complementary bonus twin pack video series

On “How you to Can be the Master of your very own Mc dojo” absolutely free of Charge.

So call today!! And secure this Fantastic offer, our sales consultants are standing by to take your call. Please have your credit card handy, So there is no delay.

What are you waiting for. "You to can be the Master of your very on Mc dojo"

This limited offer

So call now!!
icon12.gif

Cheers
Hammer

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I find this tread to be rather hallarious...its like, mcDojo now comes in Combo deals...Hey I wonder if you can Super Size it.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sad but true.

I don't think I have even looked at a "MA Mag" since I was about 14 or so. It's just embarrassing,some of the pure crap in print.

The endless amount of "Instant lethality in 5 easy steps" kind of propoganda waded through to pick up *maybe* a grain of useful information makes it hardly worth the trouble.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, crap reading alright and it works both ways... say someone was of mind to create a mcdojo and does so via mail-order BB of whatever art he/she takes to their fancy and thus creates one with the help of some backers and the guarantee that they'll get their return doubled in a short while.
Then there's the un-informed MA-Mag reader who takes what the mag writes to heart and then goes to said McDojo and hears the "Master" spout off the same B.S. that the mag was writing and "lo! I have found the master from whom I shall turn over my life-savings and learn the secret arts of __________ (fill in the blank).
Kinda sad isn't it.

One possible result... the student learns that his so called Master is full of it and leaves, then searches out another school...finds one... this time legit... and ends up thinking the senior instructor is just as full of it.

Sooo, who out there on MT wants to publish a totally legit MA mag that will blast these fakers out of the water?
It seems like the right thing to do no? That is if we honor our individual arts and want that honor to stay with it.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Sooo, who out there on MT wants to publish a totally legit MA mag that will blast these fakers out of the water?

Pssst. Martial Talk already does....

Actually, the only mag I read is Journal of Asian Martial Arts, good mag but pricey. Source citation is a good thing.

Lamont

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was a teenager I used to love those MA Magazines, then in my senior year I picked one up and had a guy teaching knife defense. His defense against a thrust was to use a crecent kick and block the knife with the kick, which is prob the stupidest thing in the world considering that all the assailant would have to do is peirce your ankle or heel. The saddest part was how many clueless individuals out there will subscribe to this crap and pass it on to their students. I also remember several ads on how to turn your 10 student dojo in one with 100 students.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
I also remember several ads on how to turn your 10 student dojo in one with 100 students.
I think that is the worse part, they are aimed specifically at those who think of martial arts as a business, rather than a personal enlightenment pursuit...
(Whoa babbling, need coffee, early in morning...)

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Pssst. Martial Talk already does....

Actually, the only mag I read is Journal of Asian Martial Arts, good mag but pricey. Source citation is a good thing.

Lamont

I agree that Journal of Asian Martial Arts is a good magazine. May I also suggest Classical Fighting Arts.

Rob

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know, I actually may find a decent article in the BlackBelt issue or issue of TKD Times. They are not the technique articles but interview articles or history, that sort of thing.

Like I said once in a while they have good articles but the magazine as a whole may just be non sense. Hey remember buying a cassette for only one song? Same kind of deal here.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Like anything else in this world, it's what you take out of it. If all you see is how to make a McDojo, then that's all you will get out of it. If all you see is the stupid moves to defend yourself against a knife, then that's all you will get out of it.

If all you look for is the stupid negative MA adds or other ridiculous aspects in this that help them promote their magazines, then that's all you will get out of it.

Every magazine has it's pitfalls and it's good aspects. Take what you need out of it and leave the rest. It's pretty simple in my view.

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Like anything else in this world, it's what you take out of it. If all you see is how to make a McDojo, then that's all you will get out of it. If all you see is the stupid moves to defend yourself against a knife, then that's all you will get out of it.

If all you look for is the stupid negative MA adds or other ridiculous aspects in this that help them promote their magazines, then that's all you will get out of it.

Every magazine has it's pitfalls and it's good aspects. Take what you need out of it and leave the rest. It's pretty simple in my view.

This guy must have read a ton of martial arts magazines then..

www.numchucks.net

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't decide if that site is a joke or not. He keeps misspelling nunchucks. Of course, the whole thing is ridiculous and kind of reminds me of the Onion news source.
On a more awesome note, he mentions Crab Fu! (see the crab fu thread here at MT).

AoG

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Reading several martial arts magazines at the local Barnes and Nobles, it hit me like a ton of bricks, what I was reading all these years was nothing more then instuctions on how to create your own Mcdojo.

See I compare the commerical martial arts magazines to other commerical sports magazines, and what I found was the quality comparatively is so bad in the martial arts magazines it hinges on being totally tabloid. All I could see in these so call martial arts magazines was the modeling of how to B.S. people, and indirectly create your own McDojo in 3 informerical steps. A continuous cycling of the "How To" for people who want to start a McDojo.

All you have to do is just pick up any martial arts magazine at your local book store and you will find articles and layouts on how to market yourself into a Mc Master just by subscribing to what is being written. They teach you how to talk, how to sell and market yourself, and how to advertise yourself in the most productive way. It seem as if that is their goal. Maybe that is why On Line Magazines like MT are so successful, and refreshing, because they didn't sell out and are true and honest to the reader.

Is anyone out there that feels the same way?

You're just now figuring this out? Magazines, like bad schools, exist to get readers in the door, so to speak. It becomes a constant game of hype and sensationalism, otherwise their attention will be directed elsewhere.
Journal of Asian Martial Arts is noticeably better, but it tends to put me to sleep and suck all the enjoyment out of a dynamic activity. Try to imagine a TV documentary on, say, Taekwondo narrated by Ben Stein. That's Journal of Asian MA.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're just now figuring this out? Magazines, like bad schools, exist to get readers in the door, so to speak. It becomes a constant game of hype and sensationalism, otherwise their attention will be directed elsewhere.
Journal of Asian Martial Arts is noticeably better, but it tends to put me to sleep and suck all the enjoyment out of a dynamic activity. Try to imagine a TV documentary on, say, Taekwondo narrated by Ben Stein. That's Journal of Asian MA.

The original post you quoted was from 2005 and the account is no longer active.

Latest Discussions